Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The idea wasn't to use it on my Windows in the apartment, but to have it on the inside of the Billy Bookcase glass doors. Most of the collection has been brodarted already, I'll have to spend some time making sure everything is tucked away nicely.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread, but I'm looking at Billy book cases with glass doors, however my books will frequently be exposed to sunlight. I'm in an apartment and there's no avoiding it, there are large Windows (one wall is glass) that will get Sun, and my books *will* be exposed. Is the clear UV filter laminant that goes on the glass + brodart enough to solve this?
    If you UV laminate the windows and use Brodart covers then you should be fine.

I helped Jeremy (herbertwest) purchase some film and he was happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8&tag=csk21-20

The Brodart covers are polyester which absorbs UV rays. I wouldn't trust them alone in full sun but they do help. With the film you should be fine. There are also tinted versions of UV film.

BTW don't use UV lighting in your house.
    Question to Brian or whomever has put these on themselves. I ordered this and it came in the mail. The instructions are "anal" about cleaning the glass and spraying water as you go. Do you really need to spray water while working with the sheet as you attach it? Won't that give you water spotting covered underneath the glass between glass and the UV piece? Can't I just clean the glass and then attach the piece? Curious...thanks.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread, but I'm looking at Billy book cases with glass doors, however my books will frequently be exposed to sunlight. I'm in an apartment and there's no avoiding it, there are large Windows (one wall is glass) that will get Sun, and my books *will* be exposed. Is the clear UV filter laminant that goes on the glass + brodart enough to solve this?
    If you UV laminate the windows and use Brodart covers then you should be fine.

I helped Jeremy (herbertwest) purchase some film and he was happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8&tag=csk21-20

The Brodart covers are polyester which absorbs UV rays. I wouldn't trust them alone in full sun but they do help. With the film you should be fine. There are also tinted versions of UV film.

BTW don't use UV lighting in your house.
    Question to Brian or whomever has put these on themselves. I ordered this and it came in the mail. The instructions are "anal" about cleaning the glass and spraying water as you go. Do you really need to spray water while working with the sheet as you attach it? Won't that give you water spotting covered underneath the glass between glass and the UV piece? Can't I just clean the glass and then attach the piece? Curious...thanks.

The water actually helps. You can be as anal as you like. The more the better in this situation. You want it as clean as possible.

Watch both of these videos. Combined they will help explain the reasoning and procedures. (They have slightly different procedures.)

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Thanks Brian! Fingers crossed this goes well!
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bit the bullet and bought a Billy, with the extension on top it's quite tall, but it looks pretty sharp with the half glass doors and the glass doors on the upper extension.

Images are huge so I've added spoiler tags so you don't have to scroll all the way through them if don't care.

Constructed, with topper:
    Spoiler:

Threw on the main doors. I opted for the half glass so I could pack the bottom with either A) more valuable books I didn't really want exposed or B) cheap paperbacks which don't look as nice and don't really need to be "displayed" so to speak, *Almost* scraping the ceilings too, it's really quite tall:
    Spoiler:

Complete with upper glass doors and stocked with books. The vast majority of these aren't terribly valuable books (with a few exceptions), they're just the books that have made it to my apartment so far. Most of the SK collection is at my last home, and will be moved over once I get the UV seal on the glass and more book shelves constructed in the apartment. So for now it's an odd mish-mash of Herbert, King, Card, Hill, Tolkien, Martin, Matheson, etc.
    Spoiler:

Closed up, I think it will look even more impressive when there are more than one Book Case and the second and third and full of King:
    Spoiler:

Anyone else have concerns about the gap between the two doors letting in shafts of light? I know I'm being paranoid, but it does get full sun for hours a day.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler:

Anyone else have concerns about the gap between the two doors letting in shafts of light? I know I'm being paranoid, but it does get full sun for hours a day.[/QUOTE]

You could always overlap the crack with a strip of lumber stained the same color as the case doors & placed on the back of one of the doors or just use some black mat-board.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Spoiler:

Anyone else have concerns about the gap between the two doors letting in shafts of light? I know I'm being paranoid, but it does get full sun for hours a day.
    You could always overlap the crack with a strip of lumber stained the same color as the case doors & placed on the back of one of the doors or just use some black mat-board.[/QUOTE]

Sunlight is not an issue in my book room. However, I am in SC and have issues with flying roaches (that's right--they fly here!). My boyfriend put foam weatherstripping between mine to help keep out the bugs. I'd think it would work just as well as a sun-blocker.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I moved earlier this year and now have the same concern about sunlight - indirect, but on the sunny side of the house. So I bought those cheap ($5) black-out "temporary" paper shades and installed them on the interior of the doors. A goal for 2016 is to install UV-protectant film.

Still I am concerned about the light line allowed by the thin space between each door and the bookcase. (The doors in each set overlap so no space between doors, which is nice.)
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I moved earlier this year and now have the same concern about sunlight - indirect, but on the sunny side of the house. So I bought those cheap ($5) black-out "temporary" paper shades and installed them on the interior of the doors. A goal for 2016 is to install UV-protectant film.

Still I am concerned about the light line allowed by the thin space between each door and the bookcase. (The doors in each set overlap so no space between doors, which is nice.)
    Here's some pics, if anyone is interested.

Closed:

Spoiler:

The one on the far right is where I am most concerned about the spaces between the door/case.

Open:

Spoiler:

I haven't overstuffed these bookcases as I have in the past. Really I need a couple more of the tall ones in order to unpack the rest of the boxes of my books.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

You could always overlap the crack with a strip of lumber stained the same color as the case doors & placed on the back of one of the doors or just use some black mat-board.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, but provided there is space, I think I would go with a strip of heavy rubber behind one of the doors. Just a suggestion.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Spoiler:

That's a good idea, but provided there is space, I think I would go with a strip of heavy rubber behind one of the doors. Just a suggestion.
    Or....cut a strip of black felt and tack it top to bottom down the inside of one of the doors. This way when both doors are closed, the second door simply rest on the felt strip.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

Or....cut a strip of black felt and tack it top to bottom down the inside of one of the doors. This way when both doors are closed, the second door simply rest on the felt strip.

Mulleins
    Simple, I like it. Something to consider for sure.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins

Go with, Ralph's suggestion. I am but "Riff- raff, LOL I did mean a soft and thin piece of rubber, but Ralph has it nailed. Ralph? My Dad needs "Linzer Tarts" right now!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Mulleins

Go with, Ralph's suggestion. I am but "Riff- raff, LOL I did mean a soft and thin piece of rubber, but Ralph has it nailed. Ralph? My Dad needs "Linzer Tarts" right now!!! LOL LOL
    No way on the Linzer Tarts. I believe you shared your box with him and look what it did. JK Hope he is doing better. Karen and I are thinking about you.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I found a corner where I could cram in another bookcase. So I did.

My Mood
    Confused

I think you did a nice job Patrick. Just don't put the fireplace on high......

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Spoiler:

You could always overlap the crack with a strip of lumber stained the same color as the case doors & placed on the back of one of the doors or just use some black mat-board.
    Sunlight is not an issue in my book room. However, I am in SC and have issues with flying roaches (that's right--they fly here!). My boyfriend put foam weatherstripping between mine to help keep out the bugs. I'd think it would work just as well as a sun-blocker.[/QUOTE]

lol at the roaches. I'm here in SC too, that cracked me up!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you. What could possibly go wrong?

My Mood
    Confused

Gas fireplace, nothing. Wood fireplace.....that could perhaps be bad as I've seen sparks fly and go places I never thought possible.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Spoiler:

Sunlight is not an issue in my book room. However, I am in SC and have issues with flying roaches (that's right--they fly here!). My boyfriend put foam weatherstripping between mine to help keep out the bugs. I'd think it would work just as well as a sun-blocker.
    lol at the roaches. I'm here in SC too, that cracked me up! [/QUOTE]

lol flying roaches...you mean Palmetto Bugs...that's what we tell the tourists in Florida!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you tried angling the case so it sits diagonally?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Gas fireplace, nothing. Wood fireplace.....that could perhaps be bad as I've seen sparks fly and go places I never thought possible.
    It's wood-burning. The fireplace is deep enough that the actual fire is back a bit, and the bookcase is far enough away and around the corner from the fire, that I'm not worried about it. There's a screen to keep sparks out of the room as well. Mostly though, I live in temperate, coastal California. Fires are infrequent and typically small (e.g. a single Duraflame log for ambience). The house has centralized heating, so the fireplace is not a meaningful source of heat.

One nice feature of this bookcase model is that the doors have an overlapping lip, creating a seal. Still have the issue on the hinge sides of the doors, but the overlap knocks out 1/3 of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

Have you tried angling the case so it sits diagonally?
    I thought about angling it, but that would bring it closer to the fireplace and also create issues around securing it to a wall for safety (kids, earthquakes, etc.).

I'm not sure it's obvious from the earlier photo, but the doors open fully without hitting the mantle. And, anyway, no one opens those doors except me.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Patrick.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

very nice job, and great use of the space,

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, guys. I'm loading it exclusively with non-SK, non-JH, non-Gaiman books. It's freed up a good amount of space in my other bookcases to get my King collection in better order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast