Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Michael Crichton

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

finished Sphere

loved every word of it, including prepositions and articles. Punctuation marks, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it fucking incredible? For me, that's the zenith of what great sci-fi could and should be. Such a great novel.

Gunslinger Apprentice Roland number 19 is on a distinguished road Roland number 19's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Recently re-read Jurassic Park and Lost World and I was planning on picking up Sphere in the next few days. This thread solidified that I'll be getting it... tonight.
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Do it, Nick. We all floaaaaaaattttt down here.

Gunslinger Apprentice Roland number 19 is on a distinguished road Roland number 19's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, with peer pressure like that how could I possibly say no?
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Isn't it fucking incredible? For me, that's the zenith of what great sci-fi could and should be. Such a great novel.

Have you read the "Foundation" series by Asimov? Sphere was good SF, but Foundation is classic IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ive enjoyed everything from MC with the possible exception of Rising Sun and the positive exception of Airframe.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I liked Rising Sun. Airframe is about on par with Prey in my book. Entertaining, but Meh, I'll probably never read it again.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Both of those books are mostly dealing with industrial espionage. They were, of course, brilliantly written. However, I was not interested in any aspect of the plot, and was bored to tears.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears are not interested in espionnage, industrial or any other.

Neither are they interested in dinosaurs, science under any sauce, alien bacteria, time travel, octopi, etc, etc, etc....

Bill: I've tried to read Foundation and was sooooooooo bored I had to stop in the middle of [presumably] first book

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a known Japanophile, I think Jean will really enjoy Rising Sun.

Country
    Country Flag

I will enjoy every word, interjection, sneeze or snore Crichton ever uttered.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy Rising Sun, Jean. There is a great deal of insight into Japanese culture in that book. I didnt hate it, I just didnt enjoy it as much as his others.
    But I am incredibly interested in cloned dinosaurs, alien microbes, timetravel, medical phenomena, newly evolved super apes, and general science (even sans sauce).
    Sloth Love Chunk

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked RISING SUN, but I read it in the early '90's when it came out.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished listening to Micro. Very well written and easy to listen to, even though he only wrote about 1/3 of the novel. You can tell when Crichton ended and Richard Preston started because it gets less technical. At least that is my impression.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good collection of interviews with Michael Crichton: http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/9496

Country
    Country Flag

So Jean, wondering what your next Crichton is gonna be.

Country
    Country Flag

I am taking a short pause, or else I'll never read anyone else. I think I'll be trying to follow the chronological order as close as I can when I re-start. I plan to get a new Crichton after I am through with Casual Vacancy.

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a good plan.

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Jean, just wondering, are Crichton's books popular in Russia?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Nevermind, I was confuzzled.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Hey Jean, just wondering, are Crichton's books popular in Russia?
    I think they are.

Country
    Country Flag

friends!!!!!!!!!! people and animals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if someone by any chance hasn't read Eaters of the Dead - do it now!!!

I understand that it is a lesser-known Crichton novel. I be damned! it's more than awesome - it's incredible.

Just to think that he published it four years - four fucking long years! - before Umberto Eco started getting published...

I'll say no more! read it!!!

My Mood
    Breezy

I thought it was good, but not his best by any means. The movie was ok too.

Country
    Country Flag

Huge news! Hard case Crime is putting all of Crichton's early novels written under the John Lange pseudonym back in print over the next month or so:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast