Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how a "conspiracy" was determined.
    I'd be keen to know what the evidence looks like to conclude a conspiracy (and how one could come across such evidence)?

Am I missing something, but wouldn't the "conspiracy" have to involve every single collector who was going to bid high? That would be quite a Jason Bourne level operation. All you need is one serous and cashed-up collector to not be a part of the conspiracy, and the conspiracy falls down.

Drama after drama at the Winters bricks and mortar.
    Exactly. If there was a conspiracy afoot, why wasnt I notified? I wouldve blown the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    This is just stupidity.

A conspiracy to keep prices low, even if it existed, isn't logistical. Or for that matter logical.

Why lie about it?

I suspect that a large number of people who might have bid won't bother now.

I certainly don't care anymore.
    It's very strange. I would agree that a majority will just back away at this point

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

As I recall the only "Drama" that has occurred with< Gerald takes place in this forum. And he is no longer a member here.

Attempting any form of price fixing at a charity auction is seriously bad form at the least.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

There was no minimum bid on these auctions, right?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Do all bidders have to register? If so, such collusion among bidders interested in a subset of items might be possible.

Even if a rogue bidder upset the applecart, the fact that some bidders were colluding this way casts doubt on the legitimacy/legality of the whole auction. I can understand an auction house doing whatever it could to avoid that kind of blemish on their reputation.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    And why would it matter if so? Let’s say a few collectors tried to do so.... what about the other collectors that didn’t know the few that were “conspiring” and put their own bids in. They would want the item and bid accordingly to secure said item... thus rendering the low bids irrelevant. I just don’t see how that would matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, someone (who was too chicken shit to leave a name) didn't approve of my choice in emoji's.

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement. If you're going to engage or defend "price fixing" (or collusion if you prefer) in a charity auction designed to assist those who are sick or suffering well, IMHO you're a
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I will NOT be bidding, even though there are some cool items. I'm completely turned off.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And why would it matter if so? Let’s say a few collectors tried to do so.... what about the other collectors that didn’t know the few that were “conspiring” and put their own bids in. They would want the item and bid accordingly to secure said item... thus rendering the low bids irrelevant. I just don’t see how that would matter in the grand scheme of things.

Apparently, someone (who was too chicken shit to leave a name) didn't approve of my choice in emoji's.

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement. If you're going to engage or defend "price fixing" (or collusion if you prefer) in a charity auction designed to assist those who are sick or suffering well, IMHO you're a
    I didn’t leave you any rep. So not sure what your trying to say about my comment and price fixing. I submitted a form like everyone else with what I wanted to pay... so you should watch your mouth before accusing anyone of anything. Anyways, I am not going to start this immature engagement with you Bill. It got old... a long time ago.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn’t leave you any rep. So not sure what your trying to say about my comment and price fixing. I submitted a form like everyone else with what I wanted to pay... so you should watch your mouth before accusing anyone of anything. Anyways, I am not going to start this immature engagement with you Bill. It got old... a long time ago.

Spoiler:
    I didn't accuse you of anything. I just pointed out that even tacitly approving of that kind of shennanigans at a charity function is a dick move. Too bad you didn't learn more growing up.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I didn't accuse you of anything. I just pointed out that even tacitly approving of that kind of shennanigans at a charity function is a dick move. Too bad you didn't learn more growing up.
    My mother in law died a horrible death in front of me and my wife from cancer. She lasted but 3 months from a healthy beautiful woman to a hospital bed. It killed me to see that so cancer is something I do charity work for all the time in my hometown. I agree anyone trying to rip off an auction in support is a piece of shit. Have a little restraint with your words Bill. I learned enough about this terrible disease and my heart goes out and breaks for anyone that has had this happen to them in their family. SO.. you can stick that middle finger sir... where the sun don't shine.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    My mother in law died a horrible death in front of me and my wife from cancer. She lasted but 3 months from a healthy beautiful woman to a hospital bed. It killed me to see that so cancer is something I do charity work for all the time in my hometown. I agree anyone trying to rip off an auction in support is a piece of shit. Have a little restraint with your words Bill. I learned enough about this terrible disease and my heart goes out and breaks for anyone that has had this happen to them in their family. SO.. you can stick that middle finger sir... where the sun don't shine.
    Clearly, you are off your meds so, I'll give you a pass.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Back on topic please.

Country
    Country Flag

Back on topic please.
    Out of respect for you RF.. done.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a question about the people that signed up for the original auction. Did you had to put the amount you were going to bid?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I have a question about the people that signed up for the original auction. Did you had to put the amount you were going to bid?
    Yes. Lot number and top bid for that item.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. Is that a common practice before an auction?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

As I recall the only "Drama" that has occurred with< Gerald takes place in this forum. And he is no longer a member here.

Attempting any form of price fixing at a charity auction is seriously bad form at the least.
    The only drama that takes place with Gerald is of his own creation.

He overreacted to posts on this forum and took his ball and went home. I was one of the people encouraging him to come back to the site. He did so. He was then petulantly offended again and hasn't posted since.

He stored valuable books in a vulnerable basement.

He canceled the auction because he wasn't receiving the high bids he wanted. He then claimed it was a logistical problem which was proven a lie by David Morrell who stated it was a conspiracy to keep prices low.

If there was actually an attempt at price fixing it was destined to fail because of legitimate bidders such as Kris who you made an unwarranted ad hominem attack against. BTW it's bad form to personally attack a member of this site who was a legitimate bidder and not involved in any price fixing.

While it isn't cool to try to fix a charity auction, it also isn't cool to cancel an auction because you didn't bother to place a reserve price or you think people aren't bidding enough.

Gerald has now lost the support and respect of a portion of the King collecting community with this debacle of his own creation.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Gerald has now lost the support and respect of a portion of the King collecting community with this debacle of his own creation.
    For what it’s worth coming from someone who hasn’t been here that long, I tend to agree with you about this last statement you made. I saw the posts way up-thread a while back and it left me with a less than great impression of GW. And if I’m being honest, it seems kind of obvious this auction simply didn’t go as planned and that that was the real reason it was cancelled. If I had bid on anything in this auction I’d be furious with the thought that I might have had a winning bid at a price I could afford, but didn’t get the item because GW didn’t think it was high enough. That’s what a reserve is for. I wouldn’t have bid on something with a reserve I couldn’t afford.

Personally I hope GW rights this and redeems his reputation with that portion of the community you mentioned. Hell, I bought my first King book from him and I want to like him.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"hominem attack against . BTW it's bad form to personally attack a member of this site who was a legitimate bidder and not involved in any price fixing".

Once again, folks have failed to fully read my post. I never accused him of "Price fixing". I did however express my opinion () of what his post seemed to convey IMO (i.e. he seemed to be okay with it in a charity auction). To me that is "Dick-able" (lol) and I am entitled to my opinion whether popular or not.

As far as, Gerald and his auction is concerned I have recently received information that validates members opinions of his business practices as being quite a bit less than on the up and up. That too would be a huge "Dick-able" offense IMHO. Given this new info, I am done with him and offer my apologies for defending him in the past. I was obviously wrong in that respect.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bill, you misread Kris's post.

He wasn't condoning price fixing in a charity auction.

He stated that he was a legitimate bidder in the auction.

You mistakenly flamed him.

I wish the best for Gerald.

I do think he's a bit too sensitive about posts on internet forums.

I don't think he or David Morrell did themselves any favors by canceling the auction in such a manner.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The only drama that takes place with Gerald is of his own creation.

He overreacted to posts on this forum and took his ball and went home. I was one of the people encouraging him to come back to the site. He did so. He was then petulantly offended again and hasn't posted since.

He stored valuable books in a vulnerable basement.

He canceled the auction because he wasn't receiving the high bids he wanted. He then claimed it was a logistical problem which was proven a lie by David Morrell who stated it was a conspiracy to keep prices low.

If there was actually an attempt at price fixing it was destined to fail because of legitimate bidders such as Kris who you made an unwarranted ad hominem attack against. BTW it's bad form to personally attack a member of this site who was a legitimate bidder and not involved in any price fixing.

While it isn't cool to try to fix a charity auction, it also isn't cool to cancel an auction because you didn't bother to place a reserve price or you think people aren't bidding enough.

I'm seriously confused with this latest with Gerald's & Son... aside from the back & forth with opinions, what's the real skinny here?
    Gerald's website still has the auction posted, is this permanently off or just postponed?
    This statement has also piqued my curiosity:
    "He canceled the auction because he wasn't receiving the high bids he wanted. He then claimed it was a logistical problem which was proven a lie by David Morrell who stated it was a conspiracy to keep prices low"
    Is all this source information posted online somewhere?
    Thanks

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Where is that quote from?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for "The Skinny" clarification.
    Now I'm really curious to know how David Morrell came to his conclusion, being that it was a public auction.
    It seems to me the best way to price fix is with a minimum bid private auction w/email and phone call only... Am I wrong here?
    I feel there must be a great deal more to this story that's missing.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

+1,000,000 Brian.
    Things have just been too "off" for my taste. I was a regular customer in there, almost every weekend plus the fact that I bought some pretty high end items and sold a couple of other items through him(big regret there!). I haven't been in the store since last Oct when I found out I was screwed over on something. It was a minor something but it was important to me and showed me his character. I've often thought about maybe stopping by to try and mend things because we were friends at one point(at least I thought so) but too much drama has happened. Other collectors have shared things to me privately and it's just been a turn off.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    +1,000,000 Brian.
    Things have just been too "off" for my taste. I was a regular customer in there, almost every weekend plus the fact that I bought some pretty high end items and sold a couple of other items through him(big regret there!). I haven't been in the store since last Oct when I found out I was screwed over on something. It was a minor something but it was important to me and showed me his character. I've often thought about maybe stopping by to try and mend things because we were friends at one point(at least I thought so) but too much drama has happened. Other collectors have shared things to me privately and it's just been a turn off.
    Wow! You had posted a lot about your dealings with him, so that is really disappointing to hear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast