Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How would you like to see it done?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seven Movies

98 51.31%
  • Seven Cartoons

4 2.09%
  • Seven Computer Animated Movies

13 6.81%
  • A Miniseries

34 17.80%
  • Nothing, they could never do it right!

42 21.99%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi all you posters! This thread is going to be moved to Gilead and then taken apart to make two threads. I'm hoping to have it all sorted by sometime tomorrow.

thanks!

~maerlyn

EDIT: UPDATE!

Hi everyone-

Sorry for the mix up and confusion today with these two threads. I have split the two threads that were merged earlier today. Lets try and keep them on topic.

Thank you!!

~maerlyn

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post
    THIS POST IS ENTIRELY MAJOR SPOILERS!

Y'know, after many years of defending this idea, I am now changing my mind: this series should never see film. Now, it's a rumour that J.J. Abrams will do this, right? and that is apparently looking more likely, but I don't care. No one could do this right. I was reading Robin's concordance the other day and was reminded of the Tower's "singing" of sorts. How could anyone possibly make this work on screen? So many other things in the books would also not translate well. I would much rather imagine it in my mind than watch some overrated director's vision of it.

Other things that won't work on film: Jake's age staying consistent, the abortion scene, the demon scenes, mordred, the entire abandoned house sequence with Jake, the concept behind drawing people, wolves of the calla's villains, the ending.

Could these things really work on film? Really?

Absolutely...I think those things could be done on film quite well.
    The biggest obstacle would be Jakes age. I think they'd have to do a Peter Jackson and do all the movies at once. I don't think they could do 7 movies. The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three would have to be one movie. Wastelands and Wizard and Glass another. The last three could be one very long movie...a good 3 and a half hours but, and I know I'll catch hell for saying it but, Wolves of the Calla really could be condensed dramatically as could SoS.

Traveler jmhpfan is on a distinguished road

The only way for the DT series to generate the buzz neccisary to realy pull it off successfuly is to turn it into a massive multi-media event. There need to be games (ARG, RPG, FPS, pen and pape), online viginettes, documentaries, toys, anything and everything possable to grab peolpes intrest. There needs to be as much money put into marketing the series as is put into producing the series. People need to feel like they have to see what this whole Dark Tower thing is about.

Along the Path of the Beam childeluke is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hands down, an HBO Series. Spend a season on each book(12 1 hour episodes) They do really good work. Although they have a horrible history of canceling magnificent shows.......BRING BACK CARNIVALE YOU BASTARDS!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmhpfan View Post
    The only way for the DT series to generate the buzz neccisary to realy pull it off successfuly is to turn it into a massive multi-media event. There need to be games (ARG, RPG, FPS, pen and pape), online viginettes, documentaries, toys, anything and everything possable to grab peolpes intrest. There needs to be as much money put into marketing the series as is put into producing the series. People need to feel like they have to see what this whole Dark Tower thing is about.
    Exactly. I feel if they don't do something like this, it would bomb because its too different from what most folk are used to, especially coming from S.K.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

One of the big problems with making them into movies is that they don't have a genre. They have elements of fantasy, horror, and science fiction but they don't fit any one. This shouldn't be a problem once people start watching but it is getting them to watch in the first place that will be hard. Advertising for a genreless movie is a nearly imposable task. I know alot of people would think that you could bill it as an action movie but that wouldn't work. It is the same problem that advertising the LoTR movies as action movies had, i.e. most of the movies were filled with walking, talking, and more walking.

I think that the only way to advertise effectively is to focus on all of the books different qualities at the same time. Different commercials for the Sci-fi, fantasy, action, horror and philosophical aspects. These adds need to be everywhere. The fan community needs to get behind this buzz and push the hell out of it. If they do this then what ever form the adaptation takes it will be a success if not we will never see the end of the series it will die before we get there.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

LOTR was a lot easier to sell to the public because its well known and already had a giant fan base. The DT is nowhere NEAR as known, sadly. I don't agree that it is no genre, I consider it "multi-genre". I do agree that, that kind of thing is hard sell, especially for movies, where most of the population isn't that interested in having to think about things in a different way.
    They like something easy to define... "good guy here" "bad guy here" "easily understood goal here" insert funny dialogue.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    LOTR was a lot easier to sell to the public because its well known and already had a giant fan base. The DT is nowhere NEAR as known, sadly. I don't agree that it is no genre, I consider it "multi-genre". I do agree that, that kind of thing is hard sell, especially for movies, where most of the population isn't that interested in having to think about things in a different way.
    They like something easy to define... "good guy here" "bad guy here" "easily understood goal here" insert funny dialogue.
    Well said Matt. It's the multi-genre thing that attracts me to it so much, but also what I know will not be an asset with the general public who like things in easily categorized servings. In an ideal world the general public wouldn't matter, it would made for people who would already appreciate it solely because it is what it is, but I agree, there aren't nearly enough of us to make that a realistic possibility. Movies are a business. In the long run, if I don't like whatever film eventually comes, I always have the audiobooks and my very visual imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Well said Matt. It's the multi-genre thing that attracts me to it so much, but also what I know will not be an asset with the general public who like things in easily categorized servings. In an ideal world the general public wouldn't matter, it would made for people who would already appreciate it solely because it is what it is, but I agree, there aren't nearly enough of us to make that a realistic possibility. Movies are a business. In the long run, if I don't like whatever film eventually comes, I always have the audiobooks and my very visual imagination.
    The multi-genre thing is a big attraction for me, but I've always been an "out-of-the-box" thinker. I have no problem with movies being a business, and the fact that those who want to make money will sell something accordingly, but whats nice is that there are folks who do things whether or not they'll make mass appeal.
    Hopefully someone will come along and say "I want to do it right and I have the bucks to do it"..in that case I'm all for making the Dark Tower series into movies. Until then and including, I'm pushing for a full-cast audio drama with sound effects and music.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    The multi-genre thing is a big attraction for me, but I've always been an "out-of-the-box" thinker. I have no problem with movies being a business, and the fact that those who want to make money will sell something accordingly, but whats nice is that there are folks who do things whether or not they'll make mass appeal.
    Hopefully someone will come along and say "I want to do it right and I have the bucks to do it"..in that case I'm all for making the Dark Tower series into movies. Until then and including, I'm pushing for a full-cast audio drama with sound effects and music.
    couldn't agree more on all counts. if it's not going to be done right, i'd rather it not be done at all. a full-on audio version would be an easier to achieve goal, and should def be done, movie or not.

Along the Path of the Beam Valkyrie is on a distinguished road Valkyrie's Avatar

I would love to see Roland and ka-tet on the big screen. I remember that feeling I had as I sat in the theater waiting for the first Lord of the Rings movie to start. I was completely nervous and eager to see it.

My biggest misgiving in seeing it turned into a movie is that I kind of like it's relative obscurity compared to other works of King. In a weird way, even though I know that these books have been read millions of times, I feel like it is a small community of people who felt so much a part of the story. Roland and the ka-tet became real to me. Okay, I know it is simply fiction, but hopefully you'll know what I mean by that statement. I don't know what I'm trying to say. But I think my fear of something being done horribly wrong about the movies would upset me greatly. Way more so than anything in the Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    I Roland and the ka-tet became real to me. Okay, I know it is simply fiction, but hopefully you'll know what I mean by that statement. I don't know what I'm trying to say. But I think my fear of something being done horribly wrong about the movies would upset me greatly. Way more so than anything in the Lord of the Rings.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean and I feel the same, to the word.

The way I have been recently imagining having the story re-told is on the big screen in a manner somewhat like that of Kill Bill with every thing broken up into different sections each with its own feel. I think that the tale of Roland should be told more or less chronologically starting just before his test of manhood. I also think that the tale should be told in its entirety (all of the DT stories should be done as side inserts). Some parts of the tale can be made into net shorts to keep interest up between films. Parts of it can be anime parts live action other parts CGI all of it designed to keep the interest level up. This is a really long story and people need a reason to keep watching and part of that is not making them board. Adding in some of the other DT writings that are more like what people expect from Stephen King will keep them from losing interest in the series.

I also am on the side of showing more of Roland after Mejis and before the fall of Gilead. Lets see what Gunslingers were like before they were wiped out. We also need to see at least one film with Roland helping a town in need before he slaughters the town of Tull. I realize that these suggestions make what is already a monster of a project seem even more outrageous but I think it can be done. I am thinking along the lines of the James Bond series, there are 21 of these films already with plans to make two more already in the works. The DT series deserves no less ambitious an aim. Some will say that they could only accomplish this with multiple actors playing the part of Bond and rightfully so but what harm would there be in that. I see nothing but positive in this regard. Many people complain that if the books were made into movies that it would ruin it for them due to the fact that they would be forever stuck with the image of one actor playing the part of Roland. If there were several different Rolands over the course of the films no one would be stuck in anyone’s mind. It may even get to the point where people start whole websites dedicated to their favorite Roland or Eddie. Wouldn't that be great!

Traveler Modesto is on a distinguished road

Default Dark Towers the next LOST?

As everyone knows, J.J. Abrams is rumored to do some type of film version of the Dark Towers, most people speculating a miniseries. As I was watching the season premier of LOST last night, it kind struck me that it was very likely the Dark Towers could become a big budget television series just like LOST. Do you think its possible that Abrams wants the Dark Towers to be his next show, a couple years from now when LOST concludes?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting idea Modesto, I could certainly handle it in that format.

Great first post, welcome to the site
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler Modesto is on a distinguished road

thanks matt

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You welcome.

Since this is a speculation thread, it will probably be moved out of the "news" forum.

And possibly merged because I believe someone has already started something similar--but I am going to leave that up to the staff to figure out.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been saying this for years. What makes The Dark Tower so good is the journey, how long it takes and the rewards that brings. That's what makes LOST so great, the slow burn, the intricate plot, learning bit by bit the realities of the island. There is too much content to be bottled up into movies. I hear Harry Potter is bad for this, imagine the Dark Tower...

I think it might have to be HBO though...the demon rape scene (kind of crucial to plot) comes to mind when it comes to taboo for TV.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Modesto View Post
    As everyone knows, J.J. Abrams is rumored to do some type of film version of the Dark Towers, most people speculating a miniseries. As I was watching the season premier of LOST last night, it kind struck me that it was very likely the Dark Towers could become a big budget television series just like LOST. Do you think its possible that Abrams wants the Dark Towers to be his next show, a couple years from now when LOST concludes?

I hope not; The Stand mini-series was weak imo.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I'm hoping that The Dark Tower NEVER be done, either as a movie, set of movies, TV series or whatever. I just don't think that whichever way it is done can compare to what I have in my head. All it would take is a mistake in casting (remember Molly Ringwald in The Stand?) to ruin the entire thing. And the things they'd HAVE to leave out!! Thanks, I'll stick to the books.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Actually, I'm hoping that The Dark Tower NEVER be done, either as a movie, set of movies, TV series or whatever. I just don't think that whichever way it is done can compare to what I have in my head. All it would take is a mistake in casting (remember Molly Ringwald in The Stand?) to ruin the entire thing. And the things they'd HAVE to leave out!! Thanks, I'll stick to the books.

John
    John, I couldn't agree more, and the notion of it as a TV series, well that alone is enough to piss me off. If, and I mean IF, it is to be made, the small screen is not the place for a story like this. The TV format, miniseries, full season, whatever, is not the place. The stories are not meant to be told in little one-hour chunks.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I actually liked Molly Ringwald in The Stand. *shrug* Otherwise I agree with you entirely John.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I actually liked Molly Ringwald in The Stand. *shrug* Otherwise I agree with you entirely John.
    Not often we disagree Brice, but here, alas we do. Like John, I use her as an example of how not to cast a Stephen King adaptation.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Not often we disagree Brice, but here, alas we do. Like John, I use her as an example of how not to cast a Stephen King adaptation.
    I just really enjoyed that whole movie for the most part. Oh well, we can't agree on everything.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

truth be told, i didn't love it so much. i use it as an example of why i don't want to "see" dark tower on the screen in anything other than a fully animated version. the idea of using known quantities as actors just rubs me the wrong way.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast