Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 267 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I just came back from watching The Baader Meinhof Complex at The Angelika, and was very impressed. It runs to almost two and a half hours, but is worth it, trust me!

Here's the trailer, for those of you who are interested:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVKAAsqcrI"]YouTube - Baader Meinhof Complex Trailer[/ame]

It's somewhat similar to Buongiorno, Notte, only it focuses on the Red Army Faction, and not the Red Brigades in Italy. It's also more of a panoramic film, and there's much more overt violence. The first half-hour or so is almost comically brutal.

I want to ask some of the European forum members about a particular scene in this movie. When two of the conspirators from the second wave of Baader-Meinhof are being transported to meet a PFLP leader in Baghdad, they're listening to this blood-curdling sermon on the car radio, which I think is from the Sunni imam you see in those pre-Iraq war clips in films like "Obsession" or "Fitna."

Did they use that audio, or am I imagining things?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    M. Night Shyamalan is making a live action version of Avatar:The Last Airbender. could be interesting. only thing that makes me anxious is the fact that it comes out next year.
    This is just a personal opinion but, anything that guy touches turns to crap. How he continues to get money from studios amazes me. Even the "Sixth Sense" wasn't as great as everyone cracked it up to be. I mean he is not the first director to have a twist in the ending.

I'm sorry I just don't get this guy. Maybe I'm (as Andy from Shawshank says) Obtuse!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone planning on seeing this:

http://www.jennifersbody.com/

I would give it a shot if I didn't totally despise Megan Fox.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Is anyone planning on seeing this:

http://www.jennifersbody.com/

I would give it a shot if I didn't totally despise Megan Fox.
    Looks kinda hip, creepy and deliciously gross in a "Scream" kinda way LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    M. Night Shyamalan is making a live action version of Avatar:The Last Airbender. could be interesting. only thing that makes me anxious is the fact that it comes out next year.
    This is just a personal opinion but, anything that guy touches turns to crap. How he continues to get money from studios amazes me. Even the "Sixth Sense" wasn't as great as everyone cracked it up to be. I mean he is not the first director to have a twist in the ending.

I'm sorry I just don't get this guy. Maybe I'm (as Andy from Shawshank says) Obtuse!!! lol lol

I will say only this: take ANY of the great films in all of movie history, watch them with a keen eye and open heart and mind. Now realize that if Shyamalan even WATCHES that movie it will be worse. This guy is the Black Plague of filmdom. If he THINKS about a film you're making the quality of the end product diminishes.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the rest of you re: Schmaylan.

I watched ten minutes of The Sixth Sense, and the only thing that I could think of was, "what's with the hype?" I'm sure his other movies sucked as well.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I agree with the rest of you re: Schmaylan.

I watched ten minutes of The Sixth Sense, and the only thing that I could think of was, "what's with the hype?" I'm sure his other movies sucked as well.
    OMG consider your self lucky then to have never seen the "Village" what a steaming pile of manure that was. Any studio exec who even considers him should not only be fired but shot on sight.

Well said Brice!!!!

On a brighter note: just got back from seeing QT's "Inglorious Basterds" great film-making and a great film!!! Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz were spectacular!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Wow. So much animosity toward M. Night. I've only seen two of his movies--The Village and Lady in the Water--though I did enjoy both. I was a little disappointed with The Village at first, due to it being advertised as a horror film. With the Lady in the Water, I pretty much started watching it expecting it to be crappy. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.

I've seen the teaser for The Last Airbender, and I'll say this: I bet it'll be more of the Dragonball movie than Dragonball: Evolution was.

EDIT: Just watched that trailed for Avatar and wow! It looks like an interesting blend of science fiction and fantasy. I'll definitely be seeing that one. I can't believe people were seriously disappointed with the trailer.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ruthful, The Sixth Sense was his magnum opus. With this film Shyamalan ascended to the stellar heights of mediocrity. I expect it's the pinnacle of his career and somewhat equivalent oddswise to you or I winning the lottery a hundred times in a row. If you picked 100 people randomly to make a movie 99 of those movies would be more watchable than his, but in case you haven't guessed I sort of like bashing him a little. My honest opinion is most of what he does isn't even worthy of comment or watching.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Inglourious Basterds

I saw the Inglourious Basterds last night. First let me preface this review by saying that I'm a huge fan of QT and I've been waiting for this film for years.

For those of you who don't care to read the whole review I will say that it was a great film. A triumph of film making by one of the greatest modern American directors.

That being said there were some disappointments here for me. First of all let me say that I am not a sadistic person. I am not a violent person. When I see a spider in the house, I capture him in a paper cup and release him outside.

This is why it might sound weird for me to say that there wasn't enough violence in this for me. I guess I just had the wrong impression going in. I thought there would be a lot more scenes with the Basterds being bastards.

There are many scenes (especially towards the beginning) that don't even have any of the Basterds in them. Some of these scenes are long and very dialogue heavy with a ton of subtitles, which doesn't bother me.

The only problem is that while sitting through those scenes I just wanted to see some Nazis getting killed. Now don't get me wrong, these scenes are dripping with tension and when the shit hits the fan, it's quick, violent, satisfying and perfect.

I also would have liked to learn a little bit more about the Basterds. We really only know 3 of them and of those 3 we really only see back story for Hugo (which is sweet by the way.) I want to know about the Bear Jew and why he uses a baseball bat. Was he a failed minor league player who went crazy and hit an ump? How did Aldo get that scar around his neck? Why is he qualified to lead the Basterds?

I just feel that for a film that is called the Inglorious Basterds, we really didn't get to meet a lot of them.

Anyway, I had a great time watching this film. I think I just thought it was going to be different. There are some great performances here by Pitt and Waltz (who's sure to get an Oscar Nom) as well as some strong supporting performances. I think the story is pretty tight, but certain scenes might have called for a little more editing.

Overall, if you are a fan of QT, then The Basterds is right up your alley. Just don't go in thinking you are going to get non stop Nazi killing action.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The director for 28 weeks later is supposed to be directing the live action version of Bioshock. will just have to wonder what that is going to be like.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really hoping they do it right.

There is so much material from Rapture that will translate to film seamlessly.

That reminds me, I kind of hope they call the film Rapture. I feel that calling it Bioshock might alienate a huge part of their audience that thinks it's just some silly video game.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

A Random question popped back into my head, one I've asked others before, but most have no answer. This is regarding the film Night of the Living Dead:
    Spoiler:
    At the end of the film, when they're mopping up the zombie horde, one of the men sees something in the window, and shoots, killing Ben. What I've always wondered, considering the nature of the film, is do you think the man knew Ben wasn't a zombie? Did he just see a black man and shoot anyways?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    A Random question popped back into my head, one I've asked others before, but most have no answer. This is regarding the film Night of the Living Dead:
    Spoiler:
    At the end of the film, when they're mopping up the zombie horde, one of the men sees something in the window, and shoots, killing Ben. What I've always wondered, considering the nature of the film, is do you think the man knew Ben wasn't a zombie? Did he just see a black man and shoot anyways?
    I think that that very question was intentionally left unanswered by the Director for each viewer to discuss and answer his/her self. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally watched RocknRolla yesterday.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You liked it!?!?

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess.
    It was pretty okay and I had nothing better to do.
    But I'm very biased.

...Tom Wilkinson.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton was the snize.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Going to see this at The Angelika tomorrow:

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

The director for 28 weeks later is supposed to be directing the live action version of Bioshock. will just have to wonder what that is going to be like.
    O_O Really??

I adore that game...one of my top favorites of all time...I've always said it would make an amazing movie.

And I agree, the name "Rapture" would be an excellent title.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Saw The Final Destination today. I admit, I like the series, despite the fact that each film is basically a repeat of the first one, only with nastier and sicker deaths, but I just had to see it...in 3D! If you go in without any expectations and just want to see people dieing in increasingly nasty ways (in 3D!) like I did, then you just might enjoy it.

And for a real example of how trashy this film is...
    Spoiler:
    It quite possibly has the worst example of anal leakage in the history of film. People who've seen it, you'll know what i'm talking about!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw "Big Fan" a few hours ago, and loved it!

Even if you're not interested in football, you should check it out. If for no other reason, then simply to watch the final five minutes of the film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm jealous. I want to see Big Fan so bad.

Lars and the Real Girl

It's unfortunate that Lars and the Real Girl was probably dismissed as some raunchy comedy about a boy and his sex doll. One might be led to believe that's all this film is about after watching the trailer or reading the back of the DVD case.

Lars is way more than that. In fact, Lars never even has sex with the doll. The film is more about loneliness, compassion, and mental illness.

One criticism for the film might be that it's a little unrealistic to believe the whole town would play along with a man's mental delusions, but Ryan Gosling is so believable, that you can't help but play along.

Ryan Gosling really shines here. He's one of my favorite actors around right now. The rest of the cast is spot on. Paul Schneider is perfect as Lars' brother. He reacts to Lars like most of us would, with embarrassment, disgust and sadness. Emily Mortimer does a nice job as Lars' sister-in-law who is determined to help Lars in any way possible. Unlike her husband, her devotion for Lars never wavers.

Another bright spot is Kelli Garner who plays Lars' co-worker, who's in love with Lars despite the fact that he's in love with a fake doll. She's an actress to keep an eye on.

Overall, Lars and the Real Girl is an original film that could have been a horrible, raunchy train wreck. Instead, it delivers a compassionate film with strong performance all around.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Lars and the Real Girl
    I really enjoyed that one as well. Considering it's a film about a guy who's in love with a blow-up doll, it could have drastically gone in the wrong direction, but like you said it's so much more than that. Ryan was amazing it that role, that you really feel for his character. It's probably one of the more unique films I've seen in the past few years.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Heather, you and I have a really high movie compatibility I think. My twin sister doesn't even like most of the movies I like.

Then again, we couldn't be more different in a lot of ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 267 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 216 ... LastLast