Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The DT Series - your thoughts. *spoilers*

Traveler chris777 is on a distinguished road

Default Just finished the series for the first time(my thoughts)

**SPOILERS**

First of all, I liked the series as a whole A LOT. Great book. Great ending. It's so hard to have a good ending, and I think SK did well enough. With that said, here are some of my major complaints:

Mordred:
    He was supposed to be this Demi-God character. He was a BABY and killed one of the most powerful characters in the story with his MIND. Then he goes following the ka-tet, and wills birds and critters to him, so he can eat them. But for some reason, he can't do this with Deer? Or buffalo? Or any other animal? I'm confused?? And why can he kill walter with his mind...but can't do anything close to that with Roland and Susannah or any of the ka-tet? WHY?! He almost dies pissing, shitting and vomiting on himself..yet he's supposed to be this demi-god character? Every prohpecy came true, as far as a Gunsliger coming to save the tower, etc etc...EXCEPT the one where Mordred would kill his father.

Crimson King:
    Why not have mordred be the one to kill Crimson King. That could have been what the prophecy MEANT to say. Because honestly, a little boy drawing him then erasing him is what did it? Seriously? He's an old crazy white haired santa looking guy? And he's like the King of the universes basically.

Marten/Flagg/Walter:
    He's been alive forever, was second in command to the Crimson King. Some sort of Demon Mage, but he dies to a baby? One that got sick off a clown, and beat up by a BUMBLER.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Chris!

I've merged your thread with this existing one. Take a look around, we have some great discussions going in here and in the Mid World forums in general

Traveler Randal Flagg is on a distinguished road

Default Just finished the series, Impressions *many many spoilers*

Well, last night I finally read the last words of The Dark Tower. I've been reading the series since last May, and feel like I myself have arrived at the end of a long journey of my own (somewhat fitting that I should finish it right before I graduate college then). Anyway, now that I've officially finished, I can finally rank the books, so here they are, from my least favorite to favorite. I'm also curious to know how you'd rank the books yourselves, and why.

Song of Susannah
    Probably my least favorite of the series, but i actually accomplishes its task admirably. That task is to bridge books 5 and 7. Although there isn't a whole lot going on throughout most of the book, it does a good job setting things up for the finale. The emphasis on Susannah is annoying, as I never liked her character as much as Roland, Eddie, or Jake, so I think the book might have been better If I got to spend more time with them.

The Gunslinger
    The only book of the series that actually functions perfectly well on its own. It would probably be higher on my list if it was longer. I'm also not sure that it serves as a very good introduction to Roland, since it is so hard to sympathise with him, though I get that we're supposed to see that he's determined and single minded. Although I guess it helps to make his transformation towards the end of the series more dramatic. A good read, but something about it feels a little disjointed, and it feels rather disconnected from the rest of the series.

The Drawing of the Three
    This is where the series started throwing curveballs at me. I never expected the real world to play a role in a fantasy series. It ended up working out in the end, with the whole multiple universes thing, but I was a bit thrown off by it at the time. I like that we get to see Roland growing already, as shown when he saves Jake. The only problem with it is that it tends to drag in some places, notably between The Lady of the Shadows and the Pusher.

Wizard and Glass
    I thouroughly enjoyed the flashback to Roland's past. This book suffers from the same problem as Drawing but it's made up for by the fact that it answers so many questions, like who Susan and Cuthbert and Alain were, though we got a glimpse at some of them in The Gunslinger. The fact that Roland was so Influenced by the Wizard Glass makes his character more sympathetic in my eyes. The action scenes are exceptionally well written, and I love the scene in the bar where Roland's Ka-tet get the drop on the Big Coffin Hunters, with a slingshot and a couple knives.

The Dark Tower
    The finale felt like multiple books really. I thought that it brought the series to a close very effectively. I was tempted to stop reading when Steven King told me to, but I knew that I'd eventually succumb to the temptation anyway. I personally would have ended it before the epilogue. The resurrection of Eddie and Jake cheapens their deaths in my opinion. The book is a bloodbath. I'm somwhat torn on Walter's death though. On the one hand, it's a very graphic scene that provided such a despicable man with a death that is both fitting for his crimes and his character, but on the other hand it seemed like the only reason it happened was to make the reader think "OMG MORDRED IS STRONGER THAN FLAGG AND HE'S JUST A BABY WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO?!?!?" On the whole though, a quality book. I actually got shivers when Roland entered the tower calling out the names of his friends.

Wolves of the Calla
    I like this book for its realism. It feels very weird to say that, but it's true. I like the fact that the book is mostly preparation, and that most of the violence is confined to a single chapter. There were some times when I would have made Roland's "go on" gesture, but it was nice to see how the peope of mid-world live. Also, the large preparation finally gives us a sense of the outright desperation of their situation, the fact that they have so much to do in so little time. I also really enjoyed Father Callahan's character, and I now really want to read 'Salem's Lot.

The Waste Lands
    I loved this book. In this book Roland's Ka-tet fights a giant cyborg bear, a haunted house which comes to life, two warring urban tribes, and a demon train who likes riddles. I remember thinking "man this series has everything! The scenes where Jake is running through THe Mansion as it comes to life around him is particularly intense, and the boo was very well written. The cliffhanger at the end didn't annoy me as much as it must have the people waiting for years between books, but I still had to wait for Wizard and Glass to arrive in the mail, so it was still something I had to contend with. Still, it was a very frustrating cliffhanger, which makes it effective.

Those are my views anyway. What are yours?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site

I have merged your thread with the existing one on overall impressions of the series. Take a look at some of the discussions we have going on in each individual book's section...and get stuck in!

Traveler Echof0xtrot is on a distinguished road

Default 20,000 leagues under the dark tower

first of all, i'm new to the forums. nice to be here

second of all, i just finished the DT series for the second time -- on audiobook, i might add (i hope that's not some sort of mortal sin here). as such, i have questions. muchas preguntas, as our friends in mejis might say. i did a little surfing and thought this looked like the forum to ask those questions and possibly find the answers. please don't prove me wrong.

i was never a big fan of text walls, so i'll break these up into individual threads. either look for interesting titles/subjects on this particular board (Gilead) or just search by my name.

here's the first one...is roland's world our world's future? let me explain...i know there are distinctions between keystone earth and the keystone tower world, but with all the similarities between the two (ex. gas pumps, hey jude, the western motiff, the similarities in spoken and, to a lesser degree, written language, etc.) it's kind of hard to ignore how alike the two are. also, the obvious existence of time travel makes this fact theoretically possible.

are we the "great old ones?" did we go too far with technology, plunging the world into a second dark age from which only a great leader like Arthur Eld could save us? this very site's towerpedia states that the great old ones created north central positronics...yes, i know it's possible for them to have survived all the way from the time of the great old ones, through the great war, through the troubled waters that followed, through the rise and fall of Arthur Eld, gunslingers, and Gilead, all the while, expanding their reach to as many whens and wheres as possible (thus being present in keystone earth and keystone tower at once), but isn't it at least a possibility NCP was incorporated on keystone earth/keystone tower, all this time one and the same?

Spoiler:
    this concept may be a stretch for some, even myself, but i just can't ignore what roland says near the end of the final book, how he compares the new york skyline to that of Lud. more than comparing, though...he recognizes it as what Lud was in it's prime. according to Roland (and I'd trust him, he's been around the block...and around, and around, and around ) Lud is new york's future. the cities are one and the same, thus part of the same world, thus the keystone earth and keystone tower worlds are one and the same...in theory

palaver amongst yourselves and let me know what you think.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site, I tend to agree with you. it seems as though we could be the great old ones, and Rolands world, or time is our future.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Echof0xtrot: please mark your spoilers! Thank you

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy mmagunslinger is on a distinguished road mmagunslinger's Avatar

I also agree I definetly think we are the great old ones responsible for the great collapse so to speak. Ive always been interested in the post apocolypse type setting but this series goes alot further. I think Kings gives hints to it throughout the series without ever reallly saying it like the Citgo Pumps, hey jude, The posters under the dixie pig about certain dates like sept 11th

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site, Echof0xtrot. Good to see you here. I hope you will enjoy being here. Believe me there are lots of things to discover.

Soon we will merge this thread with this: The DT Series - your thoughts.

Roland would have understood.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Echof0xtrot View Post
    first of all, i'm new to the forums. nice to be here ...
    Nice to have you here. Welcome.
    ...is roland's world our world's future?...
    No, I don't believe so.
    DT7
    That's not necessarily so, or even necessarily what Roland was thinking.
    DT7
    I have been talking a lot about this topic lately, if you're interested. Please check out recent threads in the DT7 Barony, the thread The nature of the Rose *hard spoilers*, and various other quotes like this one:
    DT7
    That is to say, The Tower.

SPOILERS

i guess we're putting all new questions in this one thread, so ill pose my newest one in a reply here and hope it gets seen by enough to get a response.

it is hinted on and off how old roland is...he's the last living member of a long-lost civilization that died out thousands of years ago. that in itself lends evidence to roland being that old, or more. but then the notion of "time slipping forward" rears its ugly head. no one knows how old they are or how long they have been somewhere or when their next dental appointment is because time is always slipping and is never constant. i get that. here's my question -- how old is roland really? disregarding time slipping forward (if that's possible) about how old do we think he is? try to incorporate how old his gunna(sp?...i listened to the story, didn't read it) looks to eddie and susannah, especially the bottomless money bag, as well as the instantaneous aging of the revolver susannah takes through the final door.

also, does his age have anything to do with the fact that <<SPOILER>> roland keeps reliving the same story. do we think his age carries over each time, making him older and older each trip though the mohaine? does he possibly not only gain new pieces of his past (i.e. the horn at the end of book 7) but possibly retain his age? could this possibly be putting a time limit on his quest? maybe he only has the ability to relive his story until the climb up the tower's barrel finally kills him.

lastly, if roland really just is THAT OLD, then who's to say there aren't more like him? more survivors of the fall of gilead wandering the wastes...certainly a possibility if the sole reason for his longevity are the ever more prevalent time slips.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...i guess we're putting all new questions in this one thread...
    Actually, we prefer to NOT do that. This is a fairly broad topic, but it is really just a place to collect general reviews of the series from those who haven't gotten into the separated lines of inquiry. Aside from making the thread harder to follow, posting all of your thoughts on various questions here would make other existing threads poorer, since people reading them won't know that more has been said on their topics. Please read How old is Roland? and copy the points you just made onto it. In future, try looking for keywords with the "Search" function on the top menu. For simple questions, we also have this Quick Q&A regarding The Dark Tower thread.

...also, does his age have anything to do with the fact that
    Spoiler:
    roland keeps reliving the same story. do we think his age carries over each time, making him older and older each trip though the mohaine? does he possibly not only gain new pieces of his past (i.e. the horn at the end of book 7) but possibly retain his age? could this possibly be putting a time limit on his quest? maybe he only has the ability to relive his story until the climb up the tower's barrel finally kills him.
    You'll see how to properly mark spoilers if you hit the Quote button on this post. You could hit the Edit button on your own post to correct that, but it's no big deal: although this is a no spoiler board, this thread is marked for spoilers. (as is that existing How Old Is Roland? thread) Even here, though, you should mark spoilers for any non-DT series books or other works which you might mention; there's a special button on the new post menu for labeling what you spoil. Example:
    Planet of the Apes

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ...there's a special button on the new post menu for labeling what you spoil. Example:
    Planet of the Apes
    Best illustration of spoiler function ever.

Simpsons/Planet of the Apes

sorry about that, i have spoilers figured out now. as for posting here rather than creating a new thread, i chose here because my previous thread was moved here (and to me it seemed like it needed its own thread) so i just thought thats how it was done. ill search more, and decide if i should start a new thread or add to this one in the future. sorry, again.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...my previous thread was moved here (and to me it seemed like it needed its own thread)...
    Well, keep at it. It can take some time for the moderators to feel that you know how to contribute to this site. You may have a point; I can't say exactly why it was merged here. However, I'm sure that no one meant to make you feel unwelcome or to dis your input.
    It might have helped if it'd been in a spoiler forum.
    Then again, I know that I am not the only one who has discussed that issue at length before. Might be a good idea to read more of the threads we already have.
    Anyroad, tho, thanks for being here and sharing your perspective.

the last thing i want is for the moderators (or anyone else, for that matter) to feel like they are making me feel unwanted. that's not it at all. i'm just new and, as you said, might not have the insight as to where threads need to be posted. give me a bit, i'll turn out all right
    please ignore any/all spelling mistakes regarding names, places, and words unique to DT. despite all the splendor george guidall added with his sultry/provocative voice, he neglected to spell out new/exciting words.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Echof0xtrot, it's a big place around here. I'm sure you'll find your way around just fine. Just keep posting. It's good to have you here.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Echo! We love new members who jump right in - the reason your thread was merged in here was that, if we saved each individual "I read the series and have a few questions..." thread, there would be thousands of them. This thread is for people to give their own reviews/philosophies etc on the books in general, for more specific discussion (as Path has said) try checking out Gilead/The Baronies/Town Commons etc, as this section of the site (the Mid World forum) is dedicated to DT discussion.

We have covered many topics, if you read through you may find points you have bought up being discussed in exactly the way you wanted to discuss them.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Moving to here interesting comments made on a non-spoiler thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centipede View Post
    ...Book I is more about mood; Book II is about action; Books III and on are very poorly written and for some reason obsessed on putting the world of The Dark Tower together with every other book King has written. ...
    I think that you need to realize that there is actually a good reason that Book III was named for T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."
    I agree that King did not so much continue his great creation of the first book with the rest of the series as thereafter increasingly to write about it, but I'm not so sure that this can be so easily dismissed as just "poor writing."
    As I've pointed out before to others, at least as early as the first appearance of Jake, King was already stretching boundaries.
    One's take on what he did with TDT largely depends, IMO, upon one's fundamental ideas about literature. Love it or hate it, we should all recognize, at least, that it was deliberate.

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default *fixPost* my analysis of the dark tower *spoilers*

I attempted to post this last night. After a couple of edits, the forum seemed to just disappear. I'm not sure what happened to it, so here it is again.

Note: the following essay contains spoilers of every Dark Tower book in the series, including the end of the series.

After completing "The Gunslinger" for the fourth time in my life (my first time reading the revised version), I was compelled to write this essay. It is about Roland's loop and whether or not that loop is endless. I'd love to get some thoughts on this from other Dark Tower readers. "The Gunslinger" is such an amazingly thought provoking book. Bare with me, as the essay is a bit lengthy (1100 words).

.. .... ..
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.”(3) The opening line to the greatest tale I have ever read. The first time I read through the long novel “The Dark Tower”, I loved the first four volumes. I liked the last three up until the last hundred pages or so of the final volume, and I hated the ending. After a few years of having put the series down, I have picked up the first volume The Gunslinger again. Now that I know the ending of the series, this volume has raised many questions in my mind. At the end of the series, it is revealed that Roland must repeat what we have read over and over until he can do it without damning himself. So the biggest question is, can Roland get to the Dark Tower without making those mistakes, or is he destined to repeat these events for all of eternity?
    The mistake that Roland makes, which is most emphasized in The Gunslinger is that Roland allowed the boy, Jake to fall to his death. But is this really a mistake or is it a single chain in a long chain of events that allowed him to reach the Tower? Could he reach the Dark Tower without dropping the boy? When Roland visits the Oracle in the mountains she tells him “The boy is your gate to the man in black. The man in black is your gate to the three. The three are your way to the Dark Tower”(138 ). This line of text seems to suggest that Roland must let the boy die in order to get to the man in black , that Roland must speak to the man in black in order to get to the three, and that Roland must draw his three in order to reach the Dark Tower. But how can we know that what the oracle says is the definite truth? She, herself said, “We see in part, and thus is the mirror of prophecy is darkened.”(138 ). This suggests that the prophecy is not definitive and that the Oracle does not see everything. Then comes the moment of truth in which the boy, Jake is suspended over his doom and Roland must make a choice between saving Jake and catching the man in black. The man in black says “No more games. Come now, gunslinger. Or catch me never.” Again, it is suggested that Roland must let the boy fall to his doom but has Stephen King not already told us that the man in black is full of tricks? King says, “it occurred to him later that this was when he began to love the boy – which was, of course, what the man in black must have planned all along. Was there ever a trap to match the trap of love?”(96). There are many quotes like this one throughout the book, illustrating how tricky the man in black can be. The gunslinger wrestles with himself throughout the last half of the book, trying to decide weather or not to let the boy die. At one point he thinks “The Tower did not have to be obtained in this humiliating, nose rubbing way, did it? Let his quest resume after the boy had a growth of years, when the two of them could cast the man in black aside like a cheap wind-up toy” (197). Could he have done just that? Could he have gone back and trained Jake as a gunslinger, waited ten years, and resumed the quest? Ten years seem to pass after Roland palavers with the man in black in the end anyway. Why not spend it training Jake to be a gunslinger?
    Most importantly, there was the prophecy of the oracle. She said the man in black is Roland's gate to the three. But is that also a lie? The man in black, himself negates this at the end of the book when he says, “No one wants to invest you with power of any kind, gunslinger; it is simply in you, and I am compelled to tell you, partly because of the sacrifice of the boy, and partly because it is the law; the natural law of things”(229). This suggests that Roland has the power to draw his three without ever meeting the man in black. In that case, he didn't have to catch him in the first place. He and Jake could have gone on to the beach and drawn the three together. But would Roland have been able to draw his three without the knowledge of his ability to draw them? This is not explained.
    But was Jake Roland's only mistake? Roland later saves Jake and spends the rest of the series making up for allowing him to fall in the first place. So didn't he atone for that mistake before reaching the tower? Roland made more mistakes along the way. He made a tactical decision which led to the death of his beloved Susan and the child she carried in Wizard and Glass. He gunned down his mother. He killed every man, woman and child in Tull without a second thought. Later, he regretted it, as is illustrated by him getting the story off his chest when he speaks to the Dweller, Brown. But in the moment, he didn't even think about it.
    Roland's quest for the tower is nothing if not noble. He seeks the tower, not to rule over everything like the Crimson King, but to reinstate order in a world of chaos. He seeks the tower to right the wrongs in his world. Do the ends justify the means? It does not appear so, as Roland must repeat these events. But does Roland not do enough good to make up for his mistakes? He saved the boy, Jake in The Wastelands and he saved an so many lives along with Jake, Susannah, and Eddie in Wolves of the Calla. He saved the rose from being demolished in Song of Susannah. He did so many great things along the way during his quest that it is hard to fathom he is not a good man. I think he is a good man. He is the anti-hero. But he is still a hero in his own right.
    Because the loop starts at the beginning of the events of The Gunslinger in which he lets the boy die, rather than Wizard and Glass in which he allows Susan to die and kills his mother, one could assume that Jake is the essential reason he must repeat until he does not make the mistakes. Before he forgets everything, Roland thinks it will be different this time because he has the horn of Eld. But, the horn has nothing to do with it. It is the boy, Jake. I believe that, if Roland saves the boy, rather than letting him fall, he can draw his three and reach the Dark Tower without damning his own soul. If he can stand and be true. Be true to Jake.
    *all quotes are taken from "The Gunslinger", revised, in trade paper back format.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently, you couldn't see your post because it took it some time to get past our spam filter. Now that it has been approved, you can see it here where you posted it.

Now, this thread is likely to be deleted, and the other one will stay for some time, then be merged.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just don't buy the "dropping Jake is why he repeats" theory. As you stated he later rights that wrong (Jake does tell him to let go "there are other worlds than these".), which in fact was originally perpetrated by the MIB/Mort. Roland actually prevents the entire series of events that lead up to the cave and eventually draws Jake willingly into Mid-World, more like destiny. Also, the folks in Tull were trying to kill Roland so it was really self-defense, not wholesale slaughter.

To me, it seems that the events prior to "The man in Black fled........" go more toward making Roland the chosen one or emissary, since he repeats the loop from that exact moment in time, which would seem to indicate that it is something he does from that point in his quest and forward that will determine whether or not he will reach the Tower. If he has done something prior to that point in time that damns him (like the Susan debacle) then the story really has no chance for a point as he has no control over those past events.

I still remain baffled by the loop and especially the Horn. Why would an item from a past event (prior to the desert and MIB) have significance? Unless his entire quest is some sort of simile for his original sins and each choice he makes on his quest to the Tower rights a wrong (or confirms it) from his past and the fact that he gets the Horn in the end shows that he has made progress in this loop.

I've read the damn thing 4 times as well and though I love the story and all its twists and turns I still always end with the feeling that King was stuck for an ending. LOL Actually, if you have read all his books, that's kinda his M.O. Great stories, lousy or questionable endings. Still you just gotta love the ride!!!!

Anyway that's just my humble and simple opinion on the matter.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Default tull

well, there are two things about Tull that I noticed to be mistakes. In the original text, Roland kills Allie, who has been taken prisoner by Sheb. She could have been spared. In the revised version, this killing is made out to look more human, as she has already been driven insane by the time he guns her down (a change I was unhappy with, by the way). The other thing is that, the last few people he killed in Tull were attempting to flee when he began shooting them from behind. So the last five or ten people could have been let go with no harm to Roland. Those two things were mistakes. The rest of it, I agree, was self defense and justified. However, Roland knew a trap had been set for him in Tull and that if he stayed too long, it would be sprung. Yet, he stayed anyway. That was another mistake. I can get quotes if that needs to be supported directly from the text. On the whole, Tull seems to be another one of those unfortunate events for Roland that could have been avoided and was not.

Default Tull

On the other hand, Tull happened before the loop begins anyway. So that can't be part of it either. If Tull is a part of it and the events of Wizard and Glass are a part of it, then Roland is stuck in an endless loop... which really sucks.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

woodpryan:

Tull seems to me to be a representation of Mejis. Sheb is the best example; he is even the piano player in the tavern! Along with Sheb, you have the witch who is clearly a throw-back to Rhea. When Roland entered the town of Tull and encountered the citizens, I believe that he had horrible flash-backs of Mejis and the time he had spent there. With everything that we learned about in Wizard & Glass I think it is totally understandable that Roland would have gone a bit insane and murdered everyone, including those citizens who were trying to flee. Can you tell me that if you were in his position you would have done anything differently?

An interesting side note: if I remember right, the man he met on the out-skirts of town that owned the raven Zoltan was also the first man to throw husks at Susan as she was being ridden into town for charyou tree. In my opinion, Roland acted like a saint under the circumstances for as long as he could. I would have been shooting much faster than he had.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast