Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Complete Speculation Ahead

Could he be getting boxes of unopened books from King himself? It my memory serves me right (I'm sure Br!an or Stroppy will have the post ready if it exists) Gerald was at the NLR party where King distributed the books. That being said it would make either him or someone he knows as close friend or relative of King to be invited to such event. He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.
    I am going to say no... and here is why. Gerald REALLY is hoping King visits. He does posts on FB all the time about him stopping in. Neat things he tries (he has a Stephen King chair like a directors chair he puts out front of his shop for instance) to incite him to stop by. I am shocked King has not as of yet but probably because King is in Florida for the most part for the winter. I have spoke to him on King stopping by actually... I think it would be a very very big deal for him (and his shop) for King to make that visit. Just my thoughts.. but very cool idea for sure.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.
    Sounds like a characteristic a collector would like to see in a dealer.
    You can't be aloof until you advertise.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's more simple: contact retailers, distributors and owners of bookstores from decades ago that you might have contact with, ask for old boxes with stuff not sold or distributed and offer a good deal. Almost ten years ago I visited Grant Books and I saw A LOT of things that weren't for sale. It's not hard to picture that in one box there are The Gunslinger DJs, or slipcases, or whatever. Then you add some sparks around the item and it's done.

By the way, the buyer of the Thinner copies wasn't a collector but Pete from PS Publishing. And these were announced for sale with some variations I can't remember right now.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I am reading Song of Susannah (1/2 way through). Calvin Tower is my favorite character. Reminds me of some the booksellers i have encountered. Books too precious to sell, priced to high so they dont sell, etc... Now that i think about it, reminds me of several booksellers in Bridgeton, Sarasota and Bangor! One Bookstore lady in particular thought i was extremely rude to wait outside of a bookstore to ask King for a signature (for one book), when she had him trapped inside signing all of her stock (which she pointed out to me) and said several will be going into her personal collection. Irony much??? We have since became best friends.

Book Collectors and Book Sellers are a strange breed.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I am reading Song of Susannah (1/2 way through). Calvin Tower is my favorite character. Reminds me of some the booksellers i have encountered. Books too precious to sell, priced to high so they dont sell, etc... Now that i think about it, reminds me of several booksellers in Bridgeton, Sarasota and Bangor! One Bookstore lady in particular thought i was extremely rude to wait outside of a bookstore to ask King for a signature (for one book), when she had him trapped inside signing all of her stock (which she pointed out to me) and said several will be going into her personal collection. Irony much??? We have since became best friends.

Book Collectors and Book Sellers are a strange breed.
    Man your very lucky... I cannot imagine bumping into King for a sig!! You have like a 100 times!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I think it's more simple: contact retailers, distributors and owners of bookstores from decades ago that you might have contact with, ask for old boxes with stuff not sold or distributed and offer a good deal. Almost ten years ago I visited Grant Books and I saw A LOT of things that weren't for sale. It's not hard to picture that in one box there are The Gunslinger DJs, or slipcases, or whatever. Then you add some sparks around the item and it's done.

By the way, the buyer of the Thinner copies wasn't a collector but Pete from PS Publishing. And these were announced for sale with some variations I can't remember right now.
    I think that the price was an extra 300$ or so from Gerald's price, but PS is providing a slipcase.

Here they are : £325 ($420)
    > http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/thinne...man-4265-p.asp
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I think that the price was an extra 300$ or so from Gerald's price, but PS is providing a slipcase.
    Bet he still has over 20 left. They don't even have the band which collectors want with this book.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Bet he still has over 20 left. They don't even have the band which collectors want with this book.
    Just did a check by filling my cart on the PS website. Insofar that process is accurate, 9 are left...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Complete Speculation Ahead

Could he be getting boxes of unopened books from King himself? It my memory serves me right (I'm sure Br!an or Stroppy will have the post ready if it exists) Gerald was at the NLR party where King distributed the books. That being said it would make either him or someone he knows as close friend or relative of King to be invited to such event. He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.
    Gerald was not much of a King collector at that point. And the person who invited him is no longer with us i'm sorry to say.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Lol 325 pounds for a slipcase and a note saying what letter this nonspecial first edition is. What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.[/QUOTE]

Good job in summarizing my thoughts exactly! and much more succinctly.[/QUOTE]
    I have not been to his store, but I have not seen any of these for sale. I messaged him the first day he posted about the cover's and slipcase's. I own #367 The Gunslinger without the original slipcase, I do own a original unfolded cover though.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just an observation, but I thought it worth pointing out just for Info purposes only. First, it is my understanding that, Gerald no longer supports this thread, not posts in it. It is perpetuated by the members, FWIW. Second, whatever your personal thoughts or feelings (which you are entitled to) the man has a wife and child to support and, at least to my knowledge, has done nothing overtly or covertly wrong to any here or his customer base for that matter.

I'm just saying, buy/don't buy, but lets not cast any unfound rumors or speculation that may have an adverse effect upon his ability to support his family. Just a thought, not a rant.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said Bill.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Just an observation, but I thought it worth pointing out just for Info purposes only. First, it is my understanding that, Gerald no longer supports this thread, not posts in it. It is perpetuated by the members, FWIW. Second, whatever your personal thoughts or feelings (which you are entitled to) the man has a wife and child to support and, at least to my knowledge, has done nothing overtly or covertly wrong to any here or his customer base for that matter.

I'm just saying, buy/don't buy, but lets not cast any unfound rumors or speculation that may have an adverse effect upon his ability to support his family. Just a thought, not a rant.
    I think you were missing my point. I would LOVE for him to support this thread, and this website. I would like to better understand his business practice, model and his marketing methods. I just don't understand them. and it is not my business to understand them. When he post these wonderful STORIES and his wonderful finds, I would like to be able to support his business and buy these marvelous things HENSE my POST. I would love an unopened, untouched copy of IT.

Thus my post and begging for a chance to buy a copy (at a price I could afford). As collectors, we want him to succeed, this is our Hobby, but his business. We enjoy hearing his stories, his finds and his insights. Why post these great items and not sell? More of a curiosity question, definitely not an attack.

I have not seen anyone post on this site about shady business practices, claiming to own items he does not or try to sell items he does not have authority to sell. My guess is that would be documented in sellers/buyers to avoid if he did.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you were missing my point. I would LOVE for him to support this thread, and this website. I would like to better understand his business practice, model and his marketing methods. I just don't understand them. and it is not my business to understand them. When he post these wonderful STORIES and his wonderful finds, I would like to be able to support his business and buy these marvelous things HENSE my POST. I would love an unopened, untouched copy of IT.

Thus my post and begging for a chance to buy a copy (at a price I could afford). As collectors, we want him to succeed, this is our Hobby, but his business. We enjoy hearing his stories, his finds and his insights. Why post these great items and not sell? More of a curiosity question, definitely not an attack.

I have not seen anyone post on this site about shady business practices, claiming to own items he does not or try to sell items he does not have authority to sell. My guess is that would be documented in sellers/buyers to avoid if he did.

Exactly. His business is hid business and he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone other than those that are currently buying if them.. The notion that we should somehow be involved in his business dealings is wrong.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Asleep

Exactly. His business is hid business and he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone other than those that are currently buying if them.. The notion that we should somehow be involved in his business dealings is wrong.
    I never get on facebook, my wife showed me how to do it just now. Forget all my posts above. He stated on Facebook that the IT books will not be for sale.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't either. I only generally go on FB to see pictures of my, Grandsons!!! lol lol I have had some dealings with, Gerald and he is quirky, but he seems to have his heart in the right place. He is entitled to run his business as he see's fit, regardless of our opinions or advice which he can either heed or not. His choice. I, for my part, get along with him. Others mat not. No judgement, but no need to speculate on issues that may prove to be detrimental to his ability to support his family, no?

As I understand it, as far as he is concerned if this thread were to be deleted it would not be a bad thing.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived. If he has something of note, it can be mentioned in the Intriguing Auctions thread.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

If you are going to display items that are not for sale, then surely this belongs in the "My Stephen King Collection".

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived.
    Perhaps this is a stupid question, but does this thread exist for him or for us (TDT readers etc.)?
    You can't be aloof until you advertise.

My Mood
    Asleep

I thought this thread was for everyone! A great place for gerald to promote his store and for us to comment on our experience in dealing with and visiting the only king specific store. I like to hear his STORIES and see how others are getting great finds from his store. I like this thread.

My Mood
    Asleep

I have no doubt that King be visiting his store and do asigning if you watch his Facebook and his website he knows how to promote the store and draw attention to his desire for a signing in Bangor bye king I just don't understand his lack of Interest on this site I hope to attend a book signing in Bangor at his store

Country
    Country Flag

I thought this thread was for everyone! A great place for gerald to promote his store and for us to comment on our experience in dealing with and visiting the only king specific store. I like to hear his STORIES and see how others are getting great finds from his store. I like this thread.
    Why would you archive this thread? Might as well do CD's, Bett's... all of them then. Sorry but that doesn't make sense....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

As the thread was not started by Gerald (by Bev Vincent actually) I dont see any reason to archive it. It serves as a place to discuss new items that Gerald may or may not have for sale and assists those members who dont have, (or choose not to have) a Facebook or Twitter account.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Perhaps since Gerald doesn't want to promote his site through this thread, then the thread should be archived. If he has something of note, it can be mentioned in the Intriguing Auctions thread.
    I don't see any reason why. WE can all talk about him, his shop, anything he sells etc.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast