Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought!

Dick
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about auctions with reserves. I sort of understand the feeling behind starting the price lower to get more people to look at it, but if you don't plan on selling it for X number of dollars anyway, why not just start it at that price to begin with? If nobody bids on it, then you know it's set too high.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Setting an auction with a Reserve Price and a low opening bid will attract more potential buyers than it would with just a high starting price. If you start an auction with a price of $200, many people will just move on (unless they have to have the item). If you list with an opening bid of 99 cents and a reserve of $200, you will get more people looking and possibly placing bids to see if they come up to the reserve. Plus, people tend to want to get in the action of an auction with a lot of bids on it.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Setting an auction with a Reserve Price and a low opening bid will attract more potential buyers than it would with just a high starting price. If you start an auction with a price of $200, many people will just move on (unless they have to have the item). If you list with an opening bid of 99 cents and a reserve of $200, you will get more people looking and possibly placing bids to see if they come up to the reserve. Plus, people tend to want to get in the action of an auction with a lot of bids on it.
    This is correct...in theory, people like the action, so the reserve at least encourages a few bids even if you know you won't meet the reserve...at least they'll bid to see what's going on. When you list something high (like $200 or whatever), it just feels like you're buying it, and that's no fun!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't sold on eBay in a while and the 'new' rules which incredibly favour the buyer and despicable. Some guy took TEN days to pay and I can't even leave a neutral feedback. He could however leave me a negative if he wanted to for whatever stupid reason. He could simply be a prick and leave a neg out of spite.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, that's a pain...but he did pay, after awhile, right? I dunno....I've never had any problems on Ebay so I don't really worry about it. I think people worry too much about negative feedback anyway...if you have a lot of positive feedback, then I think most people figure out that one negative feedback resulted from a unique problem, not a pattern.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Auction ended on 11/21, he paid today. He's entitled to leave me a negative if I take that long. Pure BS but nothing I can do about it.

I worry more about the buyer saying they never received the records than a negative. If I only have registered shipping as an option, not many people would buy a $10-15 record with shipping charges being higher than the actual item.

You can't use delivery confirmation from Canada, can you? Sux. Int'l shipping always worries me, although I've never had anything lost or even damaged.

I did send something TO Canada once...then it got misdirected, sent back to me, and I had to pay the same price of return shipping! Then the buyer complained to me like it was my fault! And it was a big package too, so it cost quite a bit.

Honestly, my view on a $15 item is to take the risk and not worry about it...nothing that comes of it will change your life either way.

Country
    Country Flag

You're right, we can't purchase just tracking or delivery confirmation, it needs to be sent as registered if I want to make sure it arrives.

I put my own rule in a description saying that if the item sells for more than $50, registered is a must or please do not bid.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It really sucks that Ebay has restricted shipping prices, and now takes a 9% cut of the price AND the shipping. Then they (since they own Paypal), get another cut. I really wish there was at least competition for Paypal.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't researched it myself, but I've heard decent things about alertpay dot com.

Problem is, as you point out, eBay only allows Paypal.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What is-if any, the fee for putting a book up on Ebay with a reserve (when it doesn't sell)? I looked it up and it appears you only pay the insertion fess.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The fees are $2 for a reserve price up to $200, 1% of reserve price above $200. I just tested a listing with a reserve price of $1,000 and it calculated the fee as $10.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    The fees are $2 for a reserve price up to $200, 1% of reserve price above $200. I just tested a listing with a reserve price of $1,000 and it calculated the fee as $10.
    Can you provide the link to how one "tests" a price?

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Would this help, Jerome?.

http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Can you provide the link to how one "tests" a price?
    I just created the listing with a reserve price, then clicked on "Continue". At the bottom of the screen it says, "Your fees so far: $10.00."

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sim-Sala-Bim.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

eBay to delete dormant accounts with 30 days notice : http://tamebay.com/2012/02/ebay-to-d...ys-notice.html
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Default Weird Paypal maybe-scam...any thoughts?

So I have some books listed on ebay.

I got a weird request.

Someone from Manila wanted me to pose one of the books (an Easton Press book, "The World is Flat") alongside their logo and take a picture.

They would send me $20 via Paypal.

So, I'm not even sure it's a scam..but I'm also not replying. Any ideas on what this is about?

(this is off-topic, so feel free to delete the thread in a couple days - or even sooner...)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd ignore the request. It doesn't sound kosher to me.

John

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I generally feel if something sounds weird, it is best avoided.

Too many damn con-artists out there.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weird......

DELETE!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Go for it!!! You'll probably end up agreeing to be the "Virgin" sacrifice in a Amazon Death rite that saves a "people" and results in Zombie-ism, but what the heck else are you doing this week?

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

When in doubt..throw it out. If it sounds too good to be true it is, and if it sounds weird, it is.
    Delete it and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Go for it!!! You'll probably end up agreeing to be the "Virgin" sacrifice in a Amazon Death rite that saves a "people" and results in Zombie-ism, but what the heck else are you doing this week?

Haha...yeah! I'm gonna do it!

No - I'm definitley NOT doing it...not replying, already deleted the request.

Mostly, I'm curious what the scam might be. It's very possible that for some strange business reason they actually want their logo next to this specific book (The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman)....but I think it's some weird reverse Paypal scam, where they are able to get some data or something from the email address.

Just a weird request...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast