Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Under The Dome

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I did like the novel a lot, despite the anti-religious fervor which was way too heavy-handed. So I'm glad they've toned that down. I had no problem with King's "reason" for the dome in the novel. In fact, I really liked the explanation. I did wish for a better comeuppance for Big Jim though.
    I agree with every word of that.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I read the book I really didn't think of a lot of it as anti-religious fervor, I thought it was anti-religious hypocrisy. In other words, people that act religious but act opposite what they profess to believe. Big Jim was the perfect example of this - outwardly religious but willing to do anything to promote his interests no matter how corrupt because he knows better than everyone else.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    You really couldn't portray Junior as in the novel. Keeping and molesting dead girls stashed in a closet? Becoming a shambling tumor-ridden wreck in a matter of days? No way that works in a TV series.
    Of course you could. Not on CBS, maybe, but on HBO, or Showtime, or Starz, or Netflix...? Of course you could. And maybe that's part of the problem. Should this be on a network, where it has to be at least partially defanged? I'd say not.
    I agree that you "could" in the sense that HBO or whatever wouldn't be constrained by network standards. But that's not what I meant. I meant it's just not interesting for a 13-episode (or more) series. There's no character arc. Having him interact with a live girl and not be all tumor-wracked is more interesting from a plotting standpoint. He can be a much better foil in the TV series the way they're portraying him. IMO.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

I agree with you that the route they are going -- or seem to be going -- in the series is more interesting. I wasn't sold on that aspect of the series during the first two episodes, but the third got me a lot more interested.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm enjoyed the show so far as well. the 1st episode i thought was ok. not great but ok. the 2nd one was far better i think. and i didn't watch last nights episode cause it was raining like a mother fucker here. and we have DISH so our signal was shit. so i prolly will download or stream it sometime this week.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    When I read the book I really didn't think of a lot of it as anti-religious fervor, I thought it was anti-religious hypocrisy. In other words, people that act religious but act opposite what they profess to believe. Big Jim was the perfect example of this - outwardly religious but willing to do anything to promote his interests no matter how corrupt because he knows better than everyone else.
    But it was so over the top that it really damaged King's ability to make that point. Also, and this was my biggest problem with the portrayal, it was not a matter of a person using the appearance of religion to take advantage of people. THAT I could buy and understand. But King was very clear to show that Big Jim really was a very strong Jesus believer. He wouldn't cuss. He prayed. Etc. In his own private thoughts. Not merely outwardly religious. And I have a hard time believing that somebody who was devout enough to never say a cuss word would have no problem murdering folks and doing the evil things he did. Sure, we all have our private vices and weaknesses and hypocrisies. But King might as well have put horns and a tail on him and had him twirl a snidely whiplash mustache. I wanted to hate Big Jim. But how can you hate a cartoon?

But enough about the novel. I'm glad all that's toned down in the TV show. I won't mind if they show Jim using religion to manipulate folks or whatever. That would be par for the course for a whole lot of politicians or egomaniacal wannabe tinpot dome dictators.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just watched the new episode. It's definitely moving a little slow for me now. Three episodes in, I should feel like something (in plot or characters) has changed. I wish they'd spend a little more time with Phil and Dodee, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i'm enjoyed the show so far as well. the 1st episode i thought was ok. not great but ok. the 2nd one was far better i think. and i didn't watch last nights episode cause it was raining like a mother fucker here. and we have DISH so our signal was shit. so i prolly will download or stream it sometime this week.
    I missed the latest episode as well, but I noticed on Sunday night that they were re-running the 2nd episode at 9 PM. So I'm hoping I'll be able to catch the one I missed this coming Sunday.

I know FX does this with a lot of their shows as well.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    My wife gets tired of me comparing Game of Thrones to the books they are based on so she was wondering why I wasn't doing the same for this. I told her that the show and book were so different that there wasn't really a point. I am just going to watch and hope that the show turns out alright. It's obvious so many things are different that we don't know what's going to happen.
    That's why I like the Game of Thrones show, it follows the books for the most part. I've enjoyed the books because they are so freaking good. I enjoy the show because they aren't try making it better or different to give a new angle.

Also, CBS could certainly allude to that fact that Junior is banging dead chicks and has a tumor. Hannibal showed what they did after 10pm. So HBO or not, CBS could have done that.

As much as we debate about it, this show isn't as good as others. Don't feel bad, you're not going to hurt SK's feelings

I'm glad some of you are enjoying this version of SK's story, but episode 4 will probably be my last one, I can use that time to read actual SK material.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

One more thing, say The Dark Tower is turned into a show, who is going to be okay with the tv show changing everything except for the "idea" of the story? Roland is young, Jake and Eddie are combined into one character, Susan isn't paralyzed. I wouldn't be cool with that!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I don't think you can really make that comparison. Some of the changes they are making to the show are because they want to continue the story line for much longer than the couple of weeks it lasted in the novel.

If they decided to do a TV show rather than movies for the TDT (which I'm doubting anyway), there is enough material to make 10+ seasons out of it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Jake'd be 18 by the time that was finished. It would never work.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure you can stream all the Under the Dome episodes on the CBS website for free, for those who missed any.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

thanxs for the link

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Tonight's episode was a heck of a lot better.

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Another boring episode with another red herring plot and the actors seeming as bored as I was.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Big Jim gonna kill ha .

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I liked tonight's, too. That shot of Joe sitting up and making the "shhh!" face during the video was creepy.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This episode was better even if some elements were ridiculous (an outbreak that starts and ends in one day).

Country
    Country Flag

This episode was better even if some elements were ridiculous (an outbreak that starts and ends in one day).
    IS that actually ridiculous, though? I'm too dumb to know one way or the other.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Finally just got caught up on the past two episodes. I don't hate it, but I was hoping for so much more from this show. I loved the book, but the show just isn't connecting as well for me. Like someone else above mentioned, I really have no connection to any of the characters in the show yet, and it's already 4 eps in. I think we should be feeling something for them by now.

But did we really need the whole "my two lesbian moms" angle? There's no reason Norrie couldn't have been a town girl.
    I completely agree. I don't get this either. I think they should have just made Norrie someone from town, and left out the moms. I'm not sure if it's the actresses or what, but they don't even seem like they're in love or a family or anything. So far it's just been wasted screen time for me.

I agree about the outbreak part. Was anything like that in the book. I can't remember, it's been so long since I read it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    they don't even seem like they're in love or a family or anything.
    This made me laugh.

And I'm willing to bet that the reason for their inclusion in the show is that somewhere down the road as everyone gets more violent, the town's going to start turning on each other and looking for people to blame (the two moms being among the targeted) and the "hate" crime mixed with their injuries (maybe even death?) will show just how much animalistic the town has become.

If they go that route, it could be pretty powerful. But if not, yeah, it's just CBS checking off another demographic on their list.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

One thing that bothered me in the last episode is when the nurse asked the one mom if she had a medical degree and the other mom actually answered for her.

It's a small thing and it may be just me but I was thinking, "Jeez lady, she has a mouth, let her answer for herself."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    One thing that bothered me in the last episode is when the nurse asked the one mom if she had a medical degree and the other mom actually answered for her.

It's a small thing and it may be just me but I was thinking, "Jeez lady, she has a mouth, let her answer for herself."
    LOL I'm thinking she's the "Husband" in their partnership. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't really read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned/discussed prior, but the one comment I'll make about the show (which I am enjoying) is that I don't hate any of the characters yet, like I did in the book....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast