Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2016 HAVEN FUND RAISER - PRO'S/CON'S/THOUGHTS

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

HI Bill, to answer your actual question....

From my perspective it's definitely been more low key this year, which I know is a relief to one or two members here. The last two years were pretty full on, but IMHO very enjoyable because of it. In my experience charity collection has to be somewhat in your face in order for it to raise big bucks. If you put a sign up saying "please give to charity X by calling this number" you will get far less donations than if you had people walking up to you and explaining why the charity needs the money with a big bucket in their hands. Live Aid was a great example of this, the hunger aid charities had existed for years, but Live Aid put it right up in our face and people like Geldof passionately imploring people for money raised millions overnight. It's too easy to ignore needing charities, sometimes you need to be made to feel uncomfortable about your own personal wealth.

That having been said, this is an SK collector site and it is clear that the big ticket items that both RF and you make happen through huge amounts of work 'in the quiet months' are the ones that make the big $$$, how much longer that can be sustained I don't know.

just my 2c
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Seriously, I was inquiring as to the overall fundraiser this year. Better? The same? worse? with regard to marketing I suppose.
    It's definitely more low-key. I enjoyed the last few years a bit more, although I know it irritates some. Makes me worried that the high goal will be harder to reach.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple of doggy treats for Bill...or his dog.

( I LOVE spanking catfish!!)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the idea of the HF since it started (I think I contributed every year) but last two years it started to bother me a little. There were a lot of threads about it and even in those that weren't about it there were plenty of posts related (and I'm not talking about several member's signatures also mentioning it all the time). So I fully understand about the pressure mentioned before. It's like the HF was EVERYWHERE in the website. And after it ended...well...it was starting again immediately. Not as "crowded" as before, but there were already several posts about collecting stuff for next year, ideas, etc.

I'm not blind and I see the effort several members do to make it work. Contact artists to contribute, all the logistics involved, organize the auctions, etc. It surely demands a lot (of time and effort) and if when I work hard on things I like these to succeed. This year's HF is lower-key than the last year and I think the numbers shown prove it (no need to deny it) which also MAYBE shows that advertising is needed in order to reach the goal. And that's my big concern: Why do we need a goal? I personally don't see the point of it. Why don't just receive the donation and announce at the end how much was collected? It's the goal pressure I don't understand. Why do we need to reach 18K. If we reach 12K, isn't that good? Of course more is better but it's a fundraiser...the ammount collected is always the correct one.

I think there is an unnecesary pressure during the auctions ("this item can't sell below ***", "it'll depress me", etc)

There has been a huge improvement about the grand prize (it just can't get any better than what it is now...) but I'd like to know if a comparsion was made on what happens if instead of auctioning an item is included as prize of the giveaway. Let's say a remarqued Dameron. It usually goes for U$S 400? U$S500? What if instead of auctioning you open a giveaway for it where the number to apply costs U$S 20 (like the Florida 2015 event...). A test could be done and you might get the same amount of the auction (and I think it'd be more exciting for everyone actually). Also, you can put a target kinda similar to a kickstarter:

You get 4 items and announce the giveaway:
    If we get U$S 100 we giveaway a gift edition item
    If we get U$S 200 we giveaway a paperback signed
    If we get U$S 300 we giveaway a Revival signed
    If we get U$S 400 we giveaway a Dameron remarqued copy.

And people has to donate to get numbers for each "package of 4 items" (for example).

I think this would draw more attention than auctions. And if it happens to earn the same money, well...even better!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, thank you very much for your input!!! It's greatly appreciated, make no mistake.

JMHO, but you make some interesting points regarding the donation structure. Some may indeed work better as you suggest and some not. I think "testing" is a valid way to determine that fact. Perhaps, you can PM me a possible "test" for this year or next and run it? Report back the results? We would really appreciate any and all help we can get.

I'm sure, RF will want to have a "HF Board meeting" (lol) and discuss in further detail. Thanks again, Ari!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure thing. Let me catch the pendings in my jobs (today I'll probably be ready) and I'll send you a test.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2