Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks just freaking amazing!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very Cool!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

to bad we have to wait a freakin' year to see it.....

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts exactly!
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My advice? Keep your mind off that wait by watching something else that's awesome, something that will completely take your mind off it. Like the new series of Sherlock starting on New Year's Day and starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as John Watson, both of whom are starring in The Hobbit next year!

Oh. Well, it was worth a try, anyway.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I've got movies and TV series to keep me busy. I love how they now do seasons where you either get half seasons that go for 12 weeks take a break then go for 12 more. OR shows like Shameless that will start in January end in May and soon after I think True blood will start up.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When you say "Shameless", do you mean American Shameless or proper Shameless?

Spoiler:
    Sorry, couldn't resist being the picky British bastard that I normally am! Haven't watched any of the remake, but then again, I'm not a regular viewer of the original, either. What I've seen I have liked, but it's not something that appeals to me on a regular basis, really.

Oh, and I strongly recommend catching up on Sherlock, especially since it's only 3 eps per series! Before you ask, all the eps are 90 minutes each, which is partly the reason why the series are so short, but they're definitely worth watching, just to see how fantastic the actors are for Bilbo and the voice of Smaug are!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    to bad we have to wait a freakin' year to see it.....
    It's all good, we still have The Dark Knight Rises to hold us over until then

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And a brand new series of Sherlock, feev, which I assume you'll be watching, yes?

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

One rung at a time man! Let's get through Life on Mars first and then we'll go from there

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm only suggesting it because (a) as pointed out earlier, each series is ridiculously short, at 3 eps long, (b) it's got the geezers from the Hobbit in it, and (c) along with The Hobbit and The Dark Knight Rises, the 2nd series will probably be the most awesome thing released next year. And I do not say that lightly. (Although Life on Mars definitely deserves top priority, of course! )

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha, alright. Are you planning on setting up some sort of rewatch thing for that as well ? If you , sign me up.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Haha, sweet! Maybe after LoM and the second season of your Lost Re-watch. (Any news on when that's gonna continue, btw?)

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

LOL i forgot that american Shameless wasn't the original. I was talking about that version.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I guessed, but I just felt like reminding ya. Honestly though, I feel less bothered about it than other remakes. At least it's cable, so it isn't considerably watered down for audiences.

Another reason why you gotta love Jackson's films: it retains something inheritantly British about Middle Earth. For crying out loud, the main characters are geezers who do nothing but smoke all day long, eat food all day, and have drinks down the pub on a regular basis: how much more British can you get? But seriously, I do think that quintessential Englishness is important, even if it is set in a fantasy world. After all, the whole point Tolkein created Middle-Earth was to give England its own mythology, something he realised was seriously lacking. That's something I'm always going to be astonished by: how much effort he put into creating this world, and how little of it we actually saw.

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Another reason why you gotta love Jackson's films: it retains something inheritantly British about Middle Earth. For crying out loud, the main characters are geezers who do nothing but smoke all day long, eat food all day, and have drinks down the pub on a regular basis: how much more British can you get? But seriously, I do think that quintessential Englishness is important, even if it is set in a fantasy world. After all, the whole point Tolkein created Middle-Earth was to give England its own mythology, something he realised was seriously lacking. That's something I'm always going to be astonished by: how much effort he put into creating this world, and how little of it we actually saw.

So...are you saying that by being a Hobbit, I'm already British as it is?

And I know what you mean, about how much effort really did go into creating this world. Has anyone on here read the non-LOTR books by Tolkien? They are insane....and there's so many of them, is that gets me. The Silmarillion alone, which covers the entire mythology of the elves and the gods of Middle Earth, is over 400 pages long and is just jam-packed full of information. It's more thorough than half of the real religious texts I've read!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The LOTR universe is massive, filled with several intricacies. I think it's second only to the Star Wars universe in terms of how expansive it is.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

All the more impressive by the fact that, unlike the Star Wars universe, the mythology of Middle Earth was only done by one man. Two, if you count his son editing his father's work.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit very much. Along with the new series of Red Dwarf (they've filmed two episodes already, it comes out in Autumn. Sigh, another long wait.) And then there's Dreddand Prometheus. Looks like a good year for films and telly overall.

As for the LotRuniverse, I've read The Silmarillion, which I enjoyed. I think there's plenty of film material in there. (The individual stories, I mean, not The Silmarillion as a whole.) I enjoyed The Children of Hurin too. I'd count that as by J R R Tolkien as most of the work is his writing, his son only really writing to bridge things and sorting out inconsistencies.

I haven't read much else of the LotR published works as I got the impression a lot of it was essays by Tolkien's son on his work, or detailing other versions of the stuff that was written. I understand there may be other original fiction work among that stuff though.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Corporate greed wins again!

The Hobbit is now officially a trilogy.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

as much as I cannot deny I am excited for another Middle Earth movie...god dammit. Why can't they just accept the end of story, and leave it be?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right, that's it: they better change the schedule and release one every six months instead of per year, to make things a little more bearable.

(Oh, and are they actually going back to film more? If so, I hope that this, in no way, affects filming for Sherlock: Series 3. Ordinarily, more Freeman does sound promising, but god damnit, I will be pissed if the resolution to that cliffhanger isn't resolved within the next 18 months! (Even more than I am right now.) )

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a 310 page book spread over three films. Huh? Jackson is going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with enough supplementary material, there's no way in hell The Hobbit can be spread over three films on it's own.

What does Bilbo say in Fellowship? "I feel thin ... like butter spread over too much bread."

How appropriate.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    It's a 310 page book spread over three films. Huh? Jackson is going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with enough supplementary material, there's no way in hell The Hobbit can be spread over three films on it's own.
    They're not just covering The Hobbit. They're covering appendix material from the third Lord of the Rings book too. According to Peter Jackson's facebook entry, the very reason they're doing a third film is so that they can cover all that material. Mind you, I'd have thought two films would be enough. Maybe part of it will actually be a bridge between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, but this is just me speculating.

The Lord of the Rings is probably my favourite film series (or one of them anyway) so I don't mind the extra stuff.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

heh, should have probably read the article first instead of posting my knee-jerk reaction

eh, maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but it reeks of corporate greed to insert shit into the film that isn't an inherent part of the book itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast