Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Haunting of Hill House - Netflix

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Haunting of Hill House - Netflix

Okay, so I just saw that this show is available on, Netflix and I've begun watching it. I didn't see a thread in, Fedic however if I missed something feel free to merge as the Mods see fit.

I imagine folks around here will want to discuss their thoughts on the show, so have at it people. Mark spoilers as appropriate as I'm sure people will be at different stages/episodes.

FWIW, I'm optomistic that this will be a good rendition of the classic novel. Let the viewing begin and the discussions abound!!!! Let us know what you think!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've seen nothing but positive reviews, so I'm optimistic. There's so much I want to get to this Halloween season, but I'm hoping to start it sooner rather than later.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched the show in its entirety already, I really thoroughly enjoyed it and was sad when it was through. Found myself wanting more, so I rewatched the classic film shortly afterwards just to scratch the itch.

The show has lots of long, slow zoom and pan shots, lots of long single takes and lots of Easter eggs in frame, so I found the camera work and cinematography to be absolutely brilliant. I could say lots about the "horror" aspects, but I dont want to venture off towards spoilers - so I'll leave that for you to discover as you watch, suffice it to say that I quite enjoyed the series.

If they somehow could pull a second season out if their ass, I would watch that too, but it has a fantastic arc and structure so I'm highly doubtful it will be revisited.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Was going to dismiss this show as 'just' another Netflix Original, but I've been reading nothing but good things about it.

Maybe I'll make it a Halloween viewing.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...75524192980993
    THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, revised and remodeled by Mike Flanagan. I don't usually care for this kind of revisionism, but this is great. Close to a work of genius, really. I think Shirley Jackson would approve, but who knows for sure.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I had no interest in this because I just have no inclination to rewatch Netflix original shows, but then I saw as I looked up him last night when I watched Hush that Mike Flanagan was involved in this series, and he's great. I'll have to check it out.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely LOVED it.
    Wraine of Pints N Quarters Gaming!

Check us out - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHY...g3rAGIp615zLtA

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished this last night and loved the shit out of it. I think this kind of horror where they give you a variety of tropes to mess with you is my fave. That tall bastard with the bowler hat (Will Hill I think? Seriously with that name?) really creeped me out

Can not recommend enough

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    Finished this last night and loved the shit out of it. I think this kind of horror where they give you a variety of tropes to mess with you is my fave. That tall bastard with the bowler hat (Will Hill I think? Seriously with that name?) really creeped me out

Can not recommend enough
    I AGREE 100%.. this show is how its done.. Can we not be Netflix enemies now?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Can not recommend enough
    I AGREE 100%.. this show is how its done.. Can we not be Netflix enemies now?
    This is exactly what one of the Hill ghosts would’ve said right as I made it to the top of the spiral staircase!!

Country
    Country Flag

Not a spoiler but Q about a later episode

did they ever pay off the guy fixing the clock? (Witness Marks) what was the point of him? Was he just there for Steve’s enlightenment moment? I think I missed something there.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can not recommend enough
    Absolutely loved this series! Binged it over my days off last week. And Tall Bastard, if that's what we're going to call him was my fav!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Damn this is some cold shit but I gotta say I think I would’ve loved this ending for season 1

https://geektyrant.com/news/the-haun...ore-depressing

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the first episode on Halloween and I gotta say, I was really underwhelmed. I thought it was slow, boring, and unfocused. I've heard it gets better but I'm not too enthusiastic to jump back in.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Denbrough View Post
    I watched the first episode on Halloween and I gotta say, I was really underwhelmed. I thought it was slow, boring, and unfocused. I've heard it gets better but I'm not too enthusiastic to jump back in.
    I was the exact same. Watched first ep, thought meh. I was a little more ‘whelmed’ by the 2nd, which I watched a couple days later but still nothing life changing. Episodes 3-10 I watched within 24 hours with the lights off, the volume up, and didn’t even think about playing with my phone, etc.

Slow and boring are subjective but you will definitely no longer think it’s unfocused if you keep watching. Shit will get tight as fuck in terms of story.

Country
    Country Flag

Well that's hopeful. Hopefully I feel the same way.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I didn't make it through the first 15 minutes.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Then you've done yourself a disservice.

Don't get me wrong, you've every reason not to give it the time of day and to decide to turn it off, to each there own and all that - but it really does pick up steam and become more than worth the time invested.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Then you've done yourself a disservice.

Don't get me wrong, you've every reason not to give it the time of day and to decide to turn it off, to each there own and all that - but it really does pick up steam and become more than worth the time invested.
    I haven't given up on it completely. I just couldn't watch it anymore at the time. I wanted to watch something that was interesting and it simply wasn't at the time.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I’ve already showered it with praise so I won’t beat that horse but I rewatched episode 6 last night...a thing I rarely do. Not only an incredible episode, but it’s a 50 minute episode. And it’s basically 5 long scenes...one of them clocking at about 17 minutes, which is pretty remarkable for one take. And half the ep is flashbacks using kids and they crush it too. Pretty amazing. Can not recommend enough

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you loved Castle Rock, you'll hate this........
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    If you loved Castle Rock, you'll hate this........
    Nice. This should be a legit logarithm that gets used for people that get off on hate watching.

If you like Gunslinger, you’ll hate Rose Madder etc

If you hate Friday the 13th, you’ll love Wet Hot American Summer!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I found this well acted, written and produced. I enjoyed the repositioning of some statues.

I am in LOVE with the house though! I look at old houses like I look at old cars.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the show. All the connections throughout the show, from past to present, were pretty cool. I didn't think the show was scary over all. Never really liked Timothy Hutton, but I thought he acted very well here. And I think Carla was great again.
    But

Still thought it was a pretty cool show in the end.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...ation-revealed
    Having achieved massive acclaim (if not major TV awards) for the masterful horror series The Haunting of Hill House, Netflix announced that there are a lot more scares on the way, though not at Hill House itself. The streaming service has entered into a multi-year agreement with series creator Mike Flanagan and his producing partner Trevor Macy, a deal that firmly establishes Haunting as a horror anthology and ushers in an official Season 2 renewal.

Because just a renewal announcement would be too typical and one-note, the Haunting of Hill House Twitter page dropped a clue-filled teaser urging fans to guess where Season 2 will take place. Give it a look and listen.

A new Haunting is coming. Can you guess where it takes place? Listen closely... pic.twitter.com/vqzrd3z4NZ
    — The Haunting of Hill House (@haunting) February 21, 2019

For those who couldn't quite pick it out, the line heard there is: "The terrace and the whole place, the lawn and the garden beyond it, all I could see of the park, were empty with a great emptiness."

That line comes from the fourth chapter of Henry James' seminal 1898 horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which is a beyond fantastic work to pull from for Season 2 of this franchise of sorts. James' story centers on a young governess taking care of two children in a remote country home, while their official caretaker, their uncle, couldn't be less concerned. To be expected, the home is the source of possible ghostly presences, and that home's name is Bly Manor.

The Turn of the Screw has remained a classic in part due to the narrative's anecdotal nature lending to its ambiguousness and the debatability of its events. Shades of that were present in Hill House, at least among members of the family, if not within the audience. Mike Flanagan will likely bring lots of unique twists and turns to the tale – which, also like Hill House, has been adapted many times and inspired countless works since its publication.

Netflix's new deal with Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy definitely isn't just limited to developing and producing new Haunting seasons, either, though those are included. The creative duo will also work on other new things for the streaming giant, with plans for both cinematic and televised projects.

That's not so much of a surprise, considering Mike Flanagan's last five films and Hill House were part of his partnership with Trevor Macy through the Intrepid Pictures banner, and four of those were through Netflix: Hush, Before I Wake, Gerald's Game and Hill House. You gotta go with where the success happens, especially in a genre like horror.

Mike Flanagan is currently gearing up for the release of his upcoming theatrical release Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of Stephen King's sequel to The Shining. It's his second King feature, so I think it's already time to start calling for him to take on one the horror icon's many works for Haunting's third season. Would it be weird for him to go back and do The Haunting of the Overlook Hotel?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast