Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Estate sales are so depressing...you can see all the effort of a lifetime spent to accumulate possessions and collections, and at the end it's just tossed to the four winds...

Makes me more set than ever to have tried my best to sell everything by the time I shuffle off this mortal coil...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Estate sales are so depressing...you can see all the effort of a lifetime spent to accumulate possessions and collections, and at the end it's just tossed to the four winds...

Makes me more set than ever to have tried my best to sell everything by the time I shuffle off this mortal coil...
    A lessen for all of us?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I agree. I've only been to one which was for the widow of an artist whose work I have been collecting for 20+ years. They had no children and it was sad to see all of her possessions, including personal photos and letters, going to strangers. It was also a bit disheartening to see many of the items turn up on eBay within days of the auction.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My possesions/collection all go to my family. I'm certain barring some stuff they'll keep for sentimental reasons most will be sold. They know where to go with the King stuff when the time comes.

I've never been to an estate sale, but I don't see it as depressing. Death is just another part of life, imo.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    My possesions/collection all go to my family. I'm certain barring some stuff they'll keep for sentimental reasons most will be sold. They know where to go with the King stuff when the time comes.

I've never been to an estate sale, but I don't see it as depressing. Death is just another part of life, imo.
    True enough....in the end, the vultures pick at all our bones.

But, if your family knows where to go, it's not really going to be an estate sale....that's the depressing part, when it's people neither you or family have any idea about picking through all your carefully selected possessions.

Eh, we'll be chewing dirt, so who cares.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

True enough....in the end, the vultures pick at all our bones.

But, if your family knows where to go, it's not really going to be an estate sale....that's the depressing part, when it's people neither you or family have any idea about picking through all your carefully selected possessions.

Eh, we'll be chewing dirt, so who cares.
    People here will get to pick through many of my carefully selected possessions. I own no car, no house...mostly just lots of books and related items.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you on this one.

UNLESS I know for a fact any of my children (which I have yet to have any) turn out to be a King fan as well. But if they aren't, I think there will be fun to be had in selling stuff off in my last remaining years, to have the pleasure of seeing the items with new King fans. Then my family can just have the money.

But fingers crossed one of my children to be turns out to be just as much of a fan, and helps me collect in the years to come...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Museum of silly assumptions

- The Inland Revenue won’t audit me two years in a row
    - One more drink won’t hurt
    - My kids will not hate me and wish me dead
    - My family will not be wiped out in a single event

You *can* take your collection with you. Arrange for your collection to be burnt with you. It also gives your surviving family more ashes to share amongst themselves.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I plan to do just the opposite. I plan to try my best not to sell anything that has any value to me or high monetary value unless I absolutely have to. I want to leave something to my heir or heirs to be able to sell off that will be of greater value than the money that paid for it. 60 years from now the $350 that paid for CD's Full Dark, No Stars S/L will be worth far less than $350 is now, but the book itself may very well be worth more than the equivalent of that same $350. I want to enjoy my collection while I am able to, and sell items only to acquire other collectibles, not to pay bills.

I speak from experience that the collections of others can sometimes be full of nothing but junk, but if you are a wise collector, you can leave behind a small treasure trove for your heirs. Make sure you leave instructions on how to deal with the collectibles though. It can be (and IS) a very daunting task for a spouse to deal with any collection.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I plan to do just the opposite. I plan to try my best not to sell anything that has any value to me or high monetary value unless I absolutely have to. I want to leave something to my heir or heirs to be able to sell off that will be of greater value than the money that paid for it. 60 years from now the $350 that paid for CD's Full Dark, No Stars S/L will be worth far less than $350 is now, but the book itself may very well be worth more than the equivalent of that same $350. I want to enjoy my collection while I am able to, and sell items only to acquire other collectibles, not to pay bills.

I speak from experience that the collections of others can sometimes be full of nothing but junk, but if you are a wise collector, you can leave behind a small treasure trove for your heirs. Make sure you leave instructions on how to deal with the collectibles though. It can be (and IS) a very daunting task for a spouse to deal with any collection.

as an almost 52 year old old fart with No wife... No kids and little chance (or want) of acquiring either before I kick it.....
    I leaving my entire collection of limiited editions to my dogs.... they really enjoy leather chew toys.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

as an almost 52 year old old fart with No wife... No kids and little chance (or want) of acquiring either before I kick it.....
    I leaving my entire collection of limiited editions to my dogs
    I'm open to being a guardian for your dogs. Book collection and all 8)

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think some of the recent posts in this thread belong here.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Did someone call for the Thread Cop????? Listen hear "Joy-Boy"you may think posting off-topic is "cool" and "hip". but I got news for you wise-guy, Not in my America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Sorry, Mr. Bookman from "Sienfeld" popped into my head!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Love that episode

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    And.... done.

Thank you.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

while my dog's will get the limted leather editions for chew toys -
    my will is going to state that the first editions, mags and all other non-leather editions are to be piled into a giant funeral pyre, topped off by my body... and everyone here is invited to roast marshmellows and make smores, beer will be provided.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What kind of beer?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What kind of beer?
    Yeah, good point!!!! Domestic or imported?

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it's Guinness Extra Stout, I'm in!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Like my Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella collections, my King collection will go down the garbage shute...
    Of course, everyone's invited to wait at the other end.

sk

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let me know when you feel yourself begin to fade... Although I hope it's not anytime soon, of course.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I live more than 15 km away from you, Siep. Keep us updated - I will be foraging among the garbage when the time has come

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What kind of beer?
    Yeah, good point!!!! Domestic or imported?

LOL

well, I've changed my mind... I decided since I'll be stiff when the burning happens - the drink needs to be stiffer.

so instead of beer... REDRUM for everyone!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Directly below that bottle are four books that I am sorely missing from my collection. I'll be roasting my marshmallows over those!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My collection is MY "Pride and Joy" and there's no one I am related to that has an interest in book collecting. Nor do I have any close friends that I'd feel like just willing the collection to.

When I die, assuming my wife survivies me, she will get everything. The problem is, she would have no clue how to go about getting value from this collection. I've written out a document that will help her step through all my estate affairs (taxes, insurance, accounts, etc.) and have enlisted my CPA brother-in-law to help execute the estate. But getting value for the books will be beyond what my wife is capable of and I don't want to burden my BIL.

Thus, a month or so back I contacted a couple of the pre-eminent King experts to request permission to give their name and information to my wife so she could contact them for an appraisal/offer for the collection upon my death. Somehow it seems a shame to sell off the collection for cash, but at least I would know the books would end up in the hands of true collectors, and my wife would get $$.

Having said that, if worst comes to worst or I just get tired of the collection, I'd just do the eBay thing myself. Money is money, regardless of pre-death or post-death. It's not like I was denying someone the enjoyment of inheriting my collection. I'm the only person that cares anything about it for the books' sake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast