Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Very Best Book You Read Last Year

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Best book of 2009 was Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    I'm with you there, Brownings! Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of my favorite books as of this moment, and definitely worthy of the title "Best Book I Read in 2009". The Dark Tower was amazing, and it is my favorite book I read, but I feel that Bradbury brought more to the table than King this time around.

DT7

Fun fact: I had the outline for a story I wanted to write, and I found out through a Wikipedia article about the Best 100 Novels of the 20th Century that Bradbury had already written that book (SWTWC). That's how I first heard about it. Imagine how amazed and upset I was! However, it was a horribly fantastic narrative and, looking back, I feel he handled the story much more eloquently than I would have.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best of 2012

Much like the thread for movies, this is for your top ten list of the books we read this year. Either this list will be every book you have read this year or a small percentage. Figured with a month left before the end of the year it is a good time, if you read a book in the next 6 weeks thats listworthy edit it up.

1. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    2. Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
    4. Candide by Voltaire
    5. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
    6. The Catcher In The Rye by J. D. Sallinger
    7. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    8. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    9. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    10. The Pianist by Wladislaw Szpilman
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll post mine in December. Top 10 2012 books and top 10 non-2012 books that I've read this year.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the most recent book ive read all year was Under The Dome.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Dang, I'm at 26 2012 books already and I think I'll read at least 5 more by year end.

I'll start now with 2012:

Railsea - China Mieville
    Pure - Julianna Baggott
    The Fleshless Man - Norman Prentiss
    The Underdwelling or Puppet Graveyard - Tim Curran
    Hide Me Among the Graves - Tim Powers

I'm still reading The Twelve by Cronin and I won't have time to read Nothing As It Seems by Tim Lebbon but I've read most of the stories already. Those two will be on the list for sure. In the words of Rorschach... "Hrm"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears have read tons of great stuff this year, will post later, now the first things that come to mind:

1. Crichton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (all the four books I've read so far)
    2. Shirley Jackson. The Haunting of Hill House
    3. J.K.Rowling. The Casual Vacancy
    4. Joe Hill. Horns
    5. Dan Simmons. Summer of Night

absolutely adored all of the above

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

let's see...so far, I think I can some up with these at least? I didn't read very many new books this year, unfortunately...a lot of re-reads.

1. This Book is Full of Spiders - David Wong
    2. Black House - Stephen King/Peter Straub
    3. Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
    4. The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz
    5. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

How is Black House? It sounded intriguing on the jacket.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I really, really liked it. It was creepy, horrifying, and awesome. it's now one of my favorite King novels, actually

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what Jen said

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Black House is one of my absolute favourite King books too. Imagine a life without having known Henry Leyden?! Matt, you should read it immediately!!

Jean, what did you like about Casual Vacancy? I couldn't stand it, I found it very tedious - I'm interested to know why Bears liked it!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Jean, what did you like about Casual Vacancy? I couldn't stand it, I found it very tedious - I'm interested to know why Bears liked it!
    I relished every sentence. I'll try to post a review.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sadly this was a very slow year for books for me. I don't think I even read ten books in all. The best would have to be 11/22/63. Inspired by Jean's fervor for Crichton, I'm hoping to read and re-read the entire MC oeuvre next year. That's my upcoming New Year's resolution.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

No particular order, but here is my favorite 10 from this year.
    1. Horns -Joe Hill
    2. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
    3. All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
    4. Gullivers Travels - Jonathan Swift
    5. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    6. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - H.S. Thompson
    7. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    8. A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    9. Black House - SK
    10. The Twelve - Justin Cronin
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    1. Horns -Joe Hill
    4. Gullivers Travels - Jonathan Swift
    9. Black House - SK

Country
    Country Flag

The year is nearing the end! Time to choose which is the best book you've read in 2013

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Best of 2013

1. VERY BEST = Joyland

2. Life of Pi
    3. Peter Pan
    4. Lolita
    5. Last of the Mohicans
    6. Dr. Sleep
    7. Cat's Cradle
    8. NOS4A2
    9. Rose Madder
    10. The Turner Diaries
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

I've read such a lot this year that it's hard to pick the winner... Cloud Atlas and Joyland are sure among the best, but there's also Crichton... Luckily, we still have time make up our minds before the end of the year.

I believe the very best book I read this year, though, is The Terror by Dan Simmons.

I was surprised now, when I looked at my booklist, and found that I only read The Terror this year. I feel like I've lived most of my life with it.

The other best book is Watership Down... so hard to chose between the two!

Gunslinger Apprentice evilash is on a distinguished road evilash's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Not only the best book I read this year but may be the best book I have ever read.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read very many books this year but if I had to choose a top five it would be:

1. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    2. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
    3. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    4. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
    5. Blindness - Jose Saramago

I plan on reading a few books so it might change.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

In no particular order
    The Wind Through the Keyhole - King
    11/22/63 - King
    Joyland - King
    Olympos and Ilium - Dan Simmons
    Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
    Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
    All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
    Ex Utero - Laurie Foos (funniest book I have read in years)
    Vox - Nicholson Baker (sexy, sexy, sexy)
    Mondo Barbie - (funny, sexy, demented, what more could you want in a short story collection?)
    The Dante Club - Mathew Pearl
    Burnt Offerings - Robert Marasco
    The Lord of the Rings - ashamed to admit I had never read them

I will try to narrow it to one after thinking further

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dr. Sleep, hands down!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Dr. Sleep, hands down!!!
    I still haven't read it - gotta get to over my XMAS break from school.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tough to say but going to throw out NOS4A2 for now.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast