Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you be open to an organized and nominal fee-based classifieds system on TDT.com

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would use it

28 77.78%
  • No I would not

8 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Potential New Classifieds System for TheDarkTower.com

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted yes, but I would probably only buy stuff. But it makes it easy to do that, so I would like it.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm mostly a buyer, but I think this would be a great idea and probably a lot easier than trolling through a thread.

Go for it. I voted yes, for what its worth

Edit: However, when and if I sold I would rather do it here as I feel it would be a more qualified sale going to a fellow collector.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted yes because of the exposer factor for serious buyes and seller's alike. We have an expansive (and exspensive) hobby and to be able to deal with "Educated" people would be refreshing. I do like the idea that some percentage would go to the Haven foundation.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The feedback has been amazing on this you guys, thank you for helping me.

This system will be going live on the site as of 1/1/10. All sales on TDT.com will pass through it.

I will make sure I work with anyone who is in the middle of a big sale and the site itself will do whatever it can to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    This system will be going live on the site as of 1/1/10.
    A date that means the same all over the world.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted a thread about this on the main board and answered some specific questions there. I will post the answer in this one too so the collectors will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt in other thread
    To answer a couple of questions I have had through PM:

Any non profit ventures do not have to go through the classifieds section. They can be posted on the board. I am also happy to create a "non-profit donations" section in the classifieds system so people will see it there as well. That would be free of course.

Off site sales--

Links to Ebay will remain in the postbit (that section with our avatar). I don't mind an easy access point like that to members Ebay listings. Although, if its King stuff, I bet it will go faster here.

Links to specific sales in signatures will be limited to things that are being sold by the member in the Classifieds system.

Businesses that conduct sales and/or auctions on a regular basis are welcome to by an update-able ad in the classifieds system that I will make sure is well advertised on the site.

Hope that answers some questions.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Well, I never saw this, so I guess it doesn't matter...but can't say I'm a fan, although I totally understand the benefit to the site.

The thing is, nobody really tries to sell on this site as a business...every once in awhile, somebody lists a bunch of items because they were divesting chunks of their collection...but it's not really an attempt to run a storefront.

So...these micropayments aren't much, but they take away the opportunity to just list a couple duplicate items on a whim or whatever...

I understand the projected, though little $$ amount would help the site...but I think there are better ways to do it. I liked seeing what people were buying and selling, and I liked being able to toss up an ad in the thread without any sort of real expectation it would sell. So....now if I'm paying to list something, obviously I would have real hope it would sell - and that's what ebay is for. I come here for entertainment, not business, so I can't forsee selling or buying on a dedicated, for-pay classifieds site.

But...sounds like you've got the plan already set up, so this is a little late in the game anyway...oh well...I liked the informal classifieds thread; sorry it will be gone.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate the opinion Rahfa, that is totally what this thread is for.

I really hope the transition doesn't actually destroy the openness of the trade in collectible items on the site but we did feel like the site provided a service that could use a small amount of compensation.

I personally think a seller has a much better chance to move (or buy) a quality King item here than they do at Ebay, and it is vastly more expensive of course.

The informal classifieds thread will stay, it will just point to ads in the Classifieds section. My plan is that the entire site checks it and not just collectors so it may expand the availability of buyers beyond this forum.

Not to mention organization beyond belief.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This entire project is on hold until the fund raiser is over this year. I will revisit it then.

The reason is because vbClassifieds is not stable and since we have the new version in the mix, it is just too much. Our photopost product (The Gallery) has a classifieds addon that looks good so I may look into that.

I appreciate all the opinions and support.

Please, please, please...if you are selling something on the site during the fundraiser, consider giving a bit of the proceeds for a worthy cause.

Auctions for our fundraiser will be conducted in DTbay because it is actually working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2