Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mr. Rabbit Trick - congrats on The Plant purchase. I've done a few shows in Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and Scotland rocks! I'd like to get back there someday when I have a better job

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok I do have a question from a sort-of n00b collector - particularly SK: I just checked out eBay, and there are F/F 1st/1st copies of the regular Grant HC Wizard and Glass for prices ranging from around $95 to nearly $200. I'm guessing there are some discrepancies in the conditions, regardless of the descriptions, but does this signal a volatile market? A "dumb" seller's market? Why such a tremendous range?

ps Hope this is in the right thread?

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Right. Example, when had a matching signed THE PLANT gone up for sale?.
    2 sets have sold at Betts this year. I bought one.
    Was all 3 signed/inscribed to the same person?. All 3 numbered copies?. If so, I must have missed it. All the sets being sold that I have seen, has a proof as one of the copies.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mort View Post
    Ok I do have a question from a sort-of n00b collector - particularly SK: I just checked out eBay, and there are F/F 1st/1st copies of the regular Grant HC Wizard and Glass for prices ranging from around $95 to nearly $200. I'm guessing there are some discrepancies in the conditions, regardless of the descriptions, but does this signal a volatile market? A "dumb" seller's market? Why such a tremendous range?

For quite a while, the Grant Wizard and Glass seemed to be fairly scarce and was going for prices in the $200 range. A few years ago, the market saw a number of these, so the price went down. You have to remember that there were 40,000 of these printed. This was, also, the first (and, I think, only) Grant Dark Tower book to be sold in some of the chain bookstores, which meant a substantial number went to readers, not collectors. A number of these eventually also hit the market. I think the true value would be in the $100 range right now.

John

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mort View Post

For quite a while, the Grant Wizard and Glass seemed to be fairly scarce and was going for prices in the $200 range. A few years ago, the market saw a number of these, so the price went down. You have to remember that there were 40,000 of these printed. This was, also, the first (and, I think, only) Grant Dark Tower book to be sold in some of the chain bookstores, which meant a substantial number went to readers, not collectors. A number of these eventually also hit the market. I think the true value would be in the $100 range right now.

John
    I see - that makes sense to me. It's still kind of weird to see people selling an item simultaneously for such a range! I suppose part of that is just eBay being eBay! Thanks, John!
    Nick

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Was all 3 signed/inscribed to the same person?. All 3 numbered copies?. If so, I must have missed it. All the sets being sold that I have seen, has a proof as one of the copies.
    One set was inscribed to same person, and all were numbered.
    One set was inscribed to same person, first 2 numbered, 3rd was prooof.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

They're so plain, yet so desirable! (If that's not Freudian, what is?)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

+1 to Dr. Freud! They're absolutely fantastic!

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I think Patrick nailed it.

Re: the selling of collections - I'm sure this has nothing to do with a declining market for, or waning interest in King items. I think that many younger collectors (like me) either don't have a true focus in their collection yet, or they have to cope with sudden shifts in the dynamics of their private and professional lives. So large lots of books get sold every now and then, but it's almost never the truly high-end stuff. Those books stay where they are, in the stable collections of people like Bob, David, Mike, Terry and Dave.

well...actually.... I did sell one book - but that's all I've managed to part with so far - at least I am not buying anymore.

well, that's not exactly true, I have quit buying king, but I'm still buying Robert McGammon lettereds and the occasional Jack Ketchum limiteds - my other favorite authors.

My waining interest originates mostly from my disappointment with a lot of the small (and large) publisher's way of doing business....
    I'm just tired of the way they treat customers, so I have chosen to find other interests that don't upset me as much.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thanks for the photos, MR. RT.

Those are GREAT purchases!.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good reading and thoughts guys!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Certain items are commanding more than ever.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree RF. if I were to sell every book I bought in the last 3 years... I would make a HEALTHY profit. Not to mention the art side of it as well. I think King will continue to grow. Not only that... I believe when (and it is a matter of when... Not if...) the Dark Tower movies/tv comes out (and it's done like Lord of the Rings or better) AND it is amazing thus peaking millions interest to read and learn more. And your right some stuff just keeps going up and Up!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I totally agree RF. if I were to sell every book I bought in the last 3 years... I would make a HEALTHY profit. Not to mention the art side of it as well. I think King will continue to grow. Not only that... I believe when (and it is a matter of when... Not if...) the Dark Tower movies/tv comes out (and it's done like Lord of the Rings or better) AND it is amazing thus peaking millions interest to read and learn more. And your right some stuff just keeps going up and Up!
    I said from the day they announced that the movies were going to be made that they would never happen, and I stand by that.

Lord of The Rings took 50 years to be made into a decent film, and I don't believe TDT has anywhere near the fan base LOTR does.

Time will tell, but I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I said from the day they announced that the movies were going to be made that they would never happen, and I stand by that.

Lord of The Rings took 50 years to be made into a decent film, and I don't believe TDT has anywhere near the fan base LOTR does.

Really Tippy? You do not see it... I do. There is a lot of work that has been done so far on the films and I think we will see it happen. Hollywood NEEDS ideas and the Dark Tower is a great one. Let's say it does happen.. what are your thoughts on the value of King books after they start to roll out?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. It's already been bouncing around Hollywood, for what, almost ten years now? I'd be surprised if they ever make it to the first film.
    I'd be even more surprised if it's actually any good! There are a LOT of cooks in the kitchen when movies get made. I'm sure (big) if/when we DO get one, it will be vastly different from the source material.
    But back on topic... I'm sure the books would see a spike initially, and even more so if the film proves successful (i.e. early Potter, Marvel, etc.).

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post

I agree. It's already been bouncing around Hollywood, for what, almost ten years now? I'd be surprised if they ever make it to the first film.
    I'd be even more surprised if it's actually any good! There are a LOT of cooks in the kitchen when movies get made. I'm sure (big) if/when we DO get one, it will be vastly different from the source material.
    But back on topic... I'm sure the books would see a spike initially, and even more so if the film proves successful (i.e. early Potter, Marvel, etc.).
    Time is not important. GRRM was approached for the tv adaptation of GOT in 1990ties so we could say that circulated for 20 years.

The most important thing is that at the moment tv series are very popular and as we can see while looking at marvel cinematic universe it is possible to connect tv series (agents of shield, agent carter, daredevil) with theater blockbusters.

My opinion is now or never.
    Of course "now" means 2-3 years from now
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I really bumped this more for what is actually selling now at significantly higher or lower prices than issue. Not stuff based upon any King book(s) being made into a movie.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I really bumped this more for what is actually selling now at significantly higher or lower prices than issue. Not stuff based upon any King book(s) being made into a movie.
    This is an interesting read if you start at the beginning. I was a casual collector back when this thread was started with no connections so to see the comments and opinions is cool.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Recent titles selling well above issue price: CD IT, Joyland limiteds. The classic limiteds and early trades have kept their value, by and large. I'm not experiencing the market as 'soft', personally, but I wasn't collecting yet when the prices soared so I can't really compare.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A little selfish promotion, but can you imagine what a signed "Finders Keepers" will be worth with no signing tour scheduled and one of the few places to get one is in the "HF Grand Prize Giveaway", personalized to boot and only costs $10 for an entry?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

For me... The world... Have him spell my name right.... Haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, hopefully he has a better version of "Auto Correct" than you!!! LOL LOL

You're a good egg but, Stroppy? Nail him anyway!!! LOL LOL He's getting "cocky"!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well, hopefully he has a better version of "Auto Correct" than you!!! LOL LOL

You're a good egg but, Stroppy? Nail him anyway!!! LOL LOL He's getting "cocky"!!!! LOL
    Ask RF.. I dropped $30 yesterday. I knew I would owe it. Man you guys are tough on a buddy! lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just think of it as a 'free' lesson in Grammar, Kris

Back on topic now please gentlemen....

I get the feeling the S/L Coffin Case Stand is starting to pick up again in price, $1800 - $2000 seems quite common now. Is this an all time high or has it peaked higher previously?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast