Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Richard Scarry when I was reeeeeally little
    I used to love his books when I was really little. I remember we had this one that had a little bug on every single page. I can't even tell you how many times me and my sister would flip thru that book trying to be the first one to find that bug.
    Yes, Goldbug! I used to love finding him as well. I suppose he was our generation's Waldo.
    Yep, I remember looking for Goldbug all the time.

I also remember looking for Waldo, though.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    what about those books that taught manners? like how to share and be polite.. i had a few of those and when i was working in a daycare last summer they had some and it brought so many fond memories.
    I remember a set of books my grandma had by Joy Wilt Berry. It was called the Survival Series for kids, and it covered topics from manners to first aid to hygeine to how to get a good night's rest, etc. They were humorous, had fun illustrations, etc. I read them willingly.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Bear, Your Manners Are Showing.

is there really something about bears? or was it only a figure of speech for the title?!

i tried to find an image of it. it's really about a mama bear trying to teach/reteach her baby bear manners.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

then Tiffany should totally add it to this list! If she doesn't some time soon, I'll do it myself.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the tales of Brare Rabit, and The Animals Of Farthing Wood.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Traveler JiMiTHiNG is on a distinguished road

Narnia series, Dark Rising series, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, The Giver, Hatchet, A Wrinkle in Time series, John Christopher's Tripod series, and a ton more I can't think of right now..

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JiMiTHiNG View Post
    A Wrinkle in Time series
    Oh yes! I forgot about those books! We read the first one for English in 6th grade and I, being the huge book nerd that I am, went on to read the next three.
    Actually, I should re-read them now that I would understand the "science" behind them a bit better. And I think there's five now?
    Off to amazon.com...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I read everything (I think) by Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume and Bill Wallace. I especially liked Trapped in Death Cave, and A dog called Kitty by Bill Wallace. I also enjoyed Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller. Also favorites were Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein. Where the Sidewalk ends is the book I read the most to my 10 month old twin girls. Something about alliteration grabs their attention.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Peanuts AKA Charlie Brown books.
    Berenstein Bears books
    Beezus & Ramona books.
    Golden books - I had a ton of these.
    The "Soup" books by Robert Newton Peck. (Soup and Me, Soup for President)
    Encyclopedia Brown books
    The Secret Life of the Underwear Champ
    Eating Ice Cream with a Werewolf.

What's funny is I still have most of these. I just introduced my middle daughter to the Beezus and Ramona line of books because she has to read a certain number of books each month for school and they are on her list of "approved" books.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the Beezus and Ramona Books. The Henry and Ribsy books and the Mouse and the Motorcycle books were also good.

My Mood
    Dead

I can't believe I forgot Calvin and Hobbes. All of them.

Also, I just found my copy of The Dark Is Rising, which was my favorite one out of the five books in the series. I totally read it over Christmas break when I was back home.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Forgive me if this has been posted before but:

This book was SO cash. I must have demanded that it be read to me as a bedtime story at least over 9000 times. ^_^

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Boxcar Children, 2nd grade, taught by Mrs. Burge, a gunslinger, missing two fingers from her right hand, some kind of sewing machine ate them...The Buffalo Knife...same age...and we had these books we called Little Big Books, a kind of comic in a small thick package, inch-thick, and I recall Space Ghost in one, maybe Johnny Quest in another...don't see them anymore...maybe on E-bay...they were little, maybe 4x5 and thick, comic-style.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Good call. I would've mentioned them but I discovered C&H later in life.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Good call. I would've mentioned them but I discovered C&H later in life.
    I associate it with my teens. Still good though. I loved Calvin & Hobbes. Bloom County too while we're on the subject of comic strips from that era.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Calvin and Hobbes but didn't appreciate the humor until my teens.
    My favorite book as a child was The Grand Escape by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. It's about two house cats who escape and explore the world. I was obsessed with it when I read it int he 4th grade, in fact I doubt I would love adventure books as much as I do now if I hadn't read it then.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the Hobbit and the The Jack Henry Books by Jack Gantos
    also Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I probably read all of the Goosebumps that came out for a couple of years on end...I'm sure they're still out in my garage somewhere...

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite Dr. Seuss book was always:

and I also loved:

I still have and read both every once in a while

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Silver crown

Maniac Magee

Sideways stories from wayside school

edit: I forgot about the giver!

Traveler necromanticize is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Where the Wild Things Are :]
    That was the very first book I learned to read.
    I also really loved these historical diaries about girls from different eras... as well as American Girl books and anything scary I could get my hands on. I read a whole lot when I was younger, so I can't remember everything. I read a lot of Babysitter's Club as well. There were a lot of series I was into... Little House on the Prairie...Nancy Drew... I was quite the reader as a kid.

Traveler college_ewok is on a distinguished road college_ewok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read all of the goose bumps books too.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Goosebumps is what got me into reading

Traveler college_ewok is on a distinguished road college_ewok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Goosebumps is what got me into reading
    Same here. I never really read until I read one of the goosebumps books, then I couldn't stop reading.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    When I was in the "tween" age, I really dug The Hardy Boys.

Ditto
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Kilgore Trout valtr0n is on a distinguished road valtr0n's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I was really little, my favorite book was Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby. It's a completely racist book, but when I was little I thought it was the bomb.

I started reading The Gunslinger when I was 12 or 13, so that'd probably have been my favorite "adolescent" book.

Don't you get it?! We are the walking dead! We are the walking dead...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast