Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: What would Roland ultimately choose?

Threaded View

John F. Kennedy Pere Callahan is on a distinguished road Pere Callahan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What would Roland ultimately choose?

There has been much discussion of the fact that Roland saving the beams (and thus the Tower) was only a "means to an end for him". His goal is to climb the tower and question who/whatever might reside at the top. It always comes down to choices for Roland:Save Jake/ catch the Man in Black, Susan vs pursuit of the Tower, go after Susaanah vs. pursuit of the tower, the situation in Tull, etc. Based on his choices, consider this scenario:
    Suppose that just before the battle of Algul Siento, Roland is given a choice: He can enter the Tower and question what resides at the top (assuming someone or something does) immediately if he chooses to forgo the battle. Of course this will lead to the Tower falling. He is guaranteed that this will not happen until his "talk" is concluded. He learns that if he chooses to fight at Blue Heaven, he will not be able to have this talk at the top of the Tower.
    In the end, would Roland choose saving the world or accomplishing his goal? I realize that some will argue "Save the world.....open and shut case" Yet I wonder about this. I think this question gets to the central nature of the gunslinger....if he had to choose between the fate of the world and his questions, what would he do?
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 12-28-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: grammatical errors