Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 892 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 186 586 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 22277

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what Brice said

verbatim

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My opinions are whaterver my wife lets me have!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool...you do know she consults us for your opinions, right?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That would not surprise me either

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to post back to the $399 price.

The people on the waiting list that did get a copy of Legacies (myself included) got the book at cost back when it was posted 10 years ago: $200 plus free shipping. That's what I paid for the book yesterday. No markup and not even any shipping charges, and trust me when I say I was surprised CD was selling these to the waiting list people at cost. I was thrilled.

Now if CD is selling $399 copies for previous customers that's their prerogative, but it's different than the stock CD had left to offer waiting list customers. Those were sold at cost and there was nothing fishy about it.
    Geoff

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree on that one.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

The people on the waiting list that did get a copy of Legacies (myself included) got the book at cost back when it was posted 10 years ago: $200 plus free shipping. That's what I paid for the book yesterday. No markup and not even any shipping charges, and trust me when I say I was surprised CD was selling these to the waiting list people at cost. I was thrilled.

Now if CD is selling $399 copies for previous customers that's their prerogative, but it's different than the stock CD had left to offer waiting list customers. Those were sold at cost and there was nothing fishy about it.
    I was never a potential customer, so it had no effect on me...but I think they could have waited a few weeks before sending out the second email...like has been posted before, it just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths:

"waiting list copies are just $200! Oh wait, sorry, I meant $400..." Back to back like that, it's just sketchy. But...I have no real gripe with CD reselling on a customers behalf (I don't know why they'd bother, but that's their business).

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    My opinions are whaterver my wife lets me have!

Gunslinger Apprentice nyy3723a is on a distinguished road nyy3723a's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

I was never a potential customer, so it had no effect on me...but I think they could have waited a few weeks before sending out the second email...like has been posted before, it just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths:

"waiting list copies are just $200! Oh wait, sorry, I meant $400..." Back to back like that, it's just sketchy. But...I have no real gripe with CD reselling on a customers behalf (I don't know why they'd bother, but that's their business).

The fact that CD sold copies to Wait Listers for the issue price should show that they aren't manipulating things the way people have said. The could have easily ignored the Wait List and put the remaining copies up as "Other Collectors" copies for twice as much, but they didn't.

I give CD credit for not taking advantage of a situation that they easily could have.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Geoff.

I added myself to the waiting list recently and then got the email saying I was way too low on the list to have received a book.

I don't recall receiving the follow-up email, so only saw it here.

As someone who wanted a book and didn't receive one, here is my two cents:

I have no problem with CD selling unclaimed/rejected books for whatever price they want. I wouldn't have even thought it unfair if CD had chosen to double the price for the waitlisters. As long as the original preorder customers are not jerked around on price, everything that is decided later regarding prices is fair game for the seller to decide - whether its the original publisher or someone else on eBay.

Again, just my personal opinion.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

But...I have no real gripe with CD reselling on a customer's behalf (I don't know why they'd bother, but that's their business).
    They sell the book on the customer's behalf because they take a piece of the action (they are running a business after all). They have already sold the book for $200 to customer "A" 10 years ago. Now they sell the same book to customer "B" for $400. $300 goes to customer "A" and $100 goes to CD (I am just making these figures up, but a 75/25 split seems about right). In the end, customer "A" gets their original purchase price back plus $100, CD gets $300 for the book, and customer "B" gets the option to buy a book he/or she wants. Everybody wins.

I have no problems with this, as long as there really is a customer "A".

I am really happy that things have turned around for CD. I have a lot of books (over $1,500 worth) on order with them, and if all goes well, I will be getting most or all of them this year. I have always been happy with the quality of the CD books, my only complaint has been their delivery....and now that problem seems to be on the mend.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    That is my problem with this.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm standing up for CD here. I've been customer A on another book. They sold the book for me, I made a small profit, they made a little for the trouble, and the customer received the book.

I can name two (but I won't here) publishers that took books back at published price and sold them on Ebay for a healthy profit. I'm not saying that's wrong, but CD allowed me to partake in the profit a little as customer A.

Ralph Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I'm standing up for CD here. I've been customer A on another book. They sold the book for me, I made a small profit, they made a little for the trouble, and the customer received the book.

I can name two (but I won't here) publishers that took books back at published price and sold them on Ebay for a healthy profit. I'm not saying that's wrong, but CD allowed me to partake in the profit a little as customer A.

Ralph Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Yeah, that's basically fair...really, it's a consignment sale. If they took some book from 3-4 years ago back and sold it for a customer, nobody would care.

It's just the timing...they should have waited before announcing it, rather than sending two back to back emails.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

Ralph Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Under normal circumstances I would agree. But in the case of a book that is 10 years late I would think they would want to stay away from any and all controversy. Instead of a mass email they could have followed up discreetly with individual contacts until the items were sold. The fact that it is being debated on this board indicates an error in judgement.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I have had CD sell a book for me in the past, and was happy with the outcome. They charged me more to sell the book than ebay would have, but being an actual business instead of just some random seller on ebay (even though I have an impeccable reputation), they were able to get a higher price for the book than I could have. In the end, I felt I did better using them as the middle man instead of using ebay.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, after much decision making over the weekend, I decided to go ahead and order one of the $399 copies of Legacies. My reasons:

1) The book really looks like a very nice quality production with a great group of signatures.
    2) I don't think that a lot of copies are going to be readily available on the secondary market. It seems like if you've been waiting 10+ years for the book, you're going to keep it.

This certainly is the most expensive book purchase so far in my growing collection. I fear this will lead to more $400+ purchases, as I'm finding that I can't stop

Well, I actually feel the opposite...I think a lot of original purchasers are probably not that serious collectors anymore, and will probably sell right away.

But, $400's still a good price...it is a good set of sigs, and that's probably close to what the secondary market will bear.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I actually feel the opposite...I think a lot of original purchasers are probably not that serious collectors anymore, and will probably sell right away.

But, $400's still a good price...it is a good set of sigs, and that's probably close to what the secondary market will bear.
    I keep hearing this phrase "serious collector" What exactly does this mean? Does "serious collector" mean people who spend a lot of money ($400) on books? Does it mean people who collect every book an author (Stephen King) ever wrote? Does it mean a person who buys books signed by famous authors?

I just wanted to let you know we posted a shipping update today:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/SHIPPING

I'm also preparing the new production update on The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) and we'll be starting the dedicated "The Secretary of Dreams 2 Shipping Page" later this week, so I have a place to post news and specfic updates for anyone who is interested in that process and our progress. The books are on track to begin shipping October 15th.

Best wishes,
    Brian Freeman
    http://www.CemeteryDance.com

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post

I keep hearing this phrase "serious collector" What exactly does this mean? Does "serious collector" mean people who spend a lot of money ($400) on books? Does it mean people who collect every book an author (Stephen King) ever wrote? Does it mean a person who buys books signed by famous authors?
    I used to be a "serious collector." I paid attention to every annoucement about every signed limited edition, every potential signing appearance, etc. I would schedule my life around the on-sales for limited editions so I could get copies. I would spend extra money to buy multiple copies of s/l editions, some for resale, some for hoarding. Not only would I spend $400 - I would spend $4000+ on certain books.

Now...not so much...I have my core collection, but I'm not looking to expand it, so much as pick and choose a few specific limited editions that I only want if I can get them at rock bottom prices. So I'm not a serious collector anymore...I have a serious collection, but not a growing one.

If I had ordered "Legacies," for instance, I probably would try to sell it soon after I got it...it wouldn't be a book I'd really try to hang onto (even though it's a cool set of sigs), if I thought I could make a profit.

So that's what I mean by who is and who is not a "serious collector," but that's only my definition.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I keep hearing this phrase "serious collector" What exactly does this mean?
    If you were one you would know

a. You would be skint.
    b. You would lie to your partner.
    c. You would spend all your waking hours on ebay.

etc.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFreeman View Post
    The books are on track to begin shipping October 15th.
    Does this include the signed/numbered and the signed/lettered editions, or just the trade?

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just wanted to let you know we posted a shipping update today:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/SHIPPING

I'm also preparing the new production update on The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) and we'll be starting the dedicated "The Secretary of Dreams 2 Shipping Page" later this week, so I have a place to post news and specfic updates for anyone who is interested in that process and our progress. The books are on track to begin shipping October 15th.

Best wishes,
    Brian Freeman
    Very cool Brian!

Life is a garden...dig it!

The books are on track to begin shipping October 15th.
    Does this include the signed/numbered and the signed/lettered editions, or just the trade?
    The Gift Edition and the Signed/Numbered will be shipping at the same time.

The Lettered Edition's "book blocks" will be sent to our hand-binder, the one who finished Volume One's Lettered Edition for us. He's already ordered the French Marbled endpapers, the binding material, etc, but I think the first step in the process is the page edge gilding, which is done by an outside company. I think that takes about two weeks. Then the books will be back in his hands for the binding process.

Our deluxe traycase/box/display guy has ordered the material he needs and he's actually already cutting the boards for the box.

I'm not going to guess at a specific pub date for the Lettered Edition just yet because I don't like putting dates out there if I'm not 100% sure of them -- both of these guys work by hand, so there could be any kind of delay at this stage -- but we'll be sending out some direct email updates to the customers as we soon as we have a better idea of the exact timeframe.

Best wishes,
    Brian Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 892 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 186 586 ... LastLast