Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Laws yes! M-O-O-N is a jewel in the rough M-O-O-N is a jewel in the rough M-O-O-N is a jewel in the rough M-O-O-N is a jewel in the rough M-O-O-N's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like fun. Sorry I'm late to it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by M-O-O-N View Post
    Sounds like fun. Sorry I'm late to it.
    Jump right in.

Thread #12 (2000-2004) will be going up tomorrow morning!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Since we've recently reached our goals in several of the long-ongoing threads (and Thread #2 is close to being finalized as well, while we're well past halfway in Thread #9), Thread #10 for the early to mid '90s will be going up tomorrow morning.

I have entire albums I want to nominate.
    What would those be? Offhand I can only think of Nirvana's Nevermind (not every song, but most need to be nominated).
    Interesting, I seem to recall being criticised by another member for trying to push through more than four U2 songs in thread 9.... Something to do with variety?

Yet I notice that thread 7 has a total of 8 songs by Pink Floyd and now people are discussing nominating entire albums in thread 10.

Not cool.
    Four WHOLE U2 songs!!!???!!!

You BASTARD!!! Do you hook fake air lines to the shower heads of elderly Jewish folks???!!??
    * hides his Maiden albums*
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    One thing I thought would be fun would be to give all "active participants" one nuke button. Not per thread, but one for the contest. One song you just hate so much you could nuke it from orbit. There are a couple of songs I just hate with a passion. Two I can think of for sure are million-sellers but neither has been nominated so far (thank god). However, I don't know how you could determine who was active enough to get that privilege, as opposed to the person who posted once or twice zapping a song out of the contest. But it's fun to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

And also, divemaster, what are the two million-sellers you would "nuke" as mentioned above?
    I like so much of Elton John's work (with the exception of one song that makes me want to stab out my eardrums with an icepick). Even the songs that make no lyrical sense are still captivating.
    Ok, so one of the songs I would use my nuke button for is...Benny and the Jets.

The other would be any song from Peter Frampton. Meaning, anything from Frampton Comes Alive!, which is the only Frampton stuff I'm familiar with from what they play on classic rock stations. From everything I hear, Frampton is truly a nice guy and very personable. But I can't tell you how much I hate those songs. I'll start to hear Do You Feel Like We Do, and immediately switch over to the sports talk station. Then, like a half hour later, I'll switch back over to the classic rock station and that damn song is still playing! (LOL; I exaggerate--but not by much).

I can probably come up with a couple more. Band on the Run would be close. Oh, and from my country music days...Islands in the Stream.
    I don't really like any of those either, except Islands in the Stream

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've started to notice as we get into the late 90s and 2000's it's getting more difficult to determine the release date of some songs. Digital downloads became a thing. Sometimes singles were released digitally months before the actual album.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I've started to notice as we get into the late 90s and 2000's it's getting more difficult to determine the release date of some songs. Digital downloads became a thing. Sometimes singles were released digitally months before the actual album.
    That's true for the last ten or so years, yeah. A lot of the lesser known stuff is also not on Wikipedia (not that that's a 100% reliable source), but I also check Discogs (usually reliable), and just plain ol' Google.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Where does this go?????

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a question for y'all: Would you like to start the voting process now or prefer to wait until the nomination process is complete? The reason I ask is because as outlined earlier, this will be a very long tournament, but I'm fully dedicated to see it through. However, since it is so long, we can actually start voting on the earlier decades while finalizing the nominees for the 2000s, since it will take us about a month to vote on the polls from the 1940s to the 1990s. The downside being, of course, confusion, and the need to vote in numerous polls in addition to whittling down our list of nominees. I can see pros and cons in both, so wanted to see what others thought. If everyone's okay with taking our time and knocking out the remaining nominations, that's cool. I'm leaning towards that myself, but I can understand if some of you wish we were already voting on these.

P.S.: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony can be nominated when we do 1820-1824

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IMHO I think it's best to start voting, only when all the nominations are complete.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I vote to wait until all done with noms.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh what do you know?!?! You have a chick as your AV!!

Yeah.. let's clear the threads as much as we can B4 voting.

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good, folks. Since we are nearing the end in Thread #11 and about halfway through Thread #12, the last two threads will be going up Friday morning

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Oh what do you know?!?! You have a chick as your AV!!
    Oh yes. Yes I do. A finely attractive chick who is very pleasing to the eye.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm also game for waiting until the nominations are complete before we do voting.

Also: I'm finding it hard to nominate much past 2000 since most newer music is junk.

Country
    Country Flag

Have you checked out acclaimedmusic.net and tsort.info yet? Very useful sites for looking up songs for a given year.

Country
    Country Flag

My hope is for the nominations to be finished by the end of this month or very early next month, because the target start date for the tournament is March 7. The nominations and secondings, however, seem to have slowed a little in the last few days. I'm hoping we can power through these. This doesn't mean I want everyone to second everything in sight and nominate random stuff, but I'm hoping it's not that the more recent music is not as popular as the '80s and '90s, which seemed to generate the most interest, understandably so. There is still a lot of great music of all kinds from the last 15 years to nominate, so hopefully we will be able to do this in the next couple of weeks, if we all put our minds to it. Because then the real fun begins! I've already got the (very numerous) groups set up and it will be a doozy, I can tell you now! Very competitive with pretty much every nomination at least being good if not great. It will be loads of fun. Cannot wait!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've got tons of stuff to nominate in the current threads. Just need to get a few more people going so I can get them in.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh!!

I had not considered that the later eras may bring in the younger Folks!!

Country
    Country Flag

Since the action has slowed down the last week or two, if nobody minds we'll set the waiting period for seconding at one (1) and keep the waiting period for nominations at two (2). I'll make it official later on today if everyone's okay with it. Just trying to spur some activity and get us closer to voting!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

That's fine with me pablo. What would really speed things up is if we could second our own nominations.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

How about two nominations in a row?

Country
    Country Flag

The problem isn't lack of nominations. We've got tons of those. It's lack of secondings.

Country
    Country Flag

So since nobody minds it, secondings are as of now on a waiting period of one.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem isn't lack of nominations. We've got tons of those. It's lack of secondings.
    Ummmm... yeah... but without nominations, there are no seconds.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But my point is....those of us with limited time online may only get to nominate or second one song per category a week.

The '95-'99 thread filled so fast with nominations it made my head spin. In the '00-'04 thread, we made it over 80 seconded until two very impactful songs (Disturbed's - Down With the Sickness and Drowning Pool's -Bodies) were even mentioned.

(I am no particular fan of either band, but I think the impact of those two songs was worthy of consideration LONG before 80 seconds. To that point, neither song was even nominated. Due to my limited online time,I felt I had to break the rule {I nominated these two in a row} to get such songs even for consideration.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast