Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 344 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 8586

Thread: King Books/Items Wanted

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't even ask for description or photos when I buy from Betts. If he says fine, fine it is.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I don't even ask for description or photos when I buy from Betts. If he says fine, fine it is.
    Precisely!!!

Spoiler:
    And, David is an awesome guy personally to boot!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

When he states "fine," what is his meaning? I noticed on listing,s wherever they may be, people will list books as very fine or as new. To me personally, very fine and as new is the same thing. So for Betts, what is his meaning of fine? Thank you.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    When he states "fine," what is his meaning? I noticed on listing,s wherever they may be, people will list books as very fine or as new. To me personally, very fine and as new is the same thing. So for Betts, what is his meaning of fine? Thank you.
    Well, condition is always subjective, but David is a real stickler and savvy evaluator. There are few that rival him on current market value and condition. Whatever price and condition he states you can generally take that to the bank. He's probably one of the most trusted sellers in the King market. If, something does manage to go sideways he'll find a way to make it right. You got a sure thing with, Betts!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

until now i always go a book in a better condition then i expected from the description.
    one he even denied to sell to me , as he was sure it would not fit my expectations

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Well, condition is always subjective, but David is a real stickler and savvy evaluator. There are few that rival him on current market value and condition. Whatever price and condition he states you can generally take that to the bank. He's probably one of the most trusted sellers in the King market. If, something does manage to go sideways he'll find a way to make it right. You got a sure thing with, Betts!!
    Thanks, I figured in his listings, if it was fine, then that was as good as it gets unless specified. I was curious as to what people thought on here.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Precisely!!!

Spoiler:
    And, David is an awesome guy personally to boot!!!
    YA, plus he is father Callahan too, so he can not lie
    LOL,
    David is a straight shooter and just a really likable guy

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've done business many times with Bett's and echo what everyone else has said. You're in good hands with Dave.
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I know you all want to have David's babies, but I have many examples where he describes a book as Fine, and then describes lots of faults with it.

ANY fault and its not Fine to me. Condition is very subjective.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I know you all want to have David's babies, but I have many examples where he describes a book as Fine, and then describes lots of faults with it.

ANY fault and its not Fine to me. Condition is very subjective.
    Is that the definition of "fine?" That's the def. of "mint" isn't it?

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought fine and mint describe the same condition.

sk

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here are general guidelines:

AS NEW; FINE; MINT: Without faults or defects.
    NEAR FINE: a book approaching FINE (or AS NEW or MINT) but with a couple of very minor defects or faults, which must be noted. [NOTE: From here on, there may be "+ (Plus)" or "- (Minus)" in a grade, which will mean that it is above the grade noted but not quite to the next higher grade for "+", and that it is below the grade noted but not quite to the next lower grade for "-", i.e., Very Good + (or Plus)/Very Good - (or Minus). Which means the book is better than Very Good and the dust jacket grade is less than Very Good.]
    VERY GOOD: A book showing some signs of wear. Any defects or faults must be noted.
    GOOD: The average used book that is totally complete (as issued) and intact. Any defects must be noted.
    FAIR: A worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title page, etc. Any defects or faults must be noted.
    POOR or READING COPY: A book that is sufficiently worn that its only merit is the complete text, which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates must be noted. May be soiled, scuffed, stained, or spotted, and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

NEAR FINE: a book approaching FINE (or AS NEW or MINT) but with a couple of very minor defects or faults, which must be noted. [NOTE: From here on, there may be "+ (Plus)" or "- (Minus)" in a grade, which will mean that it is above the grade noted but not quite to the next higher grade for "+", and that it is below the grade noted but not quite to the next lower grade for "-", i.e., Very Good + (or Plus)/Very Good - (or Minus). Which means the book is better than Very Good and the dust jacket grade is less than Very Good.]
    VERY GOOD: A book showing some signs of wear. Any defects or faults must be noted.
    GOOD: The average used book that is totally complete (as issued) and intact. Any defects must be noted.
    FAIR: A worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title page, etc. Any defects or faults must be noted.
    POOR or READING COPY: A book that is sufficiently worn that its only merit is the complete text, which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates must be noted. May be soiled, scuffed, stained, or spotted, and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.
    Where did those guidelines come from?

I would use:

Mint
    Near Mint
    Very Fine
    Fine
    And so on...

I don't see how Mint=Fine. They don't mean the same thing...and I was collecting comics in 1982...haha

Frankly, to me, NOTHING is mint, or even near mint. It can't be - it was on a shelf, therefore NOT mint. It's impossible.

"Fine" is a book that looked like it was carefully put on a shelf and left alone except for normal aging and read once. Anything else and I feel like there are unrealistic expectations about collecting a product that was meant to be lightly handled and not stored in a safe. The rare time that you do find a book from a sealed carton, then that truly is "mint.'

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I list everything as Double Plus Good...

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

Those oldthinkers unnewspeak.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

Hahaha

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Where did those guidelines come from?

I would use:

Mint
    Near Mint
    Very Fine
    Fine
    And so on...

I don't see how Mint=Fine. They don't mean the same thing...and I was collecting comics in 1982...haha

Frankly, to me, NOTHING is mint, or even near mint. It can't be - it was on a shelf, therefore NOT mint. It's impossible.

"Fine" is a book that looked like it was carefully put on a shelf and left alone except for normal aging and read once. Anything else and I feel like there are unrealistic expectations about collecting a product that was meant to be lightly handled and not stored in a safe. The rare time that you do find a book from a sealed carton, then that truly is "mint.'
    I pulled that list from here -- http://www.ioba.org/pages/resources/...n-definitions/

You can find similar lists on lots of websites

I pulled that list from here -- http://www.ioba.org/pages/resources/...n-definitions/

Funny, but certainly not reality (the list, not you). "Mint = Fine." Makes no sense to me. But I guess these organizations can use whatever hoodoo they want to make everything sound perfect.

Back in the '80s comic days there was Mint, Near Mint, Very Fine, Fine, Near Fine, Very Good, Good, Fair, poor." I'll keep using that one.

The words just don't mean the same thing - it's like "Gem Mint." What does it mean? Eh, whatever. I guess I'm the jerk.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Funny, but certainly not reality (the list, not you). "Mint = Fine." Makes no sense to me. But I guess these organizations can use whatever hoodoo they want to make everything sound perfect.

Back in the '80s comic days there was Mint, Near Mint, Very Fine, Fine, Near Fine, Very Good, Good, Fair, poor." I'll keep using that one.

The words just don't mean the same thing - it's like "Gem Mint." What does it mean? Eh, whatever. I guess I'm the jerk.
    Book grading and Comics Grading are two different animals. I surmise the growing prevalence of comic book grading in the cultural psyche in the past 20 years has caused the term MINT to migrate over to book descriptions.

"Near Mint" in comics is analogous to "fine" in books. It is pretty much the high grade as can be expected of a collectible item that has been used without going into the UBER HIGH GRADE zones where opinion and microscopic analysis skews in many different ways (think CGC 10.0, lol)

Sellers will put any catchword in the Ebay title (or boards listing) of an item to help to try and sell it but the best bet is to find the sellers who are TIGHT graders and are selling products that are CORRECTLY GRADED and backed up by their (sometimes years of ) expertise as well as their reputation as a seller and grader.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's why I prefer to under-grade a book and post numerous high resolution photos. Pics tell a 1,000 words, and reduce my having to type lengthy notes.

Yeah, ultimately grades don't matter anyway, if one is happy with the appearance and thinks it meets expectations....you're absolutely right that CGC comics grading and 'slabbing' has tried to make 'condition' an objective idea, when really it's very subjective and always has been.

I'm with RF - describe the appearance, flaws and highpoints as best you can, take pictures, and that's the REAL condition. Trying to sum it up with a word has always been a bit silly.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, my first purchase from Dave at Betts was for Rage and several other things. I thought for $300, I should ask for a pic. I did, and eventually (we all know he's busy), got one. There is always that option if you are worried about something being "fine" vs. "near fine!"

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

just wondering if anybody has a PS Pet Semetary for sale, preferred #20, but any other will do it.

Let me know!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Grading is definitely subjective. In fact it changes depending on whether I'm wearing my glasses or not.

As a seller I mention any flaws. Pictures are certainly one of the most helpful tools when buying or selling online.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux's Avatar

Echoing comments above, and what I learned from my mentors all those years ago: honest and complete descriptions, good pictures, and an "anything, any reason" return policy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 344 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast