Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Significant other's response to collecting?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post
    ......i know how NOT to piss her off !
    Pay attention Tom & Michael!! That is certainly the key to long marriage!!!

( but it doesn't hurt to have a separate checking account, either!!)
    I agree - the separate accounts are helpful - we have a joint account that I manage and transfer from each paycheck to pay the bills - thats my job - we keep a set amount in our individual checking - and what she does with that I do not ask - and that keeps things nice and easy (although I do know where everything is spent and how much - thats part of managing de monies)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully upon opening it you were smart enough to not point out that now you now won't have to buy reading copies of all the rare books you're going to buy. LOL

David, nice diversionary tactic. I imagine you have so many books coming and going she doesn't know which are yours and which are Betts.

Congratulations Bruce!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I just tell my husband I get all my books for free now that I'm a librarian...

Actually, he supports my collecting habit. And he should, since he collects waaay weirder things than I do.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This is an funny thread--a support group of sorts. My wife also give me "the eye." But she knows that months and months will go by without any packages coming in, so I think that helps keep her sanity. She did catch me quickly hiding a box in our office from Cemetary Dance. We had company over that day and when I answered the door to let our guests in I saw a box there...so I quickly tried to hide it. She commenced to say, "you have a disease!" and I replied, "well, it's either some books here and there or I start spending all my free time hanging around elemantary schools with pockets full of candy!!!!!"

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

she knows I try to get home first to quickly bring in any packages and put them in my office. I thought I was clever and getting away with it, but she brought it up recently with some friends
    fortunately she just joked about it.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

My wife has been very supportive..... thank goodness.
    She loves to travel and has joined me on many trips to Signing events, etc and considers it a benefit of collecting. ("We have to go to this"... "Yeah sounds good")
    She watched and wondered a bit when I would stalk outside the NBC studio door or backdoor to some event, however eventually became adept at placing her self
    strategically where she would have an opportunity if I missed one or we both could get something signed.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

or we both could get something signed.

John F. Kennedy greenhorn1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

At least books don't take up a lot of space! I've been collecting art for about 7 years now and have over 150 prints and originals hanging throughout the house (and about another hundred in a flat file that I don't have room or money to hang). And I'm into pinball and some guys in my pinball league have nearly 50 games set up in their houses. I think the common thread regardless of what you collect is 1. be responsible with your spending. That doesn't mean don't spend insane amounts on things, but make sure you pay the bills first! and 2. make sure your obsession doesn't overrule time/attention you spend on your significant other. I think the only time my gf really gets annoyed with my collecting is when I tell her I can't do something because I have to be near a computer for a release or when I leave mailing tubes scattered all throughout the house.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I just tell my husband I get all my books for free now that I'm a librarian...

Actually, he supports my collecting habit. And he should, since he collects waaay weirder things than I do.
    Lol. What does he collect?

[QUOTE=greenhorn1;752283]At least books don't take up a lot of space!
    BULLSHIT

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    WHAT CAN I SAY THE WIFE BOUGHT ME THIS FOR MY COLLECTION.
    Spoiler:

You DEFINITELY married the right woman.
    49 YEARS NEXT MONTH
    33 Yrs here in May. When you get a good woman ya gotta hold on, right Bruce???

Edit: My wife still occasionally "Rolls her eyes", but since my collection is more or less "complete" and I', just into "upgrades" less and less. She does fully support my HF actions though to her credit. She's constantly asking "What are we up to, hon"? LOL FWIW she thinks you guys need to pound the "Widget"!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Spoiler:

49 YEARS NEXT MONTH

Edit: My wife still occasionally "Rolls her eyes", but since my collection is more or less "complete" and I', just into "upgrades" less and less. She does fully support my HF actions though to her credit. She's constantly asking "What are we up to, hon"? LOL FWIW she thinks you guys need to pound the "Widget"!!! LOL
    Pound the Widget huh..... Lol

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Alan... he collects movie props and promotional items, McFarlane figures, and interesting odds-n-ends like Ghostbuster cartoon cells. lol It's really neat stuff, but things that accumulate over time and seem to usually cost quite a bit more than my books (since I don't go for S/L or flatsigned etc.) Since he spends his money and I spend my money when it comes to collections, neither of us complains.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Spoiler:

49 YEARS NEXT MONTH

Pound the Widget huh..... Lol
    Well, to be honest she never said "Pound", but honest she is into the whole "do for others" thing and does ask for daily totals!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Alan... he collects movie props and promotional items, McFarlane figures, and interesting odds-n-ends like Ghostbuster cartoon cells. lol It's really neat stuff, but things that accumulate over time and seem to usually cost quite a bit more than my books (since I don't go for S/L or flatsigned etc.) Since he spends his money and I spend my money when it comes to collections, neither of us complains.
    Sounds like a good system to me

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I just told my significant other i possibly have matching s/l shining and dr. Sleep and she didn't understand my excitement.... Lol oh well you guys do.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Book collecting is pretty irrational behaviour if you really think about it. Basically, I fully understand why 99.99% of the planet doesn't understand me. I talk about it with my co-workers and friends and other than "it looks cool", or "it makes me happy", or "because I can and want to" I have no logical explanation for it.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

"it makes me happy", is all that matters.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'd say there's no more logical explanation than happiness. 'Tis the best rationale for anything you do.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Book collecting helps us feel closer to the author and gives a more personal connection to the stories. I think that is a big part of why a lot of people collect.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just collect books to meet cool chicks...

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I just collect books to meet cool chicks...
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Inspired

Same here, Jerome. Although perhaps not with the same intentions.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, Jerome. Although perhaps not with the same intentions.
    But with the same results?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I just told my significant other i possibly have matching s/l shining and dr. Sleep and she didn't understand my excitement.... Lol oh well you guys do.
    While I certainly share your enthusiasm, stay in your own fucking bed, friend!!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast