Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 192 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, well done!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Very generous friend! Remember to keep some of the money for yourself though, eh?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

State of the King Collecting Market: update by The Caretaker

As Caretaker of what I believe is the largest site for Stephehen King collectibles, I thought I would share with you some "inside" observations I have made about the "health" of the Stephen King collectibles market.

Following an absolutely DISMAL summer...since I have owned Betts Books, demand/sales were the slowest they have ever been in June-August 2011, collector interest and demand began to strengthen in September and gained momentum into the Xmas holiday season. Not only sales, but inquiries about SK books steadily rose. The release of 11/22/63 was a phenomenal success....I think because 1) the story was engaging and well written and 2) the subject matter is one that appeals to a huge percentage of the population. I believe I sold more than 30 signed first trade editions...the most BY FAR of any new release since I took the helm at Betts. However, post Christmas, I have been ASTOUNDED at the demand/interest/sales/new consignments. There is usually a drop off after Christmas as people begin to pay off their credit card debt built up over the holiday season...not usually a strong period for discretionary spending. Whether it is because the new and eagerly anticipated Dark Tower story "Wind Through thye Keyhole" is now being shipped by Grant Books, or if the economy is REALLY getting better, my sales at Betts in the first two months of the year are up about 250% of what I booked in 2010 and 2011. It is by far the strongest two month period of any time I have owned Betts and going back to Stu's records the strongest sales since he consigned Chris Cavalier's collection many years ago.

Is the economy really getting better? That is hard to say...I know so so many people that are still unemployed, underemployed (like myself) or simply just struggling day by day to keep a roof over their head, clothes on their family and decent food for their kids. I have been "swamped" with offers to buy books/collections/consignments in the last several months...and MORE IMPORTANTLY...pricing is starting to HEAD BACK UP after steadily falling for the last 6-7 years. While I am keeping my prices as sharp as I can, demand is lending itself to a modest rise in pricing and there has been no slack in the demand....so, those of you who care about the "investment value" of their collections as opposed to just enjoying the collections for what they are...this should be most welcome news.

I thought that these "facts" might be of interest to all of you so thought I'd share with everyone.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, David. A very interesting analysis.

John

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good to know David!

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Yep thanks for letting us know. You share quite a lot of information about your business, that's pretty cool. Obviously it's also in your best interest, like now, but still that's nice of you : )

Along the Path of the Beam elscorcho526 is on a distinguished road elscorcho526's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    State of the King Collecting Market: update by The Caretaker

As Caretaker of what I believe is the largest site for Stephehen King collectibles, I thought I would share with you some "inside" observations I have made about the "health" of the Stephen King collectibles market.

Following an absolutely DISMAL summer...since I have owned Betts Books, demand/sales were the slowest they have ever been in June-August 2011, collector interest and demand began to strengthen in September and gained momentum into the Xmas holiday season. Not only sales, but inquiries about SK books steadily rose. The release of 11/22/63 was a phenomenal success....I think because 1) the story was engaging and well written and 2) the subject matter is one that appeals to a huge percentage of the population. I believe I sold more than 30 signed first trade editions...the most BY FAR of any new release since I took the helm at Betts. However, post Christmas, I have been ASTOUNDED at the demand/interest/sales/new consignments. There is usually a drop off after Christmas as people begin to pay off their credit card debt built up over the holiday season...not usually a strong period for discretionary spending. Whether it is because the new and eagerly anticipated Dark Tower story "Wind Through thye Keyhole" is now being shipped by Grant Books, or if the economy is REALLY getting better, my sales at Betts in the first two months of the year are up about 250% of what I booked in 2010 and 2011. It is by far the strongest two month period of any time I have owned Betts and going back to Stu's records the strongest sales since he consigned Chris Cavalier's collection many years ago.

Is the economy really getting better? That is hard to say...I know so so many people that are still unemployed, underemployed (like myself) or simply just struggling day by day to keep a roof over their head, clothes on their family and decent food for their kids. I have been "swamped" with offers to buy books/collections/consignments in the last several months...and MORE IMPORTANTLY...pricing is starting to HEAD BACK UP after steadily falling for the last 6-7 years. While I am keeping my prices as sharp as I can, demand is lending itself to a modest rise in pricing and there has been no slack in the demand....so, those of you who care about the "investment value" of their collections as opposed to just enjoying the collections for what they are...this should be most welcome news.

I thought that these "facts" might be of interest to all of you so thought I'd share with everyone.
    Fascinating, David. I was one of your post-Christmas (first-time) customers. Couldn't be more pleased with the product/customer service ...looking forward to future consignment postings!

-Frank

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It has been a couple of months since I bought anything at Betts. I'm laying low, waiting for a Doubleday proof (preferably 'Salem's Lot or The Stand) to show up at Betts. I'll then sell my girlfriend's car and snatch the proof from the Claws of Evil Olverts.

Great job, David!

Citizen of Gilead olverts will become famous soon enough olverts will become famous soon enough olverts's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great to know David !

When i have money i have to be your worst nightmare Michaël

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    It has been a couple of months since I bought anything at Betts. I'm laying low, waiting for a Doubleday proof (preferably 'Salem's Lot or The Stand) to show up at Betts. I'll then sell my girlfriend's car and snatch the proof from the Claws of Evil Olverts.

Great job, David!
    Michael-

If I get one of those proofs...your going to have to sell the GIRLFRIEND, not the car dude.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, you always seem to have money when I don't, Hannes... but that's okay, if you continue collecting the way you do now you'll have everything you want before the end of 2012 and then I can start hunting again.

Country
    Country Flag

David, that's probably true...

Just curious, but has anyone ever offered a Doubleday proof for sale to Betts (rather than consigning it)? I remember the Night Shift proof on eBay a year or two ago, that one went for $4000 I think. Good stuff!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yep thanks for letting us know. You share quite a lot of information about your business, that's pretty cool. Obviously it's also in your best interest, like now, but still that's nice of you : )
    Thank you. As I've said before, Betts does not make a lot of money, and that's ok with me. The real reason I do it is because of the pure joy I get from helping collectors satisfy their "itches." As a hard-core collector myself, I TOTALLY understand that euphoria of finding something you really want. I get the same "high" in helping other people. Running Betts is its own reward!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Always enjoy reading about the Belts behind the scenes stuff. My opinion is that the recent raise in money and interest is due to the excellent selection of new consignment items/collections being offered.

I love Betts Books.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Not to be negative, but it is still hard to navigate the Betts web page. I know that work is in progress and that it is but a parttime effort, but I truly belive that a redesigned site will do nothing but generate sales. Right now I find it hard to peruse, know what is new and what is old and what is simply repeated elsewhere on the thread already! JMHO of course.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I hate it when something halfway down the page gets discounted and i don't realize it until a few weeks later.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am probably in the minority here but I do enjoy, at times, the "quest" of finding a treasure buried within! Last week, I found a 1st/1st Stand that I picked up right away for an incredible price! Missed it every other time!

I dunno. While I agree that a more formal architecture for the site would be easier to shop, the current format makes it "fun" for me.....

As for the duplication and older items WAY down, I never get that far so if it was deleted, wouldn't notice...

Again, probably the minority.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Is a redesigned site being worked on?

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Thank you. As I've said before, Betts does not make a lot of money, and that's ok with me. The real reason I do it is because of the pure joy I get from helping collectors satisfy their "itches." As a hard-core collector myself, I TOTALLY understand that euphoria of finding something you really want. I get the same "high" in helping other people. Running Betts is its own reward!
    This is so true. David being a collector himself really shows when you deal with him. I actually have a 'Salem's Lot S/L on layaway (made my first payment 2 days a go ) and worked out the whole deal with David in a matter of minutes. I have been after a copy of this book practically since the minute it sold out and I am very excited about the fact I shall have one in a few months! Wiz understands how much these things mean to us and it shows when you deal with him. and I for one think Betts may well be the best bookstore in the whole universe!

Thanks David!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I think i missed that STand Book how much did you get it for? I always do a Ctrl F and type the books that i am looking for! I just had my 1st edition signed and now i cant upgrade!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael-

Answer is no...No one has ever offered to sell Doubleday proofs (not on consignment) to me in last 2+ years.

Website....sigh...I am well aware that navigation is "difficult" at best. I certainly take no offense from people who point out its shortcomings (of which there are several!). My friend Ari has been working on a redesign for some time now (on his own time and initiative). I recognize he has his own life and I have never pushed him on this, but I have no idea how far along he is.

I got a couple estimates a year ago from "outsourced" places to redesign my site, add search function and on-line checkout/payment and the sum was several thousand dollars...not an amount I can afford to spend. But perhaps I need to "invest" a significant portion of annual profits at Betts to redesign the site. I am certainly not tech savvy enough to try it on my own. I will contact Ari and see where he stands on his work here.

Being tech "illiterate (maybe too strong a word)" I fret about a new website because right now, I control everything, uploading new inventory, pictures etc. I have a pretty good handle on how to manipulate the site. I DO NOT want to pay a webmaster or someone to maintain my site and keep it looking pretty. I want to be able to upload inventory, pictures, stories, text exactly when I want. Maybe I would have that same control in an updated version...I just do not know so it scares me a bit.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If Ari needs some help, i'll be more than happy to contribute. I can work on websites, but not on designs. However, nowadays there are lot of existing templates for wordpress and other CMS.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for the lack of update. Website is ready, but database with the content isn't. I'm still working manually to adapt the table as it looks now in the website in excel, so I can migrate it to DB. Since it can't be converted automaticaly, it takes a lot of time.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, fellow member "IowaBob" set up a book store rather handily utilizing a template web page store program. From what I understand, he's no Hi-Tech fellow either. Might be worth a PM?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No need. The website is ready. The DB will be very soon. In two weeks I'll have finished the project that is killing me and I'll be able to convert the rest of it.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 192 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast