Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep : The Shining 2

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Doctor Sleep : The Shining 2

Stephen King thinks about writing sequel to The Shining.
    It would be about 40 yeas old Danny Torrance who helps dying people using his shine...
    Working title could be Dr Sleep.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He mentioned in St. Paul that writing it has passed it's "use by" date, so I'm thinking we shouldn't hold our collective breath.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the first time I heard about this. An interesting idea even if it's never written.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, he mentioned this again on The Hour (link to video at Lilja's). I doubt he'll write this. I think it would be a bad idea (but I'd still read it).

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I tend to agree with King that the story has passed it's expiration date. It would be nice to revisit Danny, but better to visit him in passing during another tale, I think, much like we did when we learned of Thad Beaumont's fate in Bag of Bones.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For what it worth, I've often lamented the fact that Danny and Charlie didn't make cameo's (so to speak) in DT7. What a good idea that would have been, no? Great segway into a shining sequel too maybe, but alas it is not to be.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I tend to think that it will comes up to the light of the day, as he mentions this to every single video interview (as well as amateur cam from events)...

nocny : I didnt hear all those details that you give though... where did you read/ hear that?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

on Lilja's Library there is a report from Toronto meeting where King said all that.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nocny View Post
    on Lilja's Library there is a report from Toronto meeting where King said all that.
    The Danny/Charlie in DT stuff?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A bit more information from the Toronto event, where King again mentioned Dr. Sleep:

http://books.torontoist.com/2009/11/...o-the-shining/

I wonder if he couldn't turn this into a DT-related novel.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. I got the impression from other links that he thought the time for that novel was past. I'm glad he appears to have changed his mind.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

let me see if i have this right...

some of you folks actually think this would be a good thing?

this is where we are now with stephen king, hoping he cobbles together some story about grown up versions of his characters?

black house was one thing, but must he go back and do this with other characters?

he's that much at a loss for ideas?

at least he can't do it with the boy from cujo.

Country
    Country Flag

No, I personally don't think it's a very good idea, and I highly doubt this will ever get written. But if he should write it and publish it, I will gladly read it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    let me see if i have this right...

some of you folks actually think this would be a good thing?

this is where we are now with stephen king, hoping he cobbles together some story about grown up versions of his characters?

black house was one thing, but must he go back and do this with other characters?

he's that much at a loss for ideas?

at least he can't do it with the boy from cujo.
    sometimes they come back
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just remember what King did with Salem Lots' Father Callahan. Bringing a character back isn't always a bad thing.

John

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Just remember what King did with Salem Lots' Father Callahan. Bringing a character back isn't always a bad thing.

John
    i agree, though this hardly seems like anything even close to the same thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    i agree, though this hardly seems like anything even close to the same thing.
    But I do get the impression that the story will be very different. (Although obviously it's too early to tell yet.) So, same character* doesn't mean it's just going to be a rehash of the same story. Any more than Black House is a rehash of The Talisman. From the brief snippets we've read, it already appears as if Danny is using his power in a very different way.

It's a wonder the low men never picked him up...

*And actually it isn't really the same character as this guy is 40 years old!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Shining 2 - Doctor Sleep

Has King let the cat out of the bag early? Is this the next novel?

Last night at Toronto’s packed Canon Theatre, fans of Stephen King were treated to a 15-minute reading from the author’s new novel, Under the Dome, and nearly an hour’s worth of typically funny anecdotes and keen observations during an on-stage interview with director David Cronenberg. Then King dropped a fan bombshell on the crowd by casually describing a novel idea he began working on last summer. Seems King was wondering whatever happened to Danny Torrance of The Shining, who when readers last saw him was recovering from his ordeal at the Overlook Hotel at a resort in Maine with fellow survivors Wendy Torrance and chef Dick Halloran (who dies in the Kubrick film version). King remarked that though he ended his 1977 novel on a positive note, the Overlook was bound to have left young Danny with a lifetime’s worth of emotional scars. What Danny made of those traumatic experiences, and with the psychic powers that saved him from his father at the Overlook, is a question that King believes might make a damn fine sequel.

So what would a sequel to one of King’s most beloved novels look like? In King’s still tentative plan for the novel, Danny is now 40 years old and living in upstate New York, where he works as the equivalent of an orderly at a hospice for the terminally ill. Danny’s real job is to visit with patients who are just about to pass on to the other side, and to help them make that journey with the aid of his mysterious powers. Danny also has a sideline in betting on the horses, a trick he learned from his buddy Dick Hallorann.

The title for King’s proposed sequel? Doctor Sleep.

Perhaps sensing that he’d let the cat out of the plot bag a little early, King then told Cronenberg and the audience that he wasn’t completely committed to the new novel, going so far as to say, “Maybe if I keep talking about it I won’t have to write it.”

http://books.torontoist.com/2009/11/...o-the-shining/

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff! Thanks for posting that.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In Sarasota, he mentioned that the idea was "past it's use-by date" and the book probably wouldn't be written, but it makes me wonder since he keeps bringing it up. We shall see!

And btw, there are other threads about this somewhere . . .

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We probably should merge this thread into the earlier Shining thread in The Oracle.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, King did say the time has probably passed on this novel. And to me it sort of sounds like The Green Mile in a way. Not that that's bad; it's one of my favorites. But I doubt there's more to it than talk at this point.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The fact that he keeps talking about it is encouraging.
    Has there been any further mention of releasing the unpublished story he wrote in 1970?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast