Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep : The Shining 2

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing. I like revisiting old, familiar characters and seeing what they've been up to.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, for what its worth, I've seen posts that say he will ruin the original story if he does this sequel. I would have to disagree. You can read "Talisman" and never read "Black House" (I don't reccomend it but you could), You can read 'Insomnia" and never read DT, again the same) Its not as if he is really proposing a true sequel, which in my mind would mean picking up the story in some reasonable timeframe from the original. Know what I mean? I think he just intends to "Revisit" the chararcter and it will probably be, more or less, a stand alone effort evaluated on its own merits or not.

Conversely, You can't (or shouldn't) read DTI w/o reading DTII etc. That story is not finished. Same goes for LOTR, Read Fellowship and not the other two? But most other SK novels are complete stories unto themselves. This would just be another story in the ongoing life. Yes?

Just my 3 Beans on the subject.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Its not as if he is really proposing a true sequel, which in my mind would mean picking up the story in some reasonable timeframe from the original. Know what I mean? I think he just intends to "Revisit" the chararcter and it will probably be, more or less, a stand alone effort evaluated on its own merits or not.

exactly, it's just like Callahan or Ted in The Dark Tower, it would just be totaly new book with not even the same character as Danny is 40 years older so totaly new man. i hope for some tiny connection to Shining though.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I'm sure, given SK's style, that there will be a few references to the incident at the Overlook, if not a few less than alive characters who make a comeback

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ms Mod, at King's request, has set up a poll on the SKMB asking whether fans would want a new Mid-world book or Dr. Sleep:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15754

I voted for Dr. Sleep.

John

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm! Interesting description of the Dark Tower book! Looks like Dr. Sleep is winning at the moment.

I'd like both... but I think I'm leaning towards The Dark Tower. Seems King will be taking the poll into account, but I hope it's simply a selection of which to write first.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    let me see if i have this right...

some of you folks actually think this would be a good thing?

this is where we are now with stephen king, hoping he cobbles together some story about grown up versions of his characters?

Forget that: What I can't believe is that no one has expressed any shock over the idea that Stephen King wants to do a novel about mercy killing! I'm sure that this subject in his hands would prove quite interesting, but it would certainly be controversial. And before you folken start saying that that is not exactly the idea, let me emphasize that assisted suicide is at the least an obvious association. It's sure to come up. Is that a good thing?

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stephen mentioned this at the NY Times Center event and got a huge ovation. He then went on to say that he wondered what it would be like it Danny and Charlie hooked up and had kids.

As far as Danny and Charlie being worked into the Dark Tower storyline, I think it would be easily done.

Spoiler:
    Both would have easily qualified at superbly powerful breakers. Not that either would have been main characters, but I can't believe that the Crimson King was unable to capture either one of them from any level of the tower for use breaking the beams.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    As far as Danny and Charlie being worked into the Dark Tower storyline, I think it would be easily done.

Spoiler:
    Both would have easily qualified at superbly powerful breakers. Not that either would have been main characters, but I can't believe that the Crimson King was unable to capture either one of them from any level of the tower for use breaking the beams.
    Methinks the shop that the shop is in league with sombra/North central positronics/the Low Men
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Along the Path of the Beam mdarkpoet is on a distinguished road mdarkpoet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm sounds like a good idea but you know what I'd really like to see? A sequel on The Stand

Gunslinger Apprentice boehmke is on a distinguished road boehmke's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I think if the book were written it should involve the Little Doctors from Insomnia.

Along the Path of the Beam mdarkpoet is on a distinguished road mdarkpoet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ooooo boehmke that'd be actually really awesome, Clotho, Atropos, and Lachesis

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

sounds like the worst idea ever...but id still read it

I lurk, therefore I am.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Stephen mentioned this at the NY Times Center event and got a huge ovation. He then went on to say that he wondered what it would be like it Danny and Charlie hooked up and had kids.

Spoiler:
    Maybe he did. King not stating it in the story doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    I hope it doesn't feel like a sequel to the Shining. Using an old character to make a new story is ok for me and I'd really love to see his point about assisted suicide (or whatever you call it). This could be an interesting story, although I voted for the DT book.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

The Shining and Firestarter had nothing to do with the Dark Tower books. Just because Danny and Charlie has supernatural powers doesn't make them Breakers. JNot all of King's works has anything to with DT. Where does Cujo fit in? Where does Carrie fit in? And so on...

Traveler Jack Lee is on a distinguished road Jack Lee's Avatar

Cujo connects to It. Carrie connects to DT VII.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like to think The Green Mile connects to the Dark Tower books too.

Major spoilers for The Green Mile. Minor spoilers for The Dark Tower (V and VII) and Low Men in Yellow Coats too.

Spoiler:
    I remember Ted Brautigan stating in Low Men in Yellow Coats that two other people escaped from prison with him. He doesn't mention any other people in The Dark Tower which I initially saw as a contradiction, maybe forgetfulness on King's part. (It seems unlikely it would be Dinky and Sheemy as I got the impression they remained behind when he left, although we don't know that for certain.) But then it occurred to me that if other people had escaped with Ted, and they were still out there, would he tell Roland? They had just met after all, and besides, from Ted's point of view, they could fail and be captured by the minions of the king, and tortured for information or subjected to mind readers.

It's purely conjecture on my part though. I'm thinking particularly of John Coffey's sudden appearance out of nowhere and his powers. What if Sheemie couldn't get an exact inprint from Coffey's mind and he sent him to another world in the 1930s close by? I.e. not Coffey's world of origin but close enough. Or not, as it turned out for poor John Coffey. Maybe Danny or Charlie was the other person. Then again maybe not considering those Lost Pet posters Callahan encountered aimed at a lady. Although we don't know she was an escapee.

I'm not sure that was King's intention. It's probably just my fan fiction, but I like the idea.

Firestarter connects to Tommyknockers which connects to The Dead Zone. The Shining shares a character with It.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lee View Post
    Cujo connects to It. Carrie connects to DT VII.
    I dont remember how Carrie connects to DT7. Can you please remind me?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, everything connects to DT, doesn't it, since
    Spoiler:
    Stephen King the author is part of it?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, everything connects to DT, doesn't it, since
    Spoiler:
    Stephen King the author is part of it?
    In The Dead Zone, there's a mention of Carrie as a work of fiction.

It's all complicated, but my opinion is that everything, everyhere can be said to have something to do with TDT.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually like the sound of Doctor Sleep - I like it when Stephen write's a book that deals with more serious issue's (which is why I love Rose Madder and Duma Key) so it would be interesting to see his take on something like this

And I kinda agree with pathoftheturle - I like to think that everything in S.K's universe deals with the Dark Tower in some way or another - just the rampant geek in me!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear that you agree, sai. I wonder, tho, do you also think, as I do, that everything in both SK's universe and his multiverse can be said to deal with it in some way? (You see, I myself have a rampant nerd in me who comes up with weird questions like that one.)

Dinky makes reference to Carrie when complaining about how few people know what it feels like to be "Carrie at the prom".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast