Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Tony. I can see your side and I can see WDIL's side. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon when a lot of people have had bad dealings with this guy, but I don't think yours was too bad.

Asking questions about the item isn't bad IF IT GOES SOMEWHERE. Can you imagine being a bookseller and getting asked about Stephen King first edition identifiers?

"Hi, yeah, please check that it has $5.95 on the inside dust jacket flap, that it has black pastedowns, that it says "First Edition" clearly on the copyright page, and that it has P6 in the gutter on page 199. But don't spread the book too far apart to see it, open it gently."

If you're not used to checking that kind of stuff out, it can seem like the buyer is annoying. But we're just getting the right info before we buy it, that's all we're doing.

Anyway, with the buyer in question, he's a pain but I don't think he's screwed anyone over yet, has he? Anyone?

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

WeDealInLead: Perhaps I should have reacted the same way he did when he tried to buy it for $30 less than I listed right? I should have accused him of trying to play me?

The reason this is here is because it's not the first time that this particular person wastes other people's time on these forums when trying to buy anything. I want to make sure that it doesn't happen to others. I'd rather keep the darned book than to sell it for what I think is less than it's worth to me. This isn't Pawn Stars and it's not Let's Make A Deal.

EDIT: I think the part that gets to me is that we're all part of a small community here with mutual respect for each other and I think that kind of haggling is more suited for when you're buying from a dealer.

I offered it at a very specific price, if he can't afford it then that's fine but my time shouldn't be wasted with having to deal with offers that are 17% below that I'm asking for.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

FYI, I moved the posts over to this thread.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I kinda agree with WeDealInLead on this one. No harm in trying to negotiate a book to a proce you are happy with, and international buyers need to see what shipping options are available cos the default option is just sooo high sometimes.

If you get annoyed about someone haggling (even if it isn't done in the best manner), walk away and stop replying to messages. He can only waste your time if you let him. If your price is firm and you don' want to get in to a negotiation, say so on your listing. As long as a buyer doesn't agree to a sale and then muck you around and pull out, no harm with a few messages trying to come to an agreement.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

So let's cut all this namby-pamby tip-toeing around and say who it is.

We all know it is The Langoleer, so just say it already. The whole point of this thread is to spotlight annoying buyers, in an effort to possibly prevent fellow sellers from having the same issues you have had.

If I am incorrect, I will apologize to The Langoleer and buy him a Coke, but I doubt I will be issueing that apology, and odds are I'll be drinking that Coke myself.

No, there is no harm in negotiating, but for fuck's sake, do it all in one email, stop asking 1,000 fucking questions, stop asking questions that have already been answed in the original posting, stop low-balling everybody, and while YOU may have unlimited free time, you need to learn that most people do not.

I used to deal with people like this all the time on Craig's List or The Recycler. Some people just get off on haggling and low balling offers on shit they don't even intend to buy. And after dozens of emails or phone calls, I've actually had to tell people to stop calling me or I just lie and tell them the item was sold just so they would leave me the fuck alone!

Now, if you will excuse me, clearly it is time to switch to de-caf.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

OK....that made my night....

I needed that. Now back to the clothes closet, I think I owe some shirts to members here.......

where did I put that orange/pink shirt that takes double AA batteries.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

While I don't agree with Tippy's thoughts on negotiating, I do totally agree on calling out The Langloeer! LOL
    I don't think you'll need to buy him a coke either....

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I did this five different times with this joker, spent hours, yes hours taking pictures of each book/item he wanted. He Negotiated, emailed, negotiated, emailed, etc. completely disappeared leaving me wondering if he wanted the item, came back, ask, we did agree on $450 right? It wasn't what we agreed on but I decided to take it because I need the $ to put towards another book. I gave him my Paypal.......NOTHING...........He disappeared again.

With that being said. I do agree with Rick on his post. No Coke needed, you hit it on the head.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even though he may try to haggle someone in hell out of a glass of water..There are still some members here that has done worse, and I dont feel like even bringing it up..but lying is one thing.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

We all know it is The Langoleer, so just say it already. The whole point of this thread is to spotlight annoying buyers, in an effort to possibly prevent fellow sellers from having the same issues you have had.

If I am incorrect, I will apologize to The Langoleer and buy him a Coke, but I doubt I will be issueing that apology, and odds are I'll be drinking that Coke myself.

No, there is no harm in negotiating, but for fuck's sake, do it all in one email, stop asking 1,000 fucking questions, stop asking questions that have already been answed in the original posting, stop low-balling everybody, and while YOU may have unlimited free time, you need to learn that most people do not.

I used to deal with people like this all the time on Craig's List or The Recycler. Some people just get off on haggling and low balling offers on shit they don't even intend to buy. And after dozens of emails or phone calls, I've actually had to tell people to stop calling me or I just lie and tell them the item was sold just so they would leave me the fuck alone!

Just need this quoted for posterity.
    Epic post. Agree or disagree, there was no bullshit.
    tippy4 gets reputation points for this.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this clarifies that any member/Collector here, that relies on a "Community", should state a price for the member-and I would suggest nothing else, accept or don't. I know the international shipping issue changes things a bit, and I myself will be more careful to state in advance that my shipping is USA-AND that international is by quote; but quite expensive.
    I would guess that our member to member satisfaction for completed transactions is very high.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killbourne View Post
    Even though he may try to haggle someone in hell out of a glass of water..There are still some members here that has done worse, and I dont feel like even bringing it up..but lying is one thing.
    I'm not sure the member "lied".
    Hey its was back and forth, but any member here who sells should be aware in the future that there is the possibility that there will be a significant amount of haggling, and delay.
    One response is needed:
    '"$x" price, Paypal (regular or gift, clarify in advance) within 24 hours.
    We all have to make/or save a "buck", or receive a "value", but this quibbling over <$25; 10% of item cost seems like a waste of time.
    Fuck, what was the item-? I'll make you a deal!

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

I'm going to defend myself here for once. I just sold off a huge part of my collection. That being said I was looking to update it. IF THE PRICE IS FIRM THEN STATE IT. So I offered you slightly lower than what you wanted - tell me no straight up and name your damn price.

Also - I apologize for my transgressions on the boards earlier, I knew I was wrong for asking around and I made a mistake. Mulleins, sorry I contracted pneumonia and was hospitalized - they don't exactly allow computers or phones in the ICU. We did agree on 450 I have the emails and messages still to prove it, but we all know those can be manipulated so why bother.

If you guys have a beef with me why don't you talk to David at betts, or Brian at CD or hell even my eBay feedback which is 100 percent as a buyer and seller. SGC and I have an ongoing deal as well beginning this Friday. I made one damn mistake on here and I'm getting reamed for it. If you don't want to take the time to discuss, take pictures of,and try to sell your books then why place an advertisement in the first place?

On a side note - RF we did get off track in our discussion

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killbourne View Post
    I'm not sure the member "lied".
    Hey its was back and forth, but any member here who sells should be aware in the future that there is the possibility that there will be a significant amount of haggling, and delay.
    One response is needed:
    '"$x" price, Paypal (regular or gift, clarify in advance) within 24 hours.
    We all have to make/or save a "buck", or receive a "value", but this quibbling over <$25; 10% of item cost seems like a waste of time.
    Fuck, what was the item-? I'll make you a deal!
    Oh, my comment is confusing..sorry, I was rushing out the door. I didnt mean to imply that the member in question was lying.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

We are forgetting my pink polo for Breast cancer month(Oct.)...hehe
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

Just need this quoted for posterity.
    Epic post. Agree or disagree, there was no bullshit.
    tippy4 gets reputation points for this.
    lol, I agree. It got a laugh out of me for sure.

This site and the sales threads within are much different than eBay and I think people would be best to recognize that truth.
    For the most part, items listed here are assumed to be As New unless otherwise noted. Pictures and all the other hassles are unnecessary because there are images of said items in the catalog. The only reason images are really needed are for things like remarques, damages to an item, and special or non-typical aspects of an item etc.

Personally I don't like to be bothered with haggling or asked to do extra work (pictures etc.) for no reason. If someone's going to lowball an offer--fine--but it better be a serious offer--and if I accept said offer and then the person backs out I'm going to be annoyed. Dealing with that person in the future will be unlikely.

Most things for sale here are typically less than on eBay because sellers know they are avoiding seller fees from ebay and paypal, so they're already lowball prices. So I can see why lowball offers are thought badly of--though I don't mind them myself. Buyers should try to pay as little as possible for something--economically speaking--but at the cost of possibly irritating members? Maybe wise and maybe not.
    I really like ebay's Make an Offer system. If I don't like it I can decline it, ignore it, or submit a counteroffer and all I see are numbers. I don't have to talk to the person. Here, I think people feel an obligation to send a reply as this is more of a community of real people and that obligation of replying to a low offer can be annoying.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I will say that buying and selling here is safer than most realize. Get it right or get called out, then fix it. If not it seems that your integrity/rights here are lost. I have bought from almost all members here and consider it a privilege to shop and sell here, not worth losing on any one or few purchases. We as a group do a very good(not always fair, but just) job of policing each other and to me my fellow members are not just posters, but friends and collegies(who spell better than I). The "accused" must have gotten a couple things right or he would be gone. Learning from mistakes or treading on toes, sadly can be part of the process. The key word is always...
    OCTOPUS
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I rarely ever sell anything, so I had no idea which member was being discussed until he was called out.

It seems like this thread has evolved from serious financial concerns to annoyances and time wasters. Should it be renamed, "Annoying buyers," (or some such) rather than "...avoid like the Plague?" Honest question because the thread title connotes an awfully serious charge.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Thelangoleer View Post
    IF THE PRICE IS FIRM THEN STATE IT. So I offered you slightly lower than what you wanted - tell me no straight up and name your damn price.
    I don't think anybody here has an issue with you making an offer, but THAT in combination with the large number of emails and failure to follow through makes your haggling all the more annoying. Furthermore, Tony's post states you made an offer of $150 for a book he was asking $180, and he declined. Then, you made ANOTHER attempt by trying to get him to cut his shipping price in half. So in this instance, he did EXACTLY as you requested above, told you NO, and yet you STILL kept badgering him on price.

Mulleins, sorry I contracted pneumonia and was hospitalized - they don't exactly allow computers or phones in the ICU. We did agree on 450 I have the emails and messages still to prove it, but we all know those can be manipulated so why bother.
    It is unfortunate that you were ill, but let me ask you this...when you were better did you go back to work? Did you pay your utility bills? Of course you did, so why did you not take care of your obligation to pay Mulleins or at least contact him to explain your situation? Ralph is a nice guy, and I have no doubt he would have understood.

If you guys have a beef with me why don't you talk to David at betts, or Brian at CD or hell even my eBay feedback which is 100 percent as a buyer and seller.
    Neither of those guys are going to say a word, because they are running a business, and it is bad-business to complain about your customers, even if you want to.

I made one damn mistake on here and I'm getting reamed for it.
    Really? One mistake? How many people on this site have called you out man? How many more people need to call you out before you say "hmmmm, maybe it's me? Maybe I am the one who is wrong here? Maybe I should reevaluate how I attempt to purchase books from people at thedarktower.org, because my current process clearly has some people perturbed"

If you don't want to take the time to discuss, take pictures of, and try to sell your books then why place an advertisement in the first place?
    Like neosatus said above, asking someone to do extra work (pictures and long, drawn out discussions) and THEN low balling them and/or not following through is bad form.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I rarely ever sell anything, so I had no idea which member was being discussed until he was called out.

It seems like this thread has evolved from serious financial concerns to annoyances and time wasters. Should it be renamed, "Annoying buyers," (or some such) rather than "...avoid like the Plague?" Honest question because the thread title connotes an awfully serious charge.
    I like Jerome's title. It has style. My vote is to leave it alone.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My vote is to leave the title as is-of course I myself titled the thread, so perhaps my opinion is clouded by that.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not even getting close to this debate. I have too many friends in the foray, but I'm a "Yankee Trader" and love to dicker, to a point. I use different method's but have always loved this story by Clifford Simak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Front_Yard

And if it gets a few of you folks to read it well, that's the point of this post!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't have picked a red blooded Yankees fan such as yourself for a fence sitter....

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I also had problems with this buyer, a price was agreed upon then he wanted to trade, then he wanted a lower price, no sale even though a price had been agreed upon.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To add my 2 cents worth, I've dealt with thelangoleer as a buyer, just recently, and though shipping of the items that I acquired from him was delayed a little through his recent bout of illness, he maintained positive and consistent communication throughout, and went so far as to have a family friend undertake the responsibility for shipping the package, and obtaining the all-important (to me, anyway) USPS/Customs tracking number and passing it along to me. I can't speak to the matter of thelangoleer as a potential buyer here on the forum (I'm possessive and don't sell any damn thing ) but feel the need to add a little positivity to the mix in relation to the selling side of the equation - given that the transaction was the conducted under the generally accepted trust practice on the forum of PayPal gift, sure, one does take a bit of a gamble - it's not like there's too much in the way of come back if the seller decided to keep the money and the books, right? However, although only a new member here, I've had dealings with several of the guys (even before I switched from my previous forum to TDT - and, you know who you are ) and it's always been a matter of trust - and, unfailingly, including my transaction with thelangoleer, this trust has been substantively justified
    We all float down here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast