Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 102 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Film Universe

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Only 4th, feev? You've dissapointed me!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've seen it twice in the theater. I think that'll be it until the DVD release (sometime in December, I'm betting).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Only 4th, feev? You've dissapointed me!
    Hey, what can I say? Money has been tight this year

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I found some concept art for Bane's mask. Some of them are truly terrifying.

http://screencrush.com/bane-dark-kni...s-concept-art/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the finished product, that other version is too reminiscent of the Gimp from Pulp Fiction

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I like the finished product, that other version is too reminiscent of the Gimp from Pulp Fiction
    LOL 100% agree with you on that one!!! LOL

It would have been pretty fucking far from alright!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Saw that. While many of these are of course merely humorous nitpicks, others were pretty major ones that stopped it from being my favourite of the trilogy. Particularly the nuclear bomb aspect. "We didn't die in the blast, but the radiation will certainly kill us! Hooray!"

- Melike

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

A few of these actually make sense, most are arbitrary or just BS.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Saw that. While many of these are of course merely humorous nitpicks, others were pretty major ones that stopped it from being my favourite of the trilogy. Particularly the nuclear bomb aspect. "We didn't die in the blast, but the radiation will certainly kill us! Hooray!"
    You know its funny, but whilst watching the film I thought the exact same thing!!! No way that bomb was far enough out to sea to save them. Then again, it is "Hollywood"!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Then again, it is "Hollywood"!! LOL LOL
    And isn't that the problem? By a lot of Hollywood films, something like that isn't that bad, but this is Nolan! The man who pretty much set the standard for realism in superhero movies! Kinda expected better from the guy than "Hollywood logic"! Oh well, maybe I'm being too harsh because The Dark Knight was the greatest comic book movie ever (still need to watch the blu-ray of that, actually). As a closing act of a trilogy, as a character study, as an examination of society and different classes, of hope, and of how continually fucking awesome Gary Oldman is, Rises was great. Imo, it was just the basic story that needed working on and tightening up, really.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with everything you said, James (and don't think that you're being too harsh). The bomb was a definite, non-creative plot device, so I expected much more from Nolan in that regard.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I hated that stupid bomb plot device. I too expected better from Nolan.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I just saw this movie... DH got it for Christmas.

I must say I did not enjoy it... Maybe nothing will be better than the last Dark Knight was for me. It just wasn't even in the same league as the previous one.

And I have to be honest... I still have not decided if I even like Christian Bale other than he is nice to ogle!

*ducks*
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You didn't like it at all? No redeeming factors?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I don't know what to say... I WANTED to like it!

I liked the beginning... The plane scene. I wanted there to be more action the whole way through, I guess. I liked the ending with Alfred... A little cheesy, but hey, that's OK. And they did a good job with Catwoman, I liked her very much.

Just didn't find Bane that scary... The Joker was worse, IMO... And I just loved that movie so much that nothing will compare. I wanted more, I guess.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It sounds like your expectations were just way too high, but I couldn't blame you really.

Despite it being very rough around the edges I still enjoyed it immensely. Some clumsy decisions sure (the bomb), but the overarching themes and the fulcrum of Bruce Wayne's story still make it a great film.

The Joker is one of the greatest film villains of all time, but Bane is by no means a slouch. Joker might have blown up a few places but Bane brought the entire city to it's knees. He also bested Batman on a 1 vs 1 fight, and the way he toys with him make him sadistically fun to watch. Sometimes I watch it and I still can't believe it's Hardy under that mask.

I think you are right... After the last one, this one had a lot to live up to!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

fyi - I watched it again last night.

We are working our way through again.... Will be watching The Dark Knight Rises tonight!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! Now that your expectations are in check, you'll be surprised at how much you enjoy it.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Now that I've had a chance to see this a couple of times, my thoughts on Bane. Its all off the cuff, so I might ramble a bit; the context is a thread where the OP wanted to know why Bane wasn't a ripoff of Ra's Al Ghul:

Ra's was sincere at the League's mission: maintaining balance through burning out corruption. His relationship to Bane is that of a savior to a victim. Similar to Bane's relationship to young Talia. We know Ra's threw Bane out because he reminded Ra's of the hell hole where his wife was killed.

Everything Bane presents us in the film indicates that Talia allowed him to take leadership of the League of Shadows so long as she could complete Ra's work. Recall Bane's "I am the League of Shadows." line. Also from the first Bane vs Batman fight, recall Bane's dialogue with Bruce about betraying the League. Now, look at each character's situation. They are remarkably similar. Both were rescued by Ra's. Both were given training. Only Bruce was chosen as Ra's successor. Bane was cast out by Ra's.

Bane's apparent disgust at Bruce throwing away the position he was offered by Ra's, taken with the aforementioned dialogue from the sewer fight indicate that Bane simply wanted to prove himself the better man than Bruce. The worthy successor, if you will. This is furthered when Bane uses Gordon's speech to set himself up as a symbol for those oppressed by the Dent Act (also by giving them leave to take back their city, giving its citizens what was rightfully theirs); its very much like Batman setting himself up as a symbol for those oppressed by the mob's grip on Gotham prior to and during Batman Begins.

Bane shared the jacket-grip mannerism with Ra's. Recall that Ra's plan involved spreading fear gas throughout Gotham, leaving the drugged citizens to tear their city down. Bane never gassed the citizens. Bane never forced them to rise up against the others in the city they believed to be their oppressors. He simply presented them with the means to do so. Bane allowed Gotham to show the world how depraved it could be*; the citizens and freed prisoners did so of their own volition. This allowed Talia a sort of innocence in passing judgment on Gotham; after all wouldn't the city and its people be better off dead? The prisoners and the others whose rose up would be dealt with; the families they tore apart and the people they wounded would be put out of their misery.

By allowing the people to effectively be their own executioners, Bane managed to triumph over Ra's who would've relied on an outside agent--the fear gas--to initiate Gotham's destruction. At the beginning of the second act (I count the 2nd act as everything after Bane breaks the Batman, up until Bruce rises from the Pit triumphant) Bane has proven himself superior to Batman. Midway into the second act he has one-upped Ra's overarching goal of destroying Gotham.

The difference between Ra's and Bane lies in their conviction. Ra's truly loved his wife and was trying to numb the pain of her death. Bane wanted to prove himself the worth successor to the League of Shadows and repay Talia's kindness (returning with the League to rescue him from the Pit) by helping her exact vengeance for Ra's death. Ra's Al Ghul wanted revenge for his wife's death. Bane sought apotheosis. Ironically its the Batman who achieves this through ensuring that the bomb didn't level Gotham.

The above is based on the dialogue and everything we're given in TDKR (the stuff for Bane and Talia, with some of Ra's. Ra's motive for being in the LoS is, of course, covered in BB).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 102 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast