Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LOST and the Dark Tower

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    This is random but the baseball that Dogan was playing with in the first episode reminded me so much of Rennie in Under the Dome. Not that Dogan reminded me of Rennie...just the baseball. Dumb of me but I just finished that book a few weeks ago.
    I did think it was random that he was messing around with a baseball...
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

One of the more straight forward connections is that Henry Gales balloon that crashed on the Island has a logo on the side saying its sponsered by Nozz-a-La cola....the same brand of cola King invented for some alternate worlds in the Dark Tower series and Kingdom Hospital.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

That's pretty sweet. How could I have missed that?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It wasn't very big:

From the Henry Gale article: Henry Gale arrived on the Island in a balloon. At some point he died of a broken neck, and Ben took on his identity. Henry was buried in a grave near the balloon, although Ben claimed (in the guise of Henry) that his wife was buried there. Sayid dug up Henry's corpse, uncovering Ben's ruse. In Henry's wallet was a Minnesota driver's license and a $20 bill with a note to his wife written on it. The balloon was sponsored and/or manufactured by Widmore Corporation and Minnesota Metallurgy, of which Henry was the Founder & CEO. It was also sponsored by Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack and Nozz-A-La Cola.

From the Nozz-a-La article: The decal logo does not match King's description (identical to Coca-Cola's except for the name); however, that is likely a trademark issue.

Another interesting point from the Henry Gale article: "Henry Gordon Gale" was an American physicist in the early 1900s who worked at the Mount Wilson Observatory in Pasadena, California. Gale was also editor of the Astrophysical Journal from 1912 to 1940, and authored several books and papers, including First Course in Physics with Robert Millikan, who won a Nobel Prize in 1923 for his work with the electron and the photoelectric effect (which is related to Einstein's theories).
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Amused

Very interesting, Woofer! Thanks for posting that.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Glad to help.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Glad to help.
    are you really i thought you wantd to keep them seperate

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Glad to help.
    are you really i thought you wantd to keep them seperate
    No, really, I am. I just don't want a huge SURPRISE! it's the TOWER! ending. I like the little connections for those in the know, but there's not been nearly enough DT emphasis in the series for it to end based on TDT (IMNSHO).

By the way, candy you look lovely this evening.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't rule out the Dark Tower ending as a possibility, however I don't think that is the ending that the writers want to go with. They have created an amazing show so far, and I don't think the ending will be close to that of the Dark Tower. I do however think that The MIB & Jacob have been playing this game for a lot longer than we think.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Worried

1. God, I hope not.
    2. Not longer than I think; in fact, I could be thinking too long.

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

Anyone else almost shit there pants when the light house panned into veiw? I was like "HOLY SHIT! THE TOWER!". Anyone else relize that Jacks going through something similair to Jake and Roland in the Wastlands?

my friend and i just thought of this

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

dont no why this didnt go through for the above.

Gunslinger Apprentice jos is on a distinguished road jos's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I also thought it looked like a smaller version of the tower. Awesome.

Traveler jreidy is on a distinguished road

i think the main thing (other than some of the more blatant references) about Lost that resembles the Dark Tower is this parallel timeline that's going on.

i might have mentioned the end of the Dark Tower regarding Susannah and what happens to her has a similar feel to how the flash sideways characters
    Spoiler:
    are reacting to each other i.e. kind of recognizing each other like eddie, suze and jake did in central park.

sorry for all the spoiler tags....don't want to ruin anything.

as for the ending of Lost, i do think they could end it similar to the Dark Tower but in a way that they will avoid that particular ending.....
    Spoiler:
    they might be in a loop too and we're seeing the process of them breaking the loop.

oh yeah! the boy who appears to fake Locke and Sawyer? how about when
    Spoiler:
    the beam appears to Sheemie in the form of a young boy to tell him it's not too late?
    my guess is the boy is
    Spoiler:
    a representation of the island
    just like in the Dark Tower.

again sorry for all the tags...you just never know.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by jreidy View Post
    sorry for all the spoiler tags....don't want to ruin anything.

<snip>

again sorry for all the tags...you just never know.
    No apologies necessary. Earlier in the thread I quoted the spoiler requirements for this forum. You did exactly right.

Did you know the second spoiler tag allows you to name the item to which the spoiler applies? In other words, you can make your spoilers very specific so that folks know which they want to click (or not).

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Thanks, jreidy, for following the spoiler guidelines.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

posted this in the Lost thread but I think it also applies here too.

I have a thought about Lost and the similarities between it and the dark tower series. Now I'm just writing off the top of my head so I hope it makes sense. Don't read if you haven't finished the last book
    Dark Tower ending/ Lost side ways reality

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Book Club in Lost, Season 3 (Video from YouTube)

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's funny, because during the episode tonight my friend brought up a very good reference to the Stand.
    Spoiler:
    The MiB doesn't just give Richard freedom, like in the Stand when Flagg is in the jail. The only way to get freedom it to become a minion of Flagg, or the MiB in this case.
    It just seamed like a huge SK reference, and I'm lucky to have friends that love Stephen King as much as I do.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    It's funny, because during the episode tonight my friend brought up a very good reference to the Stand.
    Spoiler:
    The MiB doesn't just give Richard freedom, like in the Stand when Flagg is in the jail. The only way to get freedom it to become a minion of Flagg, or the MiB in this case.
    It just seamed like a huge SK reference, and I'm lucky to have friends that love Stephen King as much as I do.
    And we're lucky the writers love King as much as we do.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

it is cool finding all the connections!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tik View Post
    One of the more straight forward connections is that Henry Gales balloon that crashed on the Island has a logo on the side saying its sponsered by Nozz-a-La cola....the same brand of cola King invented for some alternate worlds in the Dark Tower series and Kingdom Hospital.
    Yeah, in the same vein as the Apollo Candy bars which, if I remember correctly could almost be lifted staright out of DT. Wasn't there a car maker reference too?

More obvious is the entire MIB/Jacob/backgammon/rock dynamic white vs black. I also can't shake the whole impression of the Losties somehow making a "Stand" against evil/MIB, ala the book, during or ending the show. jacob has very much taken the position of Mother Abigail's "God" in "The Stand".

There's so many its hard to remember them all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Theory about Desmond and how he plays a role in the show through the dark tower books. Now it's been a few years since I read the series but Desmond is the character we see at the end who draws and erases the Crimson king.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know this was shown to be wrong (I think), but I kept getting a "Jack Sawyer" vibe to Desmond in 6.11. Just couldn't shake it for some reason. Also, big whiff of Roland, Mort and Eddie from DOTT. Anyone else?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler HorribleEyes is on a distinguished road

Default "LOST"/"Dark Tower" comparisons...

Hey,

I'm new here, and new to the whole "forum" thing. I am a member of the site "Lostpedia." It's through "LOST" I discovered "DT." On "Lostpedia" I am part of a book club that dissects the similarities between the show and certain books. The "DT" series was definitly a HEAVY influence on "LOST." Unfortunatly, with the show over, the discussions/traffic on LP is...dwindling. I was just wondering if there were any folks on here who were not ONLY "DT" fans, but "LOST" fans as well who'd like to discuss the similarities.

Hope I did that correctly! Thankee Sai!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I will reserve comment, but Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast