Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers on HBO

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Leftovers on HBO

It's a great show. I've been watching it during every spare moment I have had over the last week. I'm on season 3. Episode 2. I love the show. The choice of music is so smart. Seems completely out of place, and perfectly placed at the same time.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, I hate to say it and it kind of pisses me off, but after the last episode I am like, WTF is going on"!!!!! LOL I mean I have always been fairly intuitive and I'd like to think intelligent, but I'm just not getting it yet, everyone proclaims what a great show it is. Don't get me wrong I look forward to every episode, but I'm just at a loss and I hate it!!!

Anyone feels they can clue me in I'd be happy to stand an education.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You know, I hate to say it and it kind of pisses me off, but after the last episode I am like, WTF is going on"!!!!! LOL I mean I have always been fairly intuitive and I'd like to think intelligent, but I'm just not getting it yet, everyone proclaims what a great show it is. Don't get me wrong I look forward to every episode, but I'm just at a loss and I hate it!!!

By last show, you are speaking about the most recent (second to last episode in the series finale)? You don't get what's going on? Dude!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The music plays such a big role in this show, which is amazing from a clue perspective. Another big clue from the last episode is:

Spoiler:
    the book he was writing in the beach hut
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was brilliant. I will be interested in how it all ends... next week!!! It is the series final. I hope to get answers.... but feel we may not...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post

By last show, you are speaking about the most recent (second to last episode in the series finale)? You don't get what's going on? Dude!

Well, I'm not stupid. I got some of the symbolism, but a lot of the episode just left me befuddled. I guess I just don't see what, Lindeloff is going for here. I have some "Lost" misgivings I suppose. I mean, he nukes the "hereafter" and the flood stops? WTF?

Plus, "Box" (from the night of...) is "God", but he doesn't give a crap? Or what? Like I said, I usually pride myself for being intuitive in these things, but this show somehow has me befuddled. IDK, maybe I'm losing it. lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm not stupid. I got some of the symbolism, but a lot of the episode just left me befuddled. I guess I just don't see what, Lindeloff is going for here. I have some "Lost" misgivings I suppose. I mean, he nukes the "hereafter" and the flood stops? WTF?
    How do we know it stopped the flood or not? How do we know there was even going to be a flood? Just because some seemingly crazy people said there was going to be one.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed the finale
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I did too. Although bummed the show has ended, I do feel good closure.

Spoiler:
    Not once did I consider that the departed were, in a parallel world, the ones that stayed and vice versa. Very cool.

WTB:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the final and am not sure how I feel about it.... I have to say I liked how they shot forward in time... BUT I did not feel closure. I did not feel that the answers given were good ones. I felt cheated to be honest.... and more so than his other so called cheat... LOST. I have SO many questions that will now never be answered. It was good BUT not good enough for me and the wife.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I watched the final and am not sure how I feel about it.... I have to say I liked how they shot forward in time... BUT I did not feel closure. I did not feel that the answers given were good ones. I felt cheated to be honest.... and more so than his other so called cheat... LOST. I have SO many questions that will now never be answered. It was good BUT not good enough for me and the wife.

Fucker, Lindelof did it again!!! "Nothing up my sleeve"!!! lol "Lost" redirect. He blows up a storyline and moves to the touching romantic ending, abandoning what he could not tie up. What was with, Holy Wayne and his kid? What was with "Savior Kevin"? Why did everyone "Depart" in the first place? WTF was that about in the end? etc. etc. Wrapped all the questions into a neat AR, destroyed them with a missile attack and then moved on to other things!!! I swore I wouldn't let that fucker get me again and yet!!! lol lol lol

All that being said, the episode was decent as was the "approved for all audiences" ending. Better than "Lost" for sure.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I did too. Although bummed the show has ended, I do feel good closure.

Spoiler:
    Not once did I consider that the departed were, in a parallel world, the ones that stayed and vice versa. Very cool.
    Of course, that's only true if
    Spoiler:
    you believe Nora's story. We only have her oral account, which may or may not be true.

I loved how the show ended. It was nothing short of beautiful.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished watching the finale this morning. I loved this show.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The whole AR for the departed and vice versus thing was kinda cool and in truth I would have been okay with no explanation regarding the phenomena at all. What pisses me off is that they suggest there is a grander scheme/plot and then just abandon it to tell the love story. Still it was a better way to end it than "Lost" I suppose.

Edit: To be fair, Damon may have wanted to tell a fuller tale, but HBO intervened to close it out earlier than anticipated from a plot aspect.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The whole AR for the departed and vice versus thing was kinda cool and in truth I would have been okay with no explanation regarding the phenomena at all. What pisses me off is that they suggest there is a grander scheme/plot and then just abandon it to tell the love story. Still it was a better way to end it than "Lost" I suppose.

Edit: To be fair, Damon may have wanted to tell a fuller tale, but HBO intervened to close it out earlier than anticipated from a plot aspect.
    I do agree we could have had more, even another season.

WTB:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In some respects, HBO can be fucked up in that regard. Remember, "Carnivale"? They killed that one due to low DVD sales and high production costs. At least they let them sort of wrap it up.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

In some respects, HBO can be fucked up in that regard. Remember, "Carnivale"? They killed that one due to low DVD sales and high production costs. At least they let them sort of wrap it up.
    Deadwood, too

I loved Carnivale. I was pole-axed when that show was cancelled.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Deadwood, too

I loved Carnivale. I was pole-axed when that show was cancelled.
    Yeah, I forgot "Deadwood". I too was disappointed when "Carnivale" went down. In fact, I was one of those that nagged them for the second season. Sometimes I just don't get the economics for a paid cable network.

That's why despite it's initial success I am cautious about. "WestWorld".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

This was the story Damon wanted to tell. He began mapping out the season by deciding what the end would be and worked backward from there. You have the option of believing there was no explanation for the phenomenon by deciding that Nora was lying--a perfectly valid interpretation.

For the creators, Nora was the crux of the series. She lost everyone, and tried to get over that loss, but couldn't. Not until she either did what she says she did, or came up with a convincing story to delude herself. Kevin's offer of belief closed the circle. Then she could smile and look genuinely happy, at long last.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anybody that thought they were going to explain why everybody disappeared hasn't been paying attention. I've been certain since day 1 that they were never going to explain why or how it happened. It betrays the whole spirit of the show.

As for the grander scheme plot, it wasn't abandoned at all. You missed the whole point of the show. Sometimes shit happens. Bad shit and there's literallly no explanation for it. There's no grand plan, there's no grand scheme. It just happens. That's life.

As for the finale, I thought it was perfect. Honestly, I've never had a show completely change my opinion so drastically. Honestly, I suffered through season 1. I almost bailed, but I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.

The funny thing is that early in season 1 the thought crossed my mind how it would be so cool if the world split and the other 2% were in some other world alone. That said, I don't believe Nora's story for one second. She came up with a story in order to bring closure to her life. I think this is one of those shows that is going to have a larger audience after it finishes. It deserves it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

This was the story Damon wanted to tell. He began mapping out the season by deciding what the end would be and worked backward from there. You have the option of believing there was no explanation for the phenomenon by deciding that Nora was lying--a perfectly valid interpretation.

For the creators, Nora was the crux of the series. She lost everyone, and tried to get over that loss, but couldn't. Not until she either did what she says she did, or came up with a convincing story to delude herself. Kevin's offer of belief closed the circle. Then she could smile and look genuinely happy, at long last.
    I thought you had said that he had no idea where he was going when he started the show?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I thought you had said that he had no idea where he was going when he started the show?
    True. My comments above pertain to the third season. He didn't even know there was going to be a third season until the end of season 2. But they mapped out season 3 after they were renewed knowing what the final scene was going to be (although they weren't sure at the time who Nora would be talking to -- that came a little later.) They called it the "Nora makes tea" scene.

Country
    Country Flag

True. My comments above pertain to the third season. He didn't even know there was going to be a third season until the end of season 2. But they mapped out season 3 after they were renewed knowing what the final scene was going to be (although they weren't sure at the time who Nora would be talking to -- that came a little later.) They called it the "Nora makes tea" scene.
    k, I was confused! Thanks Bev for the clarification my man
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Any time a writer creates something, he or she has got to have an idea of where they want things to go. It might be broad and not thought out, but I'd be willing to bet Damon had an idea where he wanted to take this story from the start.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Any time a writer creates something, he or she has got to have an idea of where they want things to go. It might be broad and not thought out, but I'd be willing to bet Damon had an idea where he wanted to take this story from the start.
    He didn't create the story, he adapted and finished it. Remember, this is an adaptation of Tom Perotta's novel who was also an Executive Producer and probably as much in the driver's seat as Lindelof (or at least not relegated to the back seat). Of course his novel answers even less questions and mainly covers stuff that occurred in season 1 not 2 and 3. Having read the original source material, it seems to me that Lindelof sure stayed very true to the adaption of Perotta's novel and also continued and ended the story in a satisfying matter, especially since the point of the whole thing is that no explanations are due anyone, life is mysterious and full of coincidence that we try to impart meaning to.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast