Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Endorsed by Stephen King

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Natchez Burning by Greg Iles is: “Extraordinarily entertaining and fiendishly suspenseful. I defy you to start it and find a way to put it down.”
    The blurb, yes. The whole text seem to be on the publishers website :

'Natchez Burning is extraordinarily entertaining and fiendishly suspenseful. I defy you to start it and find a way to put it down; as long as it is, I wished it were longer. There's a bonus: you'll finish knowing a great deal about the deep south's painful struggle toward racial equality, and the bloody road between Then and Now. Only a southern man could have written this book, and thank God Greg Iles was there to do the job. This is an amazing work of popular fiction.' STEPHEN KING

>>> http://www.harpercollins.com.au/book...=9780007304851
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He wrote one of the four stories in Hard Listening, too. As I recall, it was one of the two longer tales.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    http://books.simonandschuster.com/Li...A&rrid=3115819

The Lie
    A Novel By Hesh Kestin

"A page-turner that will engage your mind and emotions in a way few novels do. The narrative is headlong, the issues have never been more current, and the characters come alive from the page. This is a story about the lies we tell until the truth is forced upon us, and about divided countries, including those of the human heart. I started reading; I ended up experiencing. The Lie is what great fiction is all about."
    – Stephen King
    I just got this from the library. The NYT review made me curious about it. I didn't know King endorsed it. We'll see how it is.
    I finished The Lie in two sittings. It's a fast-paced thriller about terrorism, torture, and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. There's an unnecessary twist at the end, but other than that I thought it was a good read.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

He wrote one of the four stories in Hard Listening, too. As I recall, it was one of the two longer tales.
    It was THE ROCK AND ROLL DEAD ZONE
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

No -- that was King's.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I got it wrong. I thought you mean which one was written by King.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Here is something that I posted in the random thoughts thread the other day :

Early in 2009, I started thinking and working on a project related to Stephen King, whose original (working) title was "Recommended by Stephen King" and deal with King's recommendations for books, movies and music.
    Despite the fact that I started it, i also did let it go for awhile which allowed me to think more about it and consider how to develop it further.
    Later on, I went back to it, and a lot more seriously. Browsed hundreds of essays and texts by King in order to make it more "comprehensive". I also started contacting publishers as well as agents (as in the english speaking world agents seems extremely important for contacting "major" publishers who are more likely to be able to deal with the copyright issues).

After trying to make it work for several years (with breaks in the meantime), I am just giving up. Especially since at the end of last year, when meeting King in France I mentionned it to his agent who asked me to contact him by email. We exchanged couple of quick emails but I didn't even get a reply to my second (and more detailed) email which as presenting further the project and idea behind it (which is not solely a project about Stephen King, but more like a discovery guide, based on Stephen King's recommendations).
    So here is a picture of one of the ~250 pages manuscript copies that I have sent to some agents and publishers (therefore have been destroyed for most of those) and of some of my copies left.

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that this project will see the light of the day. I wont either be posting it online for obvious copyright reasons cf King's excerpts.
    It's a shame, because I am sure that most collectors would have been interested by it since in the making of it I found quite a few unknown texts / little known texts written by King : from blurbs to couple of lines to sometimes even some paragraphs and longer texts.

A few weeks ago, I submitted my project to a publisher (to which I sent it a few years back) that has published what I consider is a sort of similar book.
    And a sort of similar collection seem kind of successful as I have seen translations in France and other countries etc.
    They quickly sent me an email, saying : "It looks like a great idea and we very much enjoyed looking through it in the office, but I would like to ask if you have cleared the copyright permissions with the author or the publications which the reviews come from?"

I replied, and I am now waiting for a reply from their editor.
    >>> I know that this isnt an "easy project", but as this is my very attempt to get this project out there, let's hope that it will be positive reply...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

King endorsed "Niceville" and "The Homecoming" by Carsten Stroud on Twitter.

"NICEVILLE and THE HOMECOMING, by Carsten Stroud: crazy-good supernatural/crime/horror epic. Blew me away."
    https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...81038979600384

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,201,404 in Books

This corresponds to a very small number of books sold in the last few days. Let's see how the rank changes after the tweet.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #157,075 in Books

Skyrocketing up the charts.

That change could be the result of just a few sales.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you jinxed it because now it's back down to #189,273.

(I was being semi-facetious with my skyrocketing comment.)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I like Garton so I will probably give this one a try. But I have really not enjoyed a number of books that King has given high praise to in the past. It is probably because I am not smart enough to "get it" but whatever the reason I don't rush to get books based on his recommendation anymore.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoy Garton's books too.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't really follow King's blurbs on books - they seem like just another cheap marketing tool. What I have enjoyed quite a bit, however, are the year's best books, music, tv, movies he does (and used to do) for Entertainment Weekly. I have enjoyed most of the books the recommends, many of which are out of the horror mainstream. One of my favorites was a book King raved about was A. M. Homes, This Book Will Save Your Life, and while it didn't truly save me, it really caused much reflection - a funny, tender, and human tale.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I like Garton so I will probably give this one a try. But I have really not enjoyed a number of books that King has given high praise to in the past. It is probably because I am not smart enough to "get it" but whatever the reason I don't rush to get books based on his recommendation anymore.
    This is generally true for me too. King's recommendations don't rate too highly with me.

John

Here's one I'll second whole-heartedly: A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, by Paul Tremblay: Scared the living hell out of me, and I'm pretty hard to scare.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Here's one I'll second whole-heartedly: A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, by Paul Tremblay: Scared the living hell out of me, and I'm pretty hard to scare.
    This book is on my Top 10 this year....READ IT, folks!
    ~Jonathan

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    Well, based on all these glowing reviews I think I will have to read this one. Will add it to my list, but I'm also a little apprehensive because, well, it may sound strange but the older I get, the less I want to be 'scared' by books or movies...

By the way, this may have been posted before, but it's the biggest list of King recommended books I've ever seen.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I will also have to find me a copy. It does sound intriguing. I read Ilium, The Martian, Jaws and Ready Player One in the past two months or so - all very good reads but none of them scary. Time to change gears!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I bought it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ill stop back here and add when i can.
    for now ill start with
    1) im guessing, The girl next door by Jack Ketchum has been mentioned
    2) but i doubt , stalking the nightmare by Harlan Ellison has?

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Okay, I bought it.
    Just bought it too! Cause I don't have enough books already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast