Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Illustrations in a Published Work--Nominations Closed

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:X: Best Illustrations in a Published Work--Nominations Closed

This thread is for members to nominate titles and artists for the Award for Best Illustrations in a Published Work. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must simply be a published work written by Stephen King. Titles originally published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible. Any edition—trade or limited—is eligible for nomination in this category.

To nominate a title & artist for this category, simply post your book and corresponding artist/illustrator of choice in this thread with at least three examples of the illustrations from the book you’re nominating. In order for a title to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title & artist must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title & artist listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. It is not necessary to post images when seconding or thirding nominations. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

Illustration images from all of King’s books can be found in our King Illustrations Catalog.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.
    Heng Dai

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Michael Whelan - Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

SECONDED!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Is there really much question that Whelan's DT-7 art will win?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

*I* wouldn't think so.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it hasn't been nominated until you post three pics. Didn't you read the rules?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I nominate Bernie Wrightson- The Stand.
    I don't know why, but I liked the illustrations

Country
    Country Flag

Was it Bernie Wrightson that did those, razz? I know I could look, but I am too lazy at the moment.

Everyone BE SURE to post three example pics and the name of the artist

It will make it easier for people to second and third nominations if they aren't going entirely on memory.
    Heng Dai

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

yup, It's Bernie Wrightson. I had to go back and edit my post because i left his name out.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

second bernie wrightson with the stand. those illustrations were amazing. and some were quite scary.
    Last edited by The Lady of Shadows; 12-02-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarification of what/who i meant.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Stand thirded.

Personaly, other than the cover image, DT7 wasn't very impressive in terms of illustrations.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Is there really much question that Whelan's DT-7 art will win?
    I dunno. I didn't think it was very good at all. I liked his illustrations for The Gunslinger better,

I am going to have to think about my nominations for this one. I am torn.
    Heng Dai

Interesting Aaron.

Alright... here are examples of Whelan's DT-7 artwork. I particularly love the one of Callahan at the Dixie Pig...

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, now that I see them again, I think I may have to retract my previous statement. There were just a few that stood out to me that I disliked. I was always partial to the one with Jake and the 'Rizas.
    Heng Dai

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Actually, now that I see them again, I think I may have to retract my previous statement. There were just a few that stood out to me that I disliked. I was always partial to the one with Jake and the 'Rizas.
    I told you they were good.

I tried to include as many of them as possible, especially all the ones I really liked. I also really like the one of Jake, not for the least of reasons being that Whelan (correctly) made him blonde.

I don't like all of the illustrations in that book. The one of Walter (not included) is kinda meh, and the one of the ka-tet celebrating at Blue Heaven has always ticked me off. I think the Susannah in that pic looks like Robin Quivers. The rest of the illustrations I think are fantastic. For the record, I love Whelan's stuff for The Gunslinger as well. He is, without question, my favorite visual interpreter of the series.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like the one of Roland and Jake at the mouth of the cave. And, of course, Roland in front of the Tower.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That Whelan stuff is so beautiful. I'd forgotten how great it was.

I'm gonna go with a little Bernie Wrightson myself and his work on Cycle of the Werewolf.

These 2 scare the crap out of me

And this one just cracks me up. Perfect.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Michael Whelan - Dark Tower 7 thirded

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Michael Whelan - Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower........ 3
    Bernie Wrightson - The Stand........ 3
    Bernie Wrightson - Cycle of the Werewolf........ 1

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cycle seconded. Great stuff, and I wish I had the hardcover...

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Rick Berry's illustrations from Black House:

Heng Dai

I'll second Rick Berry's Black House stuff. Very cool style.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna go with Phil Hale's original DT2 illustrations. Those freaked me out when I first got the book (a paperback). My hardcover edition is a second edition with the new illustrations, and those I don't like as much. I may need to procure a first edition one of these days.

The pics are here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=1354 - but don't seem to work now?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the Phil Hale pictures don't work for me either.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Just post the pics in the thread, pablo.
    Heng Dai

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast