Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 723 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 223 623 673 713 721 722 723 724 725 733 773 823 1223 ... LastLast
Results 18,051 to 18,075 of 32427

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing that will really excite you but... yesterday I spent hours browsing into old magazines at the french national library and found 5 essays by werber
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Thanks Amber! In return may I present my own new pride and joy, with thanks to Tippy4!
    Gunslinger 1st/1st !!
    Congratulations! That is a hell of a copy. Looks very nice!
    Also the Copy of Moth, a few pages earlier is absolute crazy.

Congrats to everybody and the new acquisitions.

My personal collection grew on three new beauties - guess you might now them ;D

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Those look like beautiful copies, especially that 'Salem's Lot. Are they all first editions?

Never mind. I just saw in your collection thread that they all are firsts. Congratulations. Super copies.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Those look like beautiful copies, especially that 'Salem's Lot. Are they all first editions?
    Hi Carlos,
    thanks a lot, and yes they are firsts.

The Lot is a First/First 2nd State, and everybody might decide for him/her-self if s/he consider this as a first edition.
    I do.

The other once are out of the question firsts.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    The Lot is a First/First 2nd State, and everybody might decide for him/her-self if s/he consider this as a first edition.
    I do.
    I think everyone (most everyone anyway) would agree that first edition copies of 'Salem's Lot with the second state dust jackets are true first editions.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I do.
    I think everyone (most everyone anyway) would agree that first edition copies of 'Salem's Lot with the second state dust jackets are true first editions.
    Yes otherwise there would be only about 4 people who could claim to have a full set of 1st/1sts!!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

I do.
    Yes otherwise there would be only about 4 people who could claim to have a full set of 1st/1sts!!
    I think we know of 6 or 7 but your point is well taken.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations to all of you folks!!! Awesome new additions!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What is a fine Salems worth with the 1st state dj worth?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I'd say $400-450 approx. depending on condition could be more or less.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I'd say that estimate is a bit on the low side. I know three of the owners of 1st state dust jacket copies and am pretty sure an offer of $25K would be declined. I can't speak for all, of course. Didn't David Aronovitz of Fine Books Company on ABE have one listed at $90K within the past year or so? I'm pretty sure Hutch turned down an offer of $40K several years ago. Times and the economy will have a lot to do with it but I doubt one could be bought very cheaply today.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you really mean the first state dust jacket, the value is in the ten thousand dollar range. If you mean the second state dust jacket (with the price-clipped dust jacket and the $7.95 price) Merlin is in the ball park.

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My bad, I meant the 2nd state. Was typing faster than my eyes!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think even for the 2nd state thats pretty low. Note webstar100 did state "what is a fine salems worth". If anyone wants to sell a fine/fine SL for $400 - $450, please PM me!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

My bad, I meant the 2nd state. Was typing faster than my eyes!!

from my own personal view on this topic, i can say that you will not find a 2nd state fine/fine in this price range. (400-450)
    I would highly grant it to every collector who might find one, but you should not be to disappointed if you don`t ;D

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so I am just trying to learn as I have not any of this particular book yet. The first state was with the $8.95 price that was pulled and replaced with the $7.95 price thus very few out there. A true 1st is really the 2nd state dj right? BUT... there are a few people out there that have them with the 1st State. Is there a 3rd state? Sorry for the questions but I need to know what I should be looking for and what price range... thanks guys
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The VERY rare first state dust jacket is the one with the $8.95 price and Father Cody mention. The second state (and seemingly more common) has the price clipped and a $7.95 price, still with the Father Cody reference. The scarcer third state has a $7.95 price and Father Callahan. All have the First Edition mention on the copyright page of the book.

(I don't know if the first state dust jacket was ever actually released.)

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The VERY rare first state dust jacket is the one with the $8.95 price and Father Cody mention. The second state (and seemingly more common) has the price clipped and a $7.95 price, still with the Father Cody reference. The scarcer third state has a $7.95 price and Father Callahan. All have the First Edition mention on the copyright page of the book.

(I don't know if the first state dust jacket was ever actually released.)

John
    I read somewhere that it was and could fetch a MASSIVE amount. I could be wrong. So the third one is very expensive...?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The way I understand about the first state dust jacket is that someone (Pete Schneider?) discovered them in the trash and recovered a few, thus was never "officially" released. The third state seems fairly scarce but is occasionally available. (I paid a little over $700 for my VG copy back in 2008 off eBay.)

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The way I understand about the first state dust jacket is that someone (Pete Schneider?) discovered them in the trash and recovered a few, thus was never "officially" released. The third state seems fairly scarce but is occasionally available. (I paid a little over $700 for my VG copy back in 2008 off eBay.)

John
    Very cool info. Thanks for the help!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The forum is as always a good source of info. Link to the relevant 1st edition page here

Edit: Personally I would consider the 2nd state the true collectable 1st/1st as the 1st state was never officially sold and the third state was, well, AFTER the 2nd

As I understand the story the book was determined to be too expensive at $8.95. This was determined before the book was actually released. The dust jackets were altered to remove (price-clip) the $8.95 and reprice them at $7.95. According to Peter Schneider there were no books that left Doubleday with intact $8.95 "Father Cody" error dust jackets. Again according to Peter there were not even review copies sent out with the $8.95 price intact. The jackets had not even been put on the books yet when the price change was done.

Some years later Peter was going through some files in the art department at Doubleday and found a folder with "3 or 4" intact dust jackets. These were going to be thrown away (according to Peter) so he kept them as an oddity. These dust jackets are distinguished by having a vertical crease down the center of the spine, an $8.95 price on the inner dj flap and the error referencing Father Cody instead of Father Callahan.

I used to talk and e-mail with Peter frequently many years ago (before he seemingly dropped off the face of the earth) and he is pretty sure that the folder he found contained ""3 or 4" first state dust jackets. So there must be more to the story because I know of at least 6 examples of intact first state dust jackets in the hands of collectors. There are some (and mine is one of these) that have the vertical crease where the rear panel meets the spine rather than directly down the center of the spine. I do not know the source of these jackets unless Peter's memory is faulty and there were more dust jackets in the folder than he remembered.

There are a lot of fables surrounding these jackets. There is one where King (a relative unknown author at the time with little or no clout at Doubleday) was upset at the price of $8.95 and ordered all books to be returned to Doubleday for repricing. This fairy tale would leave room for some books to have escaped into the wild with $8.95 Father Cody intact dj's but is false.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob,
    It never ceases to amaze me with regard to your wealth of knowledge and experience. I would like to suggest a new thread "Listen with Bob" where once a week you post a really cool item and discuss it's history

I know you have covered some things in your collection thread and other threads, but it would be nice to have them all in one place - plus I'm sure you have loads more

Also, the mistake on the inner flap of the dj referencing Father Cody instead of Callahan was known prior to the releasing of the books. Doubleday elected to send most of the books out anyway to keep to the scheduled publication date. The error was later corrected on the later dust jackets so some first edition copies went out later with corrected dj's. These copies have dj's with an unclipped inner flap showing a $7.95 price and the corrected text mentioning Father Callahan.

The three states of dust jackets could be classified as:

1. First printing, first state.........Unclipped inner flap, $8.95 price, Father Cody error

2. First printing, second state......Price clipped inner flap, repriced at $7.95, Father Cody error

3. Second printing.........Unclipped inner flap, $7.95 price, Father Cody error corrected to Father Callahan

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Bob,
    It never ceases to amaze me with regard to your wealth of knowledge and experience. I would like to suggest a new thread "Listen with Bob" where once a week you post a really cool item and discuss it's history

I know you have covered some things in your collection thread and other threads, but it would be nice to have them all in one place - plus I'm sure you have loads more
    +1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 723 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 223 623 673 713 721 722 723 724 725 733 773 823 1223 ... LastLast