Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    If Pet Sematary was the manuscript buried in the mud, do you think......never mind.

Mulleins
    Best comment EVER!! Positive Rep. given, of course!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I think the dirt theoretically contains bits of lost rarities, while also providing those who wish to help financially a way to do so.
    I figure it would be great to find just the right Plant to add to the soil and see how it grows.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    If Pet Sematary was the manuscript buried in the mud, do you think......never mind.

Mulleins
    Best comment EVER!! Positive Rep. given, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I think the dirt theoretically contains bits of lost rarities, while also providing those who wish to help financially a way to do so.
    I figure it would be great to find just the right Plant to add to the soil and see how it grows.
    Oh, you two should definitely begin a career in stand-up!!!!!!! lol lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure I’m understanding the dirt thing, is Gerald selling dirt and if so... why?
    Is this a fundraiser? If so, what is it for? I’m guessing no insurance?
    I’ve read a few pseudo statements about flood damage and Stephen King “items” damaged, manuscripts, maybe more than one.
    Does anyone know what was actually lost.
    Has Gerald posted any statements on the DT.org site?
    I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, this has been really confusing and would like clarification.
    I apologize if this had already been cleared up, please feel free to point me to the thread.
    Thanks

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

^ Gerald, no longer posts here due to the tone and tenor of folks here in his opinion I've been advised.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Not sure I’m understanding the dirt thing, is Gerald selling dirt and if so... why?
    I’ve read a few pseudo statements about flood damage and Stephen King “items” damaged, manuscripts, maybe more than one.
    I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, this has been really confusing and would like clarification.
    I apologize if this had already been cleared up, please feel free to point me to the thread.
    Thanks
    The dirt thing is explained in a long post on his Facebook page.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE....
    Spoiler:
    IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE SEWER MAIN THAT BROKE & YOU WOULD HAVE TO ORDER YOU'R OWN LITTLE BOTTLE OF SHIT.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Thanks
    <----------------I think I am obtuse. Still not getting it, beside someone recommended that he sell dirt?
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Thanks
    <----------------I think I am obtuse. Still not getting it, beside someone recommended that he sell dirt?
    Odd people asked to buy some. He was confused, and then decided... why the hell not?
    Blame weird people for his decision.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Thanks
    Odd people asked to buy some. He was confused, and then decided... why the hell not?
    Blame weird people for his decision.
    Ok, so I guess the dirt thing is somebody suggesting it, but what was actually lost?
    I saw a few pictures of floating boxes and some muddy twisted paperbacks, some seats.
    Is there somewhere posted pictures of these mass amounts of rare books that were lost.
    Again, my apologies if this has been posted already but where are the pics? Are any posted on DT.org?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Apparently no images at all showing masses of rare books.
    I did suggest in an earlier post that we could be informed, as collectors, of anything rare or unique that had been destroyed.
    Supposedly he does not post here any longer due to the "tone and tenor" of people on this site.
    As good an excuse as any I suppose.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I did suggest in an earlier post that we could be informed, as collectors, of anything rare or unique that had been destroyed.
    Supposedly he does not post here any longer due to the "tone and tenor" of people on this site.
    I also looked on facebook & can find nothing regarding massive book losses (picture wise), but I seem to remember somewhere somebody posted 2000 books destroyed.
    I know this seems really negative on my part but seriously, why all the drama?
    Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guy having flood damage and all but, is it my imagination or is this being overplayed a bit?
    Something feels a little misleading here. I'm going out on a limb here to say gut level, based on what I've seen. "I cry foul".

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I also looked on facebook & can find nothing regarding massive book losses (picture wise), but I seem to remember somewhere somebody posted 2000 books destroyed.
    Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guy having flood damage and all but, is it my imagination or is this being overplayed a bit?
    Something feels a little misleading here. I'm going out on a limb here to say gut level, based on what I've seen. "I cry foul".
    Not being overplayed. Gerald's place of business flooded twice in two weeks; the second time due to a faulty repair by Bangor Public Works. Had he not been in the shop when the pipes initially burst it likely would have been worse. For the most part Gerald's personal collection has been destroyed, his business decimated and the insurance isn't coming close to covering the value. In the face of this Gerald has displayed a positive attitude, professional demeanor and wry sense of humor. He isn't actively courting publicity; just updating information on his Facebook page. If there is a demand for bottled mud with manuscript scraps imbedded and it helps Gerald's business then good for him. Even better if he could get SK to sign the bottles. As Hank Peters wisely observed in 'Salem's Lot: "Tourists'll buy anything...they'd buy a bag of cowshit if it was an old bag."

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Not being overplayed. Gerald's place of business flooded twice in two weeks; the second time due to a faulty repair by Bangor Public Works. Had he not been in the shop when the pipes initially burst it likely would have been worse. For the most part Gerald's personal collection has been destroyed, his business decimated and the insurance isn't coming close to covering the value. In the face of this Gerald has displayed a positive attitude, professional demeanor and wry sense of humor. He isn't actively courting publicity; just updating information on his Facebook page. If there is a demand for bottled mud with manuscript scraps imbedded and it helps Gerald's business then good for him. Even better if he could get SK to sign the bottles. As Hank Peters wisely observed in 'Salem's Lot: "Tourists'll buy anything...they'd buy a bag of cowshit if it was an old bag."

^THIS!!!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok so if I have this right.. still no pictures & he keeps his "personal" collection of 2000 books in the basement of his shop?
    We'll I'm convinced now, thanks for clearing that up. (not picking on you personally Ben Mears)
    I know that sound sort sarcastic but the proof is in the pudding, not hearsay.
    I think I read that there was a vast amount of photographs taken?
    I still think there's some dancing around the edges here.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This recent conversation probably go a long way towards explaining why the gentleman chooses to no longer post here!!! lol lol

Help or don't help. No reason to suggest improprieties and or subterfuge on the man. For the record, he has not personally posted anything here on this site requesting anything from anyone. Yet some folks here feel the need to disparage the man and/or the situation. I for one now get the "Tone & Tenor" reference!! lol Geez!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Ok so if I have this right.. still no pictures & he keeps his "personal" collection of 2000 books in the basement of his shop?
    We'll I'm convinced now, thanks for clearing that up. (not picking on you personally Ben Mears)
    Exactly what edge dancing is going on? You say yourself in a subsequent post that there is no reason to suggest improprieties yet that is what you just did. Gerald has not authored a single post on this site in reference to the flood yet his character and motives related to the detail of his losses are being questioned. Would a detailed list of items damaged or lost accompanied by photographic evidence be more palatable? He owes no explanation or itemized lists to anyone other than his insurance agent and the City of Bangor if he chooses to file a lawsuit.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    This recent conversation probably go a long way towards explaining why the gentleman chooses to no longer post here!!! lol lol

Help or don't help. No reason to suggest improprieties and or subterfuge on the man. For the record, he has not personally posted anything here on this site requesting anything from anyone. Yet some folks here feel the need to disparage the man and/or the situation. I for one now get the "Tone & Tenor" reference!! lol Geez!!! lol lol

My thoughts exactly Bill! If I were Gerald, I wouldn't come near here either.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Gerald stated from the beginning that his shop was going to be as much a museum as a storefront. He did keep the majority of his personal collection there, so that fans could go there to see rare and one of a kind items. I was there several times and saw things that were never intended for sale but were on display for all to enjoy, learn about, and hear some wonderful stories.

And having been there, yes, I can easily see upwards of 2000 of Gerald’s personal items and sale items being in the basement.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly what edge dancing is going on? You say yourself in a subsequent post that there is no reason to suggest improprieties yet that is what you just did. Gerald has not authored a single post on this site in reference to the flood yet his character and motives related to the detail of his losses are being questioned. Would a detailed list of items damaged or lost accompanied by photographic evidence be more palatable? He owes no explanation or itemized lists to anyone other than his insurance agent and the City of Bangor if he chooses to file a lawsuit.
    Well stated. Unfortunately, there seems to be a propensity for some folks on this site to cast aspersions on people without any direct and/or actual evidence. This is not the first time something like this has occurred and I am afraid will most likely not be the last time either. IDK why some people feel the need to sully a members reputation based on speculation or suspicion and not actual evidence or experience. I dare say they would not appreciate the same being done to them though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I purchased from Gerald both well before and after he opened his store. He has always been most upfront and honest on every dealing. He is a genuinely nice man. I have zero doubts his losses are catastrophic in collecting terms.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In response to an anonymous comment, yeah I have a big mouth, but I don't use it to talk shit about folks of which I have little or no in depth knowledge.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have had some dealings with Gerald when I was still actively collecting and have the utmost admiration for him. He's a great person.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, I don't see any harm in Cook's inquiries. This is the internet, and we area pretty sedate site. As book collector's, what we think is an uproar is generally just a meow.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Apparently I need to make a correction to my post 3 or 4 up. Someone (?) has indicated to me that Gerald has said the majority of collection is in Thailand and/or Ireland. If this is something he has said elsewhere then I stand corrected.

I also still stand by the rest of my post.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast