Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
Hey Anthony, i really like your artwork. How do you choose your pieces? Do you follow specific artists? Art movements? Themes? Investment? (Are you running out of wall space?!)
I follow and collect Mark Ryden, although only the stuff that I like, or that I can afford Some of his older and rarer limited edition productions that I would like to own either never come up for sale, or when they do, they're out of my price range. And his original works, unless they are very simplistic, exist in a high orbit above the small planet that is my art budget.

Other than that, there are some artists that I passively 'follow' that I would consider to be part of the surrealism or 'lowbrow' art movement. I don't own anything by him, but Michael Hussar is a talented artist that dabbles in occultish, horrorish, and overtly sexual imagery that I like, but can't collect because my wife...um...isn't a fan. Look him up to see what I mean

In general, though, I most like artwork that disturbs the senses more than soothes them. If my first and reoccurring reaction to a piece of art is 'what the fuck?,' I prefer that to thinking 'that's pretty,' although I appreciate the pretty stuff too. I think that's why I like Ryden, because his artwork is weird and a lot of times a little offensive to the senses, but it also has a subtle overall detailed beauty. Like the print of Aurora somewhere up above, the frontal nudity of the figure is a little offensive to the senses, but when you start asking yourself 'why is it offending me?,' or 'why does this make me uncomfortable?,' the internal conversation that you can have can get interesting