Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, now that you mention it, you can still buy Just After Sunset direct from Hatchards for 40 pounds.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    C'mon guys, I can understand it if posts are deleted for the sake of moderation but at least tell the 'offenders' that their posts were removed.
    As far as I know we do notify when we delete (which is pretty rare). The only reason I delete without saying anything is if it's a double post Is it possible the post/s was/were just moved to another thread?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

C'mon guys, I can understand it if posts are deleted for the sake of moderation but at least tell the 'offenders' that their posts were removed.
    What post(s) are you referring to? General description if you recall.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

For some reason I couldn't find the ones where Bill and I were bitching But after plugging my eyeballs properly in their sockets they were there again. My bad!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I did not delete any such posts.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

They're still back there at post #352. (Unless you guys started up again.)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    They're still back there at post #352. (Unless you guys started up again.)
    So thus I (nor any other Mod) did not delete any posts.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Correct, you guys didn't delete anything, I was mistaken.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for re-visiting that dark time in my storied history!!! LOL Much obliged!!!! LOL

Spoiler:
    J/K Even though in retrospect I regretted certain words, etc. I refrained from any deletions in order to maintain continuity. Also, when I'm wrong, I can admit it!!! Well two thirds of it anyway!!!! LOL J/K!!!!!

Spoiler:
    Oh, and thanks "Robert Fulman" for "pinpointing it" for posterity and ease of access!!!! LOL Just "breaking balls" is all. I can take it.

Maybe we should make a "How not to post" training video of the exchange???? LOL LOL LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

I'm seeing a lot of people dumping their king collections into the market right now - what's the deal?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Thelangoleer View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of people dumping their king collections into the market right now - what's the deal?
    • Tough economy.
    • Over-collection
    • Lack of excitement-nothing on the King book publishing horizon for 11 months (that could change for a S/L) King seems to have decided nothing for over a year. Perhaps he's tired-of touring, signing etc. He will likely write until the day he dies, but other than wanting to "get the story out there", there is little to compel him to publish a book.
    • Aging collecting demographic (USA).
    Just a few thoughts. Certainly if a person has liquidity, it is a "buyer's" market. Go forth and obtain..

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

So are we going to begin to see all these S/L and first editions lose a ton of value?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm horrible with specific values, but I don't expect a major long term change.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelangoleer View Post
    • Tough economy.
    • Over-collection
    • Lack of excitement-nothing on the King book publishing horizon for 11 months (that could change for a S/L) King seems to have decided nothing for over a year. Perhaps he's tired-of touring, signing etc. He will likely write until the day he dies, but other than wanting to "get the story out there", there is little to compel him to publish a book.
    • Aging collecting demographic (USA).
    Just a few thoughts. Certainly if a person has liquidity, it is a "buyer's" market. Go forth and obtain..
    Your comments are insightful and make total sense to me! I personally collect my SK books because I love his books. I am not doing this for an "investment" and I will not be selling any of my personal favorites "ever". However, as i see my library getting over run by books -- UK editions! Why do I read these posts and buy UK editions! I was fine with my signed 1st editions, then i found S/L and gift editions and then ....

I would love to get David's perspective, but i think these collections are being sold as individual circumstances warrant and not a mass wholesale of everyone's collection.

But lucky me. I pick up one new book from each person's collection!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

but i think these collections are being sold as individual circumstances warrant and not a mass wholesale of everyone's collection.
    WARNING: JMO (Just My Opinion) Ahead-

Your comment quoted above is exactly right. Collectors tend to have a knee jerk reaction to the value of prized possession if someone else has a fire sale, change of heart, or must dump due to unforeseen reasons. When this happens it is in no way what the value of the item really is. To our member Thelangoleer, if you are seeing these "dumped collections" on Ebay, Abe, etc. I can tell you personally, Ebay doesn't set the market price. I've seen Ebay books go for $125 but Betts can get $200 for the same one. Why? Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and not everyone likes, trust, or even visits Ebay.

There is a whole other group of collectors out there, and believe me, they are high end collectors and have been buying up books left and right. Are they investing/speculating or just doing it for the pure love of collecting? Not sure, but I for one never adjust the value of a book just because someone got a great deal. I may be jealous, yes, and you can call me a fool if you want, but I never think of it as the market declining.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I'm in!

I just re-read Long Walk, written I think in the late 1970s, which probably pre-dates the worst of his drug days but is certainly the heydey of cocaine.

It is SO much better than most of his recent books that it's silly to even compare. It puts 11/22/63 to shame - the editing, the discipline, the focus, it's all there.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 11/22/63 - didn't love it, but I liked it. But "Long Walk" is really fantastc (especially when compared to Hunger Games). It's all about editing and not being afraid to be 250 pages (or whatever) instead of fluffing it out to 950 pages just so it looks impressive on the bookshelf.

Anyway, off topic...
    I think it is close enough to topic to have discussion. The Long Walk and DTII are two of my top 5 king books. Both are raw, intense, short-but not missing a thing and perfect. Perhaps the only (IMO) nit picks are certain details that are in 30 years dated, but the pure "' 'Rage' " against a futuristic government and society that took great joy in the unfolding-think of it as "American Idol", but if you stop singing, we shoot you; is scarily prescient. That concept would sadly be #1 in America.
    No idea how I randomly came upon this thread, but +1 to RF. Long Walk and DTII are in my top ten - in fact I should go back and check: I think they're in my top five? Both fantastic blends of suspense along with some of his best character work.

Gunslinger Apprentice Captain Hollister will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mort View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I'm in!

I just re-read Long Walk, written I think in the late 1970s, which probably pre-dates the worst of his drug days but is certainly the heydey of cocaine.

It is SO much better than most of his recent books that it's silly to even compare. It puts 11/22/63 to shame - the editing, the discipline, the focus, it's all there.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 11/22/63 - didn't love it, but I liked it. But "Long Walk" is really fantastc (especially when compared to Hunger Games). It's all about editing and not being afraid to be 250 pages (or whatever) instead of fluffing it out to 950 pages just so it looks impressive on the bookshelf.

Anyway, off topic...
    I think it is close enough to topic to have discussion. The Long Walk and DTII are two of my top 5 king books. Both are raw, intense, short-but not missing a thing and perfect. Perhaps the only (IMO) nit picks are certain details that are in 30 years dated, but the pure "' 'Rage' " against a futuristic government and society that took great joy in the unfolding-think of it as "American Idol", but if you stop singing, we shoot you; is scarily prescient. That concept would sadly be #1 in America.
    No idea how I randomly came upon this thread, but +1 to RF. Long Walk and DTII are in my top ten - in fact I should go back and check: I think they're in my top five? Both fantastic blends of suspense along with some of his best character work.
    I agree too, The Long Walk and The Drawing Of The Three are my two favourite books by any author. Both are perfect IMO.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Room 217 is right...

It goes both ways...when a book gets a big selling price than everyone jumps in to try and get the same price, and the reverse is also true...people panic sell when there's a perceived decline in price.

It does seem like more big collections are for sale lately...but how many is that really? Three or four? Still not many. But, like was said, there's just nothing going on (and I don't think there will ever be) that will generate a return of the interest we saw in the early 2000s....the Dark Tower movie might have done it, but that won't happen now, so I do see a longterm stagnation, unfortunately.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    but i think these collections are being sold as individual circumstances warrant and not a mass wholesale of everyone's collection.
    WARNING: JMO (Just My Opinion) Ahead-

Your comment quoted above is exactly right. Collectors tend to have a knee jerk reaction to the value of prized possession if someone else has a fire sale, change of heart, or must dump due to unforeseen reasons. When this happens it is in no way what the value of the item really is. To our member Thelangoleer, if you are seeing these "dumped collections" on Ebay, Abe, etc. I can tell you personally, Ebay doesn't set the market price. I've seen Ebay books go for $125 but Betts can get $200 for the same one. Why? Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and not everyone likes, trust, or even visits Ebay.

There is a whole other group of collectors out there, and believe me, they are high end collectors and have been buying up books left and right. Are they investing/speculating or just doing it for the pure love of collecting? Not sure, but I for one never adjust the value of a book just because someone got a great deal. I may be jealous, yes, and you can call me a fool if you want, but I never think of it as the market declining.

Mulleins
    Good call, 217. I'm just beginning to start collecting SK, and the prices do vary - a lot. I've seen people selling a 1st/1st Gunslinger (not S/L) for between $750 and $1500!!

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Should have mentioned - all of these in the same condition - F/F!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that sites like eBay and forums like Calvin's Corner in TDT.org create an environment of better, more even distribution of information. Therefore I think the market more quickly normalizes and completed sales prices become more a matter of true supply vs. demand. It is not a perfect commodity market, of course, but I think ultimately this leads to greater confidence for new collectors and less potential profit for pure speculators.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think that sites like eBay and forum's like Calvin's Corner in TDT.org create an environment of better, more even distribution of information. Therefore I think the market more quickly normalizes and completed sales prices become more a matter of true supply vs. demand. It is not a perfect commodity market, of course, but I think ultimately this leads to greater confidence for new collectors and less potential profit for pure speculators.
    I couldn't agree more - especially TDT.org

Country
    Country Flag

I think Patrick nailed it.

Re: the selling of collections - I'm sure this has nothing to do with a declining market for, or waning interest in King items. I think that many younger collectors (like me) either don't have a true focus in their collection yet, or they have to cope with sudden shifts in the dynamics of their private and professional lives. So large lots of books get sold every now and then, but it's almost never the truly high-end stuff. Those books stay where they are, in the stable collections of people like Bob, David, Mike, Terry and Dave.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I think Patrick nailed it.

Re: the selling of collections - I'm sure this has nothing to do with a declining market for, or waning interest in King items. I think that many younger collectors (like me) either don't have a true focus in their collection yet, or they have to cope with sudden shifts in the dynamics of their private and professional lives. So large lots of books get sold every now and then, but it's almost never the truly high-end stuff. Those books stay where they are, in the stable collections of people like Bob, David, Mike, Terry and Dave.
    Right. Example, when had a matching signed THE PLANT gone up for sale?. Or a S/L NEW LIEUTENANT'S RAP?.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Right. Example, when had a matching signed THE PLANT gone up for sale?.
    2 sets have sold at Betts this year. I bought one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast