Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Actors and their craft

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Actors and their craft

christian bale is batman. no one else came close.
    but Bale always puts 150% into his roles so i would have been surprised if he had not been good.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

<-- still can't stand that Bale does that rediculous whisper talk through the whole Dark Knight movie. I just want to hand him a Sucret and tell him to get over himself.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam pookie is on a distinguished road pookie's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

turtlex doesn't like Christian Bale regardless of what role he plays or how he speaks.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by pookie View Post
    turtlex doesn't like Christian Bale regardless of what role he plays or how he speaks.
    Hey!! This is not true !!!

I thought he was GREAT in American Psycho. I loved Velvet Goldmine and he was fantastic in Empire of the Sun.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You left out Little Women.

My Mood
    Gay

You left out Little Women.
    Yes. I did.

( Peter Lawford will always be Laurie ... 1949 )

ETA : From Friends...

Joey: Uh, now Rach? These, ah, these little women...
    Rachel: Yeah?
    Joey: How little are they? I mean, are they, like, scary little?

Joey: Oh, yeah! Amy just burned Jo's manuscript. I don't see how he could ever forgive her.
    Ross: Um, Jo's a girl, it's short for Josephine.
    Joey: But Jo's got a crush on Laurie. Ohhh! You mean it's like a girl-girl thing? 'Cause that is the one thing missing from The Shining.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As you know, my dad would not let us watch anything that was filmed in black and white, therefore I've never seen the 1949 version.

Joey loves sandwiches. pookie loves sandwiches.

Really, though, back on topic, I agree with you dear, about the raspy voice. I'm not really sure why he went that direction. I mean, there must have been a reason.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Really, though, back on topic, I agree with you dear, about the raspy voice. I'm not really sure why he went that direction. I mean, there must have been a reason.
    Trying to hide BW's identity, but surely they could've built a voice synthesizer into the suit.

BTW, I agree about the voice - very annoying. In fact, Mr. Woofer's actually saying he doesn't want to watch the rest bec of that and not being able to hear half of what anyone was saying!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Hey!! This is not true !!!

I thought he was GREAT in American Psycho. I loved Velvet Goldmine and he was fantastic in Empire of the Sun.
    What about The Machinist?

And Bale will always be my favorite Batman.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

What about The Machinist?
    i was just about to ask this.

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and don't forget equilibrium.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

the machinist was just fantastic!!! I loved that film.
    Equilibrium also another very good film.
    Also loved Prestige.
    I dont remember him having a raspy voice in his earlier work? do you think its when he started with the american accent in main stream theatre?

His worst film would probably be reign of fire. not the bet film ever

My Mood
    Gay

Yea... eventually I'm gonna sneak out of here quietly before I get flamed to bloody hell...but first, I have to comment - you so knew I would.

I just don't get the whole Bale thing. He's not that great an actor. He has his moments, but honestly, for every good movie he's done - he's done one equally as bad.

The DK voice was rediculous. It was stupid... Dude?!? You're in a mask. I would love to know who's idea that was. I am willing to bet it was not Nolan's. It comes off as completely cheesy to me.

And how can DK belong to anyone except Ledger. He steals every scene he's in.

Isn't saying Bale is the best Batman like saying ... never mind. We haven't exactly had a plethora of "good" Batm...Batmen to compare him with.

The Machinist - Meh. Weight loss. Wow. Gee.
    The Prestige - Oh My ... I thought it was just so boring.

People... wanna see bad? He's got a list... Laurel Canyon. Captain Corelli's Mandolin. ( sorry sweetie ) the remake of Little Women. Reign of Fire. ???

Honestly, he sorta peaked with Newsies!

Okay, I'm out on the Bale thing now. I know you all love him, so I'm bowing out.

Yea... my movie snobbery is definitely showing.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea... eventually I'm gonna sneak out of here quietly before I get flamed to bloody hell...but first, I have to comment - you so knew I would.

I just don't get the whole Bale thing. He's not that great an actor. He has his moments, but honestly, for every good movie he's done - he's done one equally as bad.

The DK voice was rediculous. It was stupid... Dude?!? You're in a mask. I would love to know who's idea that was. I am willing to bet it was not Nolan's. It comes off as completely cheesy to me.

And how can DK belong to anyone except Ledger. He steals every scene he's in.

Isn't saying Bale is the best Batman like saying ... never mind. We haven't exactly had a plethora of "good" Batm...Batmen to compare him with.

The Machinist - Meh. Weight loss. Wow. Gee.
    The Prestige - Oh My ... I thought it was just so boring.

People... wanna see bad? He's got a list... Laurel Canyon. Captain Corelli's Mandolin. ( sorry sweetie ) the remake of Little Women. Reign of Fire. ???

Honestly, he sorta peaked with Newsies!

Okay, I'm out on the Bale thing now. I know you all love him, so I'm bowing out.

Yea... my movie snobbery is definitely showing.

i love you for your snobbery

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Exactly. Val Kilmer? George Clooney? Michael Keaton?

I'm not a Bale fanatic and I don't know who I would've chosen had I been in charge of casting, but I do think that he makes a better Batman and a better Bruce Wayne than anyone we've seen since ever.

IMO, since Batman doesn't have any "powers" and relies only on just training and gadgets, getting the actor right is critical. I agree about the voice issue, as I already mentioned, and while he wears a mask, it's just not enough of a disguise. I think he should mask his voice using a highly sophisticated digital voice synthesizer manufactured by the Wayne corporation and built into his suit.

And while HL stole the movie with his performance, other people and aspects were great as well. (ETA: Damn, I posted while not finished. I blame Mr. Woofer.) In fact, HL's performance alone being great would be less so were the others not complimentary. I think that the intricate plot also added to this. As a fan of a lot of bad movies, I can confidently state that a single performance, no matter how great, is rarely enough to save a movie. (Not to say that HL wasn't awesome. Srsly, Jack Nicholson should be fucking jealous. Jesus.) A diamond in a pile of shit is still in a pile of shit, and The Dark Knight was far from shit.

Last edited by Woofer; 08-09-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Err, to make sense?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Even if they were though, Heath made them all look mediocre in comparison.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i have a hard hat on when i say this but
    Spoiler:
    while HL was good, i dont get all the raves bout him in DK, and i feel that had he not died the reviews would not be as raving.

ok that me running out behind Pam

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i have a hard hat on when i say this but
    Spoiler:
    while HL was good, i dont get all the raves bout him in DK, and i feel that had he not died the reviews would not be as raving.

ok that me running out behind Pam
    I agree with the second part of your spoiler comment.

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, I gotta pop back in... on account of it being about Heath Ledger and not ... you know, that other guy in Dark Knight.

Spoiler:
    I think what is absolutely amazing about Ledger's performance is the utter immersion in the role. He literally disappeared behind the make-up and still managed to project menace, hurt and evil.

I disagree, wholeheartedly, about the kudos coming because of his death. There was a lot of set talk and leaking of comments to the press, about Ledgers performance ... they were already talking Oscar, long before his unfortunate death.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ok, runs in opposite directions away from Pam
    i agree that HL did a fine job, what annoys is people who jumped on the band wagon, a lot of times not even seeing the film.

My Mood
    Worried

I also agree with you, Pam, as strange as it may sound. I know it seems as if I am agreeing with everyone, but that's only because I believe parts of each.

Spoiler:
    That is to say that I agree with HL's performance. I'm glad that I waited to see it (since I missed it in the theater, another story) because the hype around it had spoiled it a bit in advance. The cooling off period allowed me to come to the movie with a more receptive mind. (I feel like BW in the party giving the "I believe in Harvey Dent" speech. )

HOWEVER, death always brings out more commentary, more reviews, more people who claimed to know that he was going to come to this spot from the first second they saw him in Roar, etc. That's what I mean about his death fueling the raving reviews. What's the old joke? If you want your art to be successful, you need to die.

My Mood
    Gay

Did anyone see Heath in "Candy"? Amazing.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Worried

Don't worry. I won't say anything else.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, this thread... this thread ...

In the words of Arnold : I'll be back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast