Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 388 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 9676

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Are these priced too high and that's why they haven't sold? Do people just not want PC editions?
    I think it is because noone wants PC editions, except for the 5 people in the world who collect them. And they have them already.
    Early PC editions get a bad rap because of the recent (last 7-10 years) money grab by organizations printing multiple PCs and selling them at market value vs. issue price. DT PCs (especially I, II, and III) are rare and having a complete set is difficult to attain. A complete set of Publisher Copies is much harder to find than a numbered set. As Rabbit Trick alluded above, there are not many complete sets in existence. My guess is that there are 5-7 in the world...and they would most assuredly sell for more than a complete numbered set.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    Are these priced too high and that's why they haven't sold? Do people just not want PC editions?
    I think it is because noone wants PC editions, except for the 5 people in the world who collect them. And they have them already.
    Early PC editions get a bad rap because of the recent (last 7-10 years) money grab by organizations printing multiple PCs and selling them at market value vs. issue price. DT PCs (especially I, II, and III) are rare and having a complete set is difficult to attain. A complete set of Publisher Copies is much harder to find than a numbered set. As Rabbit Trick alluded above, there are not many complete sets in existence. My guess is that there are 5-7 in the world...and they would most assuredly sell for more than a complete numbered set.
    How the hell can it be harder to put a PC set together when you have multiple chances to match them & only one chance to match a number?... 5 or 7 sets with the SAME NUMBER would be less valuable then a single numbered set.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    How the hell can it be harder to put a PC set together when you have multiple chances to match them & only one chance to match a number?... 5 or 7 sets with the SAME NUMBER would be less valuable then a single numbered set.
    I totally agree.... Matching a single number is harder. Period.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In Johnny007's defense, he did not say a same number set, just a complete numbered set. One could have a "complete" set of all the books made up of various numbers.

Still, I disagree about the value of a PC set. I'd much rather have a complete set of random numbers than an all-PC set. I wouldn't buy a PC set for 50 cents on the dollar. Hell, probably not for 20 cents on the dollar. At least not to keep. Maybe if I knew I could sell it to someone who actually likes PC copies.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

What would you say the value of the set would be if they were random numbers?

For me it's more about the books as opposed to a matching set...

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It's all about personal preference I think. PC's don't bother me in the slightest. My Blockade Billy S/L is a PC.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Prices below might be a bit high for some of the volumes. For example, V, VI, VII, and LSOE commonly sell for around $350. I bought a high number III for $275 a couple of years ago, but have seen low numbers sell for over twice that. Any number below 500 would be worth a bit more.

I: $4,500
    II: $1,000
    III: $500
    IV: $800
    V: $400
    VI: $400
    VII: $400
    LSOE: $400
    TWTTK: $1,200

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

At Betts now...

Complete Dark Tower S/L Set....FOR LESS THAN $10,000! Gunslinger S/L is #203 and perfect; Dark Tower II - VII + Little Sisters of Eluria + Wind Through the Keyhole are all S/L matching #767...all are also perfect...full DT S/L set - AWESOME PRICE - $9,500

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys. Based on what DT1 sells for I see that PC set is priced about right if you assume those prices above and don't take the PC issues in to consideration.

RT made a good point in another thread that I need to consider the time it has taken for the PC set to sell already. If I ever sunk that kind of cash in to some books I'd need to know I could get my money back if I needed.

The seller has confirmed he has an arrangement to buy any future DT books from Grant and would pass that right to the me.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I totally agree.... Matching a single number is harder. Period.
    Wow, I guess you all put me in my place. While I didn't go to the Jethro Bodine advanced cyphering classes, I always thought that having 500 chances to complete a set was easier than maybe 10-15 chances. Just how difficult is it to find a same-numbered set? Aren't there about 60-70 of those sets sitting around the world? How many Publisher's Copy sets? I'm just a novice in this field so please forgive my naivete.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I guess you all put me in my place. While I didn't go to the Jethro Bodine advanced cyphering classes, I always thought that having 500 chances to complete a set was easier than maybe 10-15 chances. Just how difficult is it to find a same-numbered set? Aren't there about 60-70 of those sets sitting around the world? How many Publisher's Copy sets? I'm just a novice in this field so please forgive my naivete.
    Personally I love PCs, have a few in my collection. Is it harder to get a complete numbered set or PC set? Depends how you look at it. If there were only 5 PC sets made but 500 limited, PCs are much harder ... but if looking for a specific number then that too presents it's own challenge. I'd love to have a complete set of PCs for DT, but they come up for sale few and far between. On the other hand, I could buy a complete set of matching numbered DTs any day of the week provided I had the cash to shell out. JMO.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Calm down. You asked for opinions and you received them. I don't see where anyone inferred you were a hillbilly.
    As for same numbered sets, there are confirmed to be > 60 complete numbered sets and >6 complete PC sets.
    There are many definitions of a complete set. Some people think all numbers (letters) must match, others don't fret so much about the issue.
    I have DTII-DTVII + LSOE & TWTTK that all are #707. I could buy a DTI S/L anytime I wanted (as long as I have ~$5K handy). The DTI will never be #707, but if I'm happy, that's all that really matters.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Calm down. You asked for opinions and you received them. I don't see where anyone inferred you were a hillbilly.
    As for same numbered sets, there are confirmed to be > 60 complete numbered sets and >6 complete PC sets.
    There are many definitions of a complete set. Some people think all numbers (letters) must match, others don't fret so much about the issue.
    I have DTII-DTVII + LSOE & TWTTK that all are #707. I could buy a DTI S/L anytime I wanted (as long as I have ~$5K handy). The DTI will never be #707, but if I'm happy, that's all that really matters.
    Please read the posts again. I asked for no opinions and I accused no one of inferring I'm a hillbilly. I used JB math analogy to point out that 500 chances are better than 15. And I am calm -- just look at my mood!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Please read the posts again. I asked for no opinions and I accused no one of inferring I'm a hillbilly. I used JB math analogy to point out that 500 chances are better than 15. And I am calm -- just look at my mood!!!
    Ok.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    In Johnny007's defense, he did not say a same number set, just a complete numbered set. One could have a "complete" set of all the books made up of various numbers.

Still, I disagree about the value of a PC set. I'd much rather have a complete set of random numbers than an all-PC set. I wouldn't buy a PC set for 50 cents on the dollar. Hell, probably not for 20 cents on the dollar. At least not to keep. Maybe if I knew I could sell it to someone who actually likes PC copies.
    I think your view is on the extreme side.

I agree that PC editions are not for everyone, but I believe they only sell for maybe 10-20% less than numbered editions.

This is one of those debates that makes no sense to me....

Why is a PC edition worth less than a numbered copy?...and for that matter...is it?

Just like high and low numbers......some knucklehead started perpetuating the myth that book #2 is somehow worth more than book #498...I just don't get it.

If you poll 100 members here, and asked them if they would have #2 or #498, they would either answer "#2" or "I don't care"...but nobody would say "give me #498" (unless that was "their number").

Why?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

I agree it is an extreme view. But I was only reflecting my opinion, not trying to set a general scale. To me (and only speaking for me), a PC set is so far down in value (again, to me) that I would never be happy having it on the shelf. I'd always refer to it as "that damned PC set."

As far as specific numbers go for non-DT books, I could give a rat's ass. Every time I've had the opportunity (CD, SP, whatever) to pick a number, I've declined. Any number is as good as another as far as I'm concerned. I have NO desire to have books "match up," other than the DT books, and that's manly due to Grant's marketing genius and perceived value of others.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as specific numbers go for non-DT books, I could give a rat's ass. Every time I've had the opportunity (CD, SP, whatever) to pick a number, I've declined. Any number is as good as another as far as I'm concerned. I have NO desire to have books "match up," other than the DT books, and that's manly due to Grant's marketing genius and perceived value of others.
    I am right there with you on the number thing. I just order, and what I get is what I get. I figure if I'm not bothering the publisher, that gives them more time to help people that need a specific number (unless it's the one I randomly received -last book was #1 )

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree it is an extreme view. But I was only reflecting my opinion, not trying to set a general scale. To me (and only speaking for me), a PC set is so far down in value (again, to me) that I would never be happy having it on the shelf. I'd always refer to it as "that damned PC set."

And I misunderstood your comment to include all S/Ls (not just Dark Tower)....and on top of that, thought you meant as a rule vs. your opinion.

I really should learn to read.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I really should learn to read.
    Don't feel bad. I was supposed to learn another language, but I'm still working on English. Reading comes next.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that having 500 chances to complete a set was easier than maybe 10-15 chances. Just how difficult is it to find a same-numbered set? Aren't there about 60-70 of those sets sitting around the world? How many Publisher's Copy sets? I'm just a novice in this field so please forgive my naivete.
    I agree with you. I tried to make this point several months ago (that the number 12 was less than the number 500) but some seemed to not believe it.

I seem to value "PC" editions more than most other collectors. One of my collecting goals was to get every King book in every state possible. That often meant getting a numbered S/L, a lettered S/L and PC copies of both the numbered and lettered states. I can tell you from my experiences that it was usually harder (and often more expensive) to get the PCs. There are relatively few available for collectors.

Now, if I wasn't trying to get all of the possible states and only wanted one example of the book I would definitely want a numbered edition vs. a PC edition (or a lettered edition vs. a PC of the lettered edition). But if you want them all you have to search much harder as PCs can be very difficult to find. I only got my PC of Grant's edition of Desperation three or four months ago. I have no idea why it was so difficult for me to find one (without spending $600).

My PC set of DT books is one of the gems in my collection (IMO, anyway). I think if I had to sell a set I would sell my matching numbered set before I would sell the PC set.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. (Sly and the Family Stone, 1969)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Study the words from sensei
    先生

The are true.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I always thought that having 500 chances to complete a set was easier than maybe 10-15 chances. Just how difficult is it to find a same-numbered set? Aren't there about 60-70 of those sets sitting around the world? How many Publisher's Copy sets? I'm just a novice in this field so please forgive my naivete.
    The books are the same. The difference is in the limitation. In your example there are 10-15 chances to build a PC set and only one for each discrete number. It is only after the complete sets are built that the 10-15 PC sets become more "rare" when compared to the entirety of non-PC complete number sets.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bob, you make make some good points.

Being the guy who started all this hooplah, I just wanted to point out I'm more interested in having signed limited editions of the books than in having a matching set. Now this particular set just happens to be matching PC copies and so I thought I'd try and gauge the value. PC vs Numbered isn't a concern for me, if the price was right and I believed I could cash out my investment if I needed to.

I think there might be some wriggle room in the $5k asking price for this particular set too, and the shipping is local so that has a positive spin for me too.

In the end I doubt I'll put in an offer, but I do appreciate all your comments, as it's been great food for thought either way.

Cheers!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I agree with you. I tried to make this point several months ago (that the number 12 was less than the number 500) but some seemed to not believe it.

I seem to value "PC" editions more than most other collectors. One of my collecting goals was to get every King book in every state possible. That often meant getting a numbered S/L, a lettered S/L and PC copies of both the numbered and lettered states. I can tell you from my experiences that it was usually harder (and often more expensive) to get the PCs. There are relatively few available for collectors.

Now, if I wasn't trying to get all of the possible states and only wanted one example of the book I would definitely want a numbered edition vs. a PC edition (or a lettered edition vs. a PC of the lettered edition). But if you want them all you have to search much harder as PCs can be very difficult to find. I only got my PC of Grant's edition of Desperation three or four months ago. I have no idea why it was so difficult for me to find one (without spending $600).

My PC set of DT books is one of the gems in my collection (IMO, anyway). I think if I had to sell a set I would sell my matching numbered set before I would sell the PC set.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. (Sly and the Family Stone, 1969)
    Hmmm, is "PC" really considered a "state"? I have always thought, from what I read here, that a "PC" is generally just a spare numbered/Lettered in case of shipping loss/damage. I realize that in some instances they are actually reserved for certain folk, Author, Artist, etc, which is why initially I thought they were cooler. Like an "inside" copy. I know different folks have different collecting rules, but hearing your take on the matter, Bob really means something. You're never too old to learn.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired

Hey what do you guys think a movie poster of Stand By Me that's signed by all the players - Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman, River Phoenix, Jerry O'Connell, Kiefer Sutherland, Richard Dreyfus, Rob Reiner, and the man himself, Stephen King would be worth?

I know a guy who knows I'm into SK and he has a friend with this poster. There is supposedly some kind of CoA and lifetime guarantee. I haven't seen it yet. What you think on value?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 388 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 ... LastLast