Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 989 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 489 889 939 979 987 988 989 990 991 999 1039 1089 ... LastLast
Results 24,701 to 24,725 of 32427

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Wonderful item! Thanks for sharing Gerald. And nice pic in the wave pool.
    Thank you all again for your kind words. I will try to post the last item tomorrow morning from the UK collection. After that I will get to photographing a few new items I got when I returned. They were unexpected and so that makes the joy that much more elevated. Yes Paul, we had fun in the wave pool. I remember my first time in a wave pool and probably I am the only one on this board that knows what I am talking about, but I will share the story anyways.

When I was growing up in New York, my parents used to take me each summer to an adventure park in Vernon, NJ called "Action Park". We used to call it "Traction Park" because you could be certain that at least once a summer you would end up in the emergency room at the local hospital. It was everything that could go wrong with an adventure park, that was actually a real place. You had lifeguards sure, but they were 14 -17 year old children that were more interested in girls and getting drunk (during their shift), to really take the job seriously. The Wave Pool there had many drownings, usually every summer. How, for the life of me, did it stay operational so long is a mystery, but it did, and it made my childhood. I was one of the lucky ones, that actually knew how to swim first. The waves were very big, and being able to swim was not a prerequisite to entering the water. The last year I was in the U.S. there was a drowning the day before I visited. I didn't know this on the day I went, but sure enough, the Wave Pool was back open for business. There were other rides, like the cement slalom cart run down the side of the mountain (guess what happens when you pull the brake on your rapidly accelerating cart, and it does nothing?).

Now, I did notice a few lifeguards at the pool yesterday, and I don't think they were sleeping, but I am not so sure as they were wearing glasses. Needless to say, my boy has his own private lifeguard and he calls him 'daddy'. I have learned the hard way that the only person you can trust when you are at adventure park, is your family.

Okay, that's my story.

Gerald
    Interesting story Gerald. There is a wave pool (water park) near my home in Canada. I went there when I was a kid and the waves kept sucking me out and out.. I was running out of air and passed out. Lifeguards (THANK HEAVENS) were not sleeping and got me JUST IN TIME. I coughed up water and started to breathe again... I am not very nervous of waves and have been my whole life. It can happen in an instant... I was young but it has stuck with me ever since...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I will try to post the last item tomorrow morning from the UK collection.
    I have some ideas about what it may be but I may be completely wrong. Looking forward to it!

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Interesting story Gerald. There is a wave pool (water park) near my home in Canada. I went there when I was a kid and the waves kept sucking me out and out.. I was running out of air and passed out. Lifeguards (THANK HEAVENS) were not sleeping and got me JUST IN TIME. I coughed up water and started to breathe again... I am not very nervous of waves and have been my whole life. It can happen in an instant... I was young but it has stuck with me ever since...
    You were lucky. Thank goodness, this one is not as severe as the one I grew up with, or else I would never let him in at this age. I didn't understand your expression "I am not very nervous of waves and have been my whole life." Are you saying you are not nervous, and still feel the same? Or, are you saying you were not nervous before that, but are now.

Gerald

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I will try to post the last item tomorrow morning from the UK collection.
    I have some ideas about what it may be but I may be completely wrong. Looking forward to it!
    Of all people Michaël, you definitely should know.

G

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You were lucky. Thank goodness, this one is not as severe as the one I grew up with, or else I would never let him in at this age. I didn't understand your expression "I am not very nervous of waves and have been my whole life." Are you saying you are not nervous, and still feel the same? Or, are you saying you were not nervous before that, but are now.

Gerald
    LOL sorry Gerald.. .my bad English... I was NOT nervous of waves until that day.. and have been ever since!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing pieces, Gerald. I think your nickname should be the "King Whisperer." You have an uncanny knack (hard work) for attracting such rare and impossible to find items. Thanks for sharing with us all, as well as the back stories. Congratulations!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Kilmarnock Baths had the first wave machine in 1940. We had great times as kids getting slammed against the concrete steps at the far end. Lots of blood and gore. Those were the days.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Truly wonderful information Gerald as always, I'm sorry your visit to London was such a brief one, it would have been great to meet up.

Is it ok with you if I include some of the information above into the catalog?
    Hi Simon,

Yes it would have been a real pleasure to meet in person, and hopefully if I am back in December, I will try to make it happen. This trip was 2 days only and with the auction, I had only the one day, and that was a real treat trying to circumnavigate the motorways from Stansted. Sure, you can use whatever information you need for the catalog.

Take care.
    Gerald
    Thanks Gerald, I have updated the Catalog and credited you with the information.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The only wave parks I've been to are called the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Gulf of Mexico.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Wonderful item! Thanks for sharing Gerald. And nice pic in the wave pool.
    Thank you all again for your kind words. I will try to post the last item tomorrow morning from the UK collection. After that I will get to photographing a few new items I got when I returned. They were unexpected and so that makes the joy that much more elevated. Yes Paul, we had fun in the wave pool. I remember my first time in a wave pool and probably I am the only one on this board that knows what I am talking about, but I will share the story anyways.

When I was growing up in New York, my parents used to take me each summer to an adventure park in Vernon, NJ called "Action Park". We used to call it "Traction Park" because you could be certain that at least once a summer you would end up in the emergency room at the local hospital. It was everything that could go wrong with an adventure park, that was actually a real place. You had lifeguards sure, but they were 14 -17 year old children that were more interested in girls and getting drunk (during their shift), to really take the job seriously. The Wave Pool there had many drownings, usually every summer. How, for the life of me, did it stay operational so long is a mystery, but it did, and it made my childhood. I was one of the lucky ones, that actually knew how to swim first. The waves were very big, and being able to swim was not a prerequisite to entering the water. The last year I was in the U.S. there was a drowning the day before I visited. I didn't know this on the day I went, but sure enough, the Wave Pool was back open for business. There were other rides, like the cement slalom cart run down the side of the mountain (guess what happens when you pull the brake on your rapidly accelerating cart, and it does nothing?).

Now, I did notice a few lifeguards at the pool yesterday, and I don't think they were sleeping, but I am not so sure as they were wearing glasses. Needless to say, my boy has his own private lifeguard and he calls him 'daddy'. I have learned the hard way that the only person you can trust when you are at adventure park, is your family.

Okay, that's my story.

Gerald

I was there once as a kid with my two brother and two sisters. I remember it was a wild park and my, Dad who had been a lifeguard at Jones Beach was none too thrilled with it. He had to dive in for my little brother in the wave pool while the park life guard was otherwise occupied. After that we settled for the park in, Rye, N.Y. every once in awhile. It wasn't a water park, but it was a little tamer I suppose. Later came, Six Flags and of course, Disney.

Being a life guard at, Jones Beach was no easy feat. There were rigorous tests and such and my, Dad was 6'3" with a 54" chest. Of course that was when we were little. 5 kids and a N.Y. Telephone Co. career later that 54" went mostly to his waist!! LOL LOL Still, he had an iron right arm from years carrying a 100 pd tool box all around Manhattan. I remember one time when my Mom and him got into a heated argument. Now, my father never laid a hand on my, Mom (in fact he worshipped her) but he was a strong man. My Mom got all excited in the argument (probably defending me for some shennanigans!! LOL) and threatened to call my, Grandfather who lived a half block away. Without looking or seeming to think about the act, he reached back, grabbed the telephone and ripped it off the wall and handed it to her to make her call!! LOL LOL This was when a telephone weighed in at 10-12 pds and was securely screwed to the wall. LOL After that, when my, Dad said "come", I came!!! LOL

I recall being recruited to act as the "Go-fer" when he remounted the phone and fixed the wall. He always sent you to the garage for that "Whatucallit" that was crucial to the project, but you really had no clue as to what it actually was, resulting in many re-visits to the garage!! LOL LOL

Anyway, "Traction Park" was an apt name as I recall. LOL It was a heckuva trip from, L.I. to N.J. with no AC in the old station wagon!!! LOL Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Gerald!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thought I'd slip in my side by side 2 out 3 flat signed, slip-cased beauties in the midst of all these amazing P&J's...

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Thought I'd slip in my side by side 2 out 3 flat signed, slip-cased beauties in the midst of all these amazing P&J's...

Dan
    Those look so cool together!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The final item I was lucky enough to obtain recently is the Hodder & Stoughton proof copy of “Pet Sematary”. For years I was under the impression that this proof was never completed in time by Hodder because of a delay in receiving the manuscript from Doubleday in New York. I received this information first-hand from a former Hodder employee that was familiar with Stephen’s works. I took this as golden, but obviously I was wrong.

While I am fairly certain that no review copies made it out in time for the usual suspects that were accustomed to receiving them in advance for their newspaper columns, at least one, if not more, were completed for in-house use.

The original manuscript was used for this proof, as the typeset does not match the font for the first edition. Upon comparison with the First State Doubleday proof, this appears to be very similar in design.

I hope you enjoy.
    Gerald

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow... just wow.

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan

Yes!!! Those look amazing together like that!!! Wish I could lay my hands on a signed MM, but at least I have FK and will hopefully be able to obtain a signed "End of Watch" as well!!!

The final item I was lucky enough to obtain recently is the Hodder & Stoughton proof copy of “Pet Sematary”. For years I was under the impression that this proof was never completed in time by Hodder because of a delay in receiving the manuscript from Doubleday in New York. I received this information first-hand from a former Hodder employee that was familiar with Stephen’s works. I took this as golden, but obviously I was wrong.

While I am fairly certain that no review copies made it out in time for the usual suspects that were accustomed to receiving them in advance for their newspaper columns, at least one, if not more, were completed for in-house use.

The original manuscript was used for this proof, as the typeset does not match the font for the first edition. Upon comparison with the First State Doubleday proof, this appears to be very similar in design.

I hope you enjoy.
    Gerald

Very, very cool Gerald my good man!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I was there once as a kid with my two brother and two sisters. I remember it was a wild park and my, Dad who had been a lifeguard at Jones Beach was none too thrilled with it. He had to dive in for my little brother in the wave pool while the park life guard was otherwise occupied. After that we settled for the park in, Rye, N.Y. every once in awhile. It wasn't a water park, but it was a little tamer I suppose. Later came, Six Flags and of course, Disney.

Being a life guard at, Jones Beach was no easy feat. There were rigorous tests and such and my, Dad was 6'3" with a 54" chest. Of course that was when we were little. 5 kids and a N.Y. Telephone Co. career later that 54" went mostly to his waist!! LOL LOL Still, he had an iron right arm from years carrying a 100 pd tool box all around Manhattan. I remember one time when my Mom and him got into a heated argument. Now, my father never laid a hand on my, Mom (in fact he worshipped her) but he was a strong man. My Mom got all excited in the argument (probably defending me for some shennanigans!! LOL) and threatened to call my, Grandfather who lived a half block away. Without looking or seeming to think about the act, he reached back, grabbed the telephone and ripped it off the wall and handed it to her to make her call!! LOL LOL This was when a telephone weighed in at 10-12 pds and was securely screwed to the wall. LOL After that, when my, Dad said "come", I came!!! LOL

I recall being recruited to act as the "Go-fer" when he remounted the phone and fixed the wall. He always sent you to the garage for that "Whatucallit" that was crucial to the project, but you really had no clue as to what it actually was, resulting in many re-visits to the garage!! LOL LOL

Anyway, "Traction Park" was an apt name as I recall. LOL It was a heckuva trip from, L.I. to N.J. with no AC in the old station wagon!!! LOL Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Gerald!!
    Yes you were there. I think that was the same lifeguard that I had when I was there. We also made the natural progression to Six Flags and that was incredible for a boy from New York City to see a fast moving ride that didn't have MTA written on the side. I think I was in Rye once, but we used to go to the Poconos where we had a little summer home and that was great. 3 months away from the sweltering heat of Manhattan was paradise. Lakes, pools, ohhhhhh.

I loved taking the old Chevrolet Caprice Station Wagon with the faux wood paneling on those trips, but our A/C was working. Maybe your Dad didn't find the Whatchamacallit, but ate it instead. They were a great candy bar.

Gerald

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan
    Looks great Dan. I still haven't found a Mr. Mercedes, but fingers crossed I hope that it happens eventually.

Gerald

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan
    Looks great Dan. I still haven't found a Mr. Mercedes, but fingers crossed I hope that it happens eventually.

Gerald
    Considering your stunning collection, Gerald, I have no doubt a Mr. Mercedes will find you!

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never even heard of that UK proof of Pet Semetary. Amazing!

I'll be adding it to the first post of the Proofs thread momentarily.

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great to see this Gerald! Who knew there was a UK Pet Sematary proof! Quite amazing that after all these years we never knew about it. Congratulations! And of course, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dan, nice MM and FK there! I too am still on the lookout for a signed MM.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you all for your kind words. Up until one week today, I never knew that this proof existed either. While I know there are other proofs that I have never seen before, I always like to think that they may exist, because even when I get word to say otherwise, sometimes that information is incorrect.

You are right Paul. As far as I am aware, the only person that knew a 30 and 40 year old proof existed this long, was the person that has had it in their library since publication. As he doesn't use the Internet, he never knew just how special it was. I am quite sure there are others like him out there.

Take care.
    Gerald

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Another great find, Gerald! And I did secretly hope it would be a UK Pet Sematary proof. Not because I had any inside information, but because that was the only early King book that I could think of that still didn't have a confirmed UK proof state. It looks to be in great shape!

*edit: I just realized I am wrong. Gerald, I will be very disappointed in you if your next pride & joy isn't a UK Bachman Books proof!

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Another great find, Gerald! And I did secretly hope it would be a UK Pet Sematary proof. Not because I had any inside information, but because that was the only early King book that I could think of that still didn't have a confirmed UK proof state. It looks to be in great shape!

*edit: I just realized I am wrong. Gerald, I will be very disappointed in you if your next pride & joy isn't a UK Bachman Books proof!
    I have always had a strong attachment to "Pet Sematary" because I had my own little 'church' incident with my little man, that for all intents and purposes, should have been his final chapter. In Ireland, my house fronts a very busy road and not wishing to go into the gory details, car vs cat doesn't exactly end well for the feline. While 2 vets said he was a lost cause, I was fortunate to find a 3rd (his 'Trinity') that said he could try to save him from visiting the pet sematary.

Needless to say, if you think spinal surgery on humans is costly, try finding a vet that will work on the cheap. Two days after ICU, 3 months of rehabilitation and 6 years later, he is as happy as ever. The tail is a distant memory now, but it only makes him more streamlined. If a cat does have nine lives, I would not venture to guess how many were spent that day. For a black & white domestic short-hair from Ireland, he has walked on Hollywood Boulevard (on a leash), bicycled across the Golden Gate bridge, swam in Phuket, stared with great intensity at a 6 ft. monitor lizard in Bangkok, and ate a mouse in Hong Kong. When I next pick up a paperback of "Pet" I will read a few passages to him at night before bed, so that he can be thankful just how lucky he is.

Gerald

PS: I have absolutely no leads on "Bachman Books". Maybe perhaps in 2025 I will post to the "Pride & Joy" thread.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a cat lover, I'm glad your little fuzzball pulled through!

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me too!
    And congrats on that PS proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 989 of 1298 FirstFirst ... 489 889 939 979 987 988 989 990 991 999 1039 1089 ... LastLast