Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 172 of 267 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172 173 174 182 222 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just gone done with Green Lantern and I have no idea why this movie as bashed so much. It was a good superhero movie. Ryan Reynolds was great in it as was Mark Strong and Michael Clarke Duncan. Seriously why did the critics hate on this movie so much? I don't get it
    If you love me then love me..

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    So I just saw a movie poster for Tintin... is anyone else interested? I seem to be the only person I know who watched this as a kid. I'm a little disappointed it's CGI, although I guess that will save it from having cheesy special effects. I'm really more a fan of traditional animation.
    Every Sunday morning if I recall!!!!

I also remember the "Little Rascals" LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just saw this. Major nerdgasm

http://youtu.be/zatgnqdIefs
    If you love me then love me..

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post
    I just gone done with Green Lantern and I have no idea why this movie as bashed so much. It was a good superhero movie. Ryan Reynolds was great in it as was Mark Strong and Michael Clarke Duncan. Seriously why did the critics hate on this movie so much? I don't get it
    Too complicated and too dry. Not of itself involving; you have to be inclined for the material to begin with in order to find it worthwhile.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ah, so not my cup of tea, then. I've never been that interested by the Green Lantern comics. I'm hoping the new Judge Dredd movie next year won't have the same problem. Mind you, way things are heading, it's looking more and more unlikely that it'll be as good as the source material. Still, who knows, maybe they'll somehow be able to pull the rabbit out of their arses at the last minute. But i doubt it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post
    Too complicated and too dry. Not of itself involving; you have to be inclined for the material to begin with in order to find it worthwhile.
    Yup. Nailed it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've got my fingers crossed that this is just total bullshit like the usual crap, but I think I can sum up my thoughts with 5 words: "Back the FUCK off, Yates!"

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Danielle Steel has been hired to write it.

Spoiler:
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Has anyone else been following the shooting of The Dark Knight Riseson Wall Street?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Who has the Iron Lady movie been written/directed by? Is it an American film? I get that impression because from what I've seen of clips and trailers so far it looks to be very pro Margaret Thatcher, or a fond reminisence of her at least, and to say she was hated in the UK would be an understatement.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fucking hell, I've just seen a trailer and I know what you mean, Lisa! But from what I've read on imdb, it seems to be have been written and directed by Brits. I guess she was only hated by most people in this country! No, but I will admit, from what I have seen, that yank Streep does an amazing job as Thatcher, so no complaints from me there. Sometimes, it's easy to be skeptical when Americans play British roles, especially really famous characters or real people, but as long as the performance is perfect and not like Dick Van Dyke's "cockney" character in Mary Poppins, then I'm all for it.

By the way, Lisa, had much of a chance to watch This Is England yet?

- Melike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Her accent is impeccable, well it's really more an impersonation and it's so spot on!

No, was just wondering whether to watch it now...while I wait for Sam to get off the xbox so I can carry on with skyrim...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Meryl Streep. That woman is freakin' incredible, definitely my favorite actress.

I was watching The Bridges of Madison County over the weekend, starring her and Clint Eastwood. She was amazing, as always.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hunger Games, anyone?

I just looked at the casting and I think it's mostly brilliant. My only two things are that I thought Katniss and Gale should have darker skin, like they are described in the books (although I know how America whitewashes their film casts ) and also, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna? I didn't even know he acted, and he's not what I imagine Cinna to be like, but he might be great anyway. But Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland and Paula Malcomson? Sweet!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahhhh, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss ... dayum

And yes, I can wait to see Woody Harrelson stumble about as that one guardian guy (forgot his name). Should be interesting. Don't know what to make of Lenny Kravitz though.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah when I first heard that Lenny Kravits was cast as Cinna I was kinda like meh. then I saw the trailer. Still wondering about Woody Harrelson playing Haymitch.

http://youtu.be/SMGRhAEn6K0

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think my main problem is I've always seen Lenny Kravitz filled with facial piercings and wearing large sunglasses, where Cinna is supposed to be very unassuming and mild. He looks okay in the trailer, though.

I also foresee a sudden trend in gold eyeliner.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Has anyone heard of the new documentary Room 237. I believe it just premiered at Sundance this past week. It sounds both very intriguing and very crazy at the same time.

Link
    WHEN “The Shining” was released in 1980, many viewers, including the critic Pauline Kael, left theaters mystified by what they had just seen. Expecting a standard frightfest based on a Stephen King best seller, they got an unexplained river of blood surging out of hotel elevators, a vision of cobwebbed skeletons in tuxedos and a weird guy in a bear suit doing something untoward with a top-hatted gentleman.

Three decades on, scholars and fans are still trying to decipher this puzzle of a film directed by Stanley Kubrick. To them it’s only ostensibly about an alcoholic father, Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) going more than stir crazy while his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and son, Danny, try to cope in an isolated hotel, the Overlook. Mr. Kubrick was famously averse to offering explanations of his films — “I have found it always the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself,” he once wrote — which has led to a mind-boggling array of theories about just what he was up to.

The hotel’s hedge maze, many Kubrick authorities agree, is a reference to the myth of the Minotaur; others have drawn convincing connections between the Overlook’s well-stocked pantry and the confectionery cottage in Hansel and Gretel. The more one views the film — and many of these scholars admit to viewing it hundreds of times — the more symbols and connections appear.

“Room 237,” the first full-length documentary by the director Rodney Ascher, examines several of the most intriguing of these theories. It’s really about the Holocaust, one interviewee says, and Mr. Kubrick’s inability to address the horrors of the Final Solution on film. No, it’s about a different genocide, that of American Indians, another says, pointing to all the tribal-theme items adorning the Overlook Hotel’s walls. A third claims it’s really Kubrick’s veiled confession that he helped NASA fake the Apollo Moon landings.

When Mr. Ascher first began discussing the project with his friend Tim Kirk, who would later become the film’s producer, the two were simply hoping to find enough fans and theories to flesh out a series of short films, maybe something to post on YouTube. “On paper it seems like a very specific niche,” Mr. Ascher said, speaking at the oldest standing Bob’s Big Boy, in Burbank, not far from a campus of the New York Film Academy, where he teaches a class in editing. “The Secret Meanings of ‘The Shining’ — we should be able to wrap that up pretty quick. But the thing kept growing and growing.” By the time the two were done, “Room 237,” which had its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Monday, was nearly two hours long.

What they had stumbled upon was a subculture of Kubrick fans that has been expanding over the last several years. The group includes professors and historians, fanboys and artists, many of whom have posted their theories online accompanied by maps, videos, and pages-long explications pleading their cases. The Liverpudlian filmmaker Rob Ager’s video analyses of “The Shining” have garnered hundreds of thousands of YouTube hits; the voluminous online essays of Kevin McLeod, a k a “mstrmnd,” range from the film’s marketing materials to its many uses of artificial light.

“The initial reception by journalists of most of Kubrick’s films was negative,” said the film scholar Julian Rice, author of “Kubrick’s Hope: Discovering Optimism from ‘2001’ to ‘Eyes Wide Shut.’ ” “But as time went on, his films were taken more and more seriously, and now people are redefining him in terms of all of the contemporary postmodern theories. Many of the current critics think in different terms than Kubrick thought when he was making those films. They think in a different vocabulary, and they have different concerns.”

Among the topics of discussion are the many liberties, large and small, that Kubrick took with the original novel. Mr. King, who declined to comment for this article, has never concealed his dislike for the film and the way the director changed and discarded scenes, themes and details. In the book Jack’s Volkswagen is red; in the film it’s yellow. No big thing, until one discovers that King’s red VW actually did make it into the film, crushed underneath an overturned semi.

But that’s not the only kind of symbolic moment “Shining” buffs are interested in; they have much bigger themes in mind. To one of the subjects of “Room 237,” Geoffrey Cocks, a history professor at Albion College in Michigan and author of “The Wolf at the Door: Stanley Kubrick, History, and the Holocaust,” the film is full of references, some subtle, some less so, to the Final Solution. There are the film’s many references to 1942, the year the Nazis began their extermination of Jews at Auschwitz: a 42 appears on a shirt worn by Danny; “Summer of ’42” is playing on the Torrances’ television; Wendy takes 42 swings with a bat at Jack. And then there’s that gusher of blood. “That’s as good a visual metonym for the horror of the 20th century that has ever been filmed,” Mr. Cocks said in an interview.

When Bill Blakemore, a veteran ABC News correspondent and another “Shining” theorist in the documentary, noticed cans of Calumet baking powder emblazoned with an Indian chief logo in “The Shining,” he knew immediately what Kubrick had in mind. “I told my friends, ‘That movie was about the genocide of the American Indians.’ ”

In 1987 Mr. Blakemore wrote an article for The Washington Post, noting the film’s use of Indian decorative elements (in one scene Mr. Nicholson hurls a tennis ball repeatedly against an Indian wall hanging), the Calumet cans and the Overlook’s location on an old Indian burial ground. “It’s about ghosts and memories and how we put together our sense of what has happened in the past,” Mr. Blakemore said in an interview. “ ‘I think a lot of things happened right here in this particular hotel over the years, and not all of ’em was good.’ He’s talking about the way the human race does it, and has done it over and over again.”

The documentary’s biggest leap of faith comes with Jay Weidner, who posits that Mr. Kubrick helped NASA fake the Apollo Moon landings, then used “The Shining” to both confess his involvement — and brag about it. Mr. Weidner is at work on a DVD about the Kubrick-Apollo connection, his second, and cites as evidence a sweater worn by Danny with “Apollo 11” on it, and the hexagonal design on the hotel hallway carpet pattern, which he argues is a dead ringer for the aerial view of the Apollo launching pad. “The entire substory of ‘The Shining,’ ” Mr. Weidner said in an interview, “is the story of Kubrick making the Apollo footage and then trying to hide it from his wife, and then her finding out about it.”

Despite the scope of the film, which uses scenes from the 1940 “Thief of Bagdad,” “Spellbound,” Creepshow” and F. W. Murnau’s silent “Faust” to illustrate different hypotheses, Mr. Ascher said he only scratched the surface of the vast number of “Shining” theories. Why so many? The film “is a compelling work of art that acts as a kind of mirror, especially for thoughtful people, who see aspects of themselves that are among the most precious things they have experienced,” Mr. Rice said. “That’s in the best sense. In some cases it might also be a paranoia that they want to expurgate in some way.”

“Room 237” — the title is a reference to a haunted room in the hotel — ends with no clear consensus on just what “The Shining” actually means. How could it? But there’s no denying the filmmakers had a pretty serious, cerebral bunch to work with.

“This isn’t ‘Trekkies,’ ” said Mr. Kirk, referring to the 1997 documentary about the glorious excesses of “Star Trek” fandom. “We don’t have guys having ‘Shining’ weddings, or driving around in yellow VWs with ‘ROOM 237’ license plates. There were no conventions to go to.”
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I really want to see that now. As for the whole "Holocaust or Native American genocide" thing... why can't it be both?

(Also, I can't ever think "Why not both?" without thinking of that taco commercial with the little girl advertising hard and soft taco shells in the same box. )
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Who has the Iron Lady movie been written/directed by? Is it an American film? I get that impression because from what I've seen of clips and trailers so far it looks to be very pro Margaret Thatcher, or a fond reminisence of her at least, and to say she was hated in the UK would be an understatement.
    From what I have read/heard its not supposed to be that factual? Very 'Thatcher is a poor little lady in the midst of the bad men of politics' to be honest what most puts me off though, is the back half of the film is supposed to portray her falling in Alzheimer's - which is supposed to be pure fiction (not her getting it, but the story around it)

I am only going off rumour and second hand stories here, but I have a feeling not a lot of people in the UK will really want to watch this.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just bought tickets for the 2012 AMC Best Picture Showcase.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No theaters around me are showing The Iron Lady. Damn.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Some pictures of my paraphernalia from Day 2 of AMC's Best Picture Showcase yesterday. I can't recommend this event enough. If there's ever a location near you: GO!

Pass Front/Back with Nominees Booklet:

Some sample pages:

2012 BP Nominees Poster:

Can't wait until next year!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I just watched Akira for the first time (I know, I have no idea how I never saw it before). All I can say is... what the fuck? I have no idea what kind of thought processes led to that movie. Even more, I am astounded that they want to make a live-action version. How would it even be possible? All I can see in my mind is terrible CGI everywhere. (Not to mention the horrible "actors" they keep picking to play the leads.) I hope that project gets shelved permanently.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    I just watched Akira for the first time (I know, I have no idea how I never saw it before). All I can say is... what the fuck? I have no idea what kind of thought processes led to that movie...
    Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 172 of 267 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172 173 174 182 222 ... LastLast