Quote Originally Posted by TheByteSmasher View Post
Howdy all. I'm going to throw my 2˘ in here. Firstly, I've seen cries that this was a money grab. I don't think so. It is a neat little story. Similar to Joyland. It's just a quiet story. There are a ton of King-isms in this book. Down to the writer's word choices... pish-tosh and so on. As for Flagg and Farris being the same, I'd say yes. in TDT and The Stand (maybe eyes of the dragon) Flagg is a more centrally located character. We see more of him, we see more into him... As such I believe that A) Flagg does not always remember what he did or who he even is while traveling between worlds, even on the King's bidding. B) Flagg isn't evil, just selfish and ruthless. In the stand he was very dictatorial but in the wind through the keyhole, as the covenant man, he was a bit like Richard Farris in Gwendy's BB. A little harsher in manner but, he allowed events to happen and for people to make their own choices.. He just set it in motion and watched. That's what he likes doing... I think he's actually a little closer to Fate personified than strictly evil in most cases... Also.. I think there is a little discontinuity because I'm not 100% sure that for his entire writing career, SK thought of RF as the actual same guy in all his books until later on.
Additionally, a word on Horror: I do not believe Horror has to be actually goose bumps scary. Gwendy's is a horror due to the sheer nature of, and visceral reaction from, the situations in the book. That being said, I didn't love the story. Largely because of the basic premise : young girl grows up. I've raised 2 girls and have had enough teenage drama for the rest of my life
Good first post, TBS. Welcome to the site.