Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I like that SK constant reader!!

I'll give you this tip: my friend works for Netflix and was responsible for switching from the white on red to the red on white icon for phones and tablets. There was ridiculous research involved that suggested the white on red was too similar to YouTube and users would sometimes select the wrong app at a glance. You want something that you don't have to read/look at closely to identify the app. For that reason, I suggest you consider something REALLY simple for the icon image.

This is incredible and I am SO looking forward to using it! I've struggled with cataloging my King collection on shelfari, in word documents, etc. It will be incredibly nice to store it this way. And will we have the option to share our collections (I may have missed if it was already discussed) so next year's Secret Santa will be even more interesting?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Back to the basics.

Yes, that's the approach I was thinking too. SK initials.
    Or, something like this:

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I like that SK constant reader!!

I'll give you this tip: my friend works for Netflix and was responsible for switching from the white on red to the red on white icon for phones and tablets. There was ridiculous research involved that suggested the white on red was too similar to YouTube and users would sometimes select the wrong app at a glance. You want something that you don't have to read/look at closely to identify the app. For that reason, I suggest you consider something REALLY simple for the icon image.

This is incredible and I am SO looking forward to using it! I've struggled with cataloging my King collection on shelfari, in word documents, etc. It will be incredibly nice to store it this way. And will we have the option to share our collections (I may have missed if it was already discussed) so next year's Secret Santa will be even more interesting?
    Sharing is a future possibility. It requires central storage, syncing of data, etc. If i tried to deal with this now, nothing will ever get built.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the Ka sign. We could have Chadbournne draw one for us with his own slight twist. I think that would be CR safe. We could also have Chadbourne draw a Pennywise. Something like this would be very iconic:

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I decided to visit The Closet (Room 217) for inspiration. After spending quality time during my visit it hit me that my collection covers several authors, not just King. Therefore I decided to make my entry geared more towards a Book Tracker idea instead of directed at collecting just King.

I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stupid question, but what about doing a poll regarding :
    - if people here would be interested
    - what OS they have?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Stupid question, but what about doing a poll regarding :
    - if people here would be interested
    - what OS they have?
    Be my guest...

But it's being built in iOS and then Android
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I contacted Ray Russotto and he granted permission for us to use his King caricature. We can put it in for consideration.

Not sure the small version would work as an icon.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I redid the pic in my post. It may not be chosen, but at least we have permission to use it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I contacted Ray Russotto and he granted permission for us to use his King caricature. We can put it in for consideration.

Not sure the small version would work as an icon.

This seems like an excellent idea. Ties into the catalog as well obviously and says what you want to say regarding it being specific to, King. Ralph makes a good point as to it being generic to overall collecting. Glad I don't have to choose!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I love that drawing of King. I've always wanted a resin figure like that. Unrelated, I know.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Icons:

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Na. This could work for iBooks, Kindle and any other apps.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a total "Noob" when it comes to this stuff, but I would suppose that if it caught on you could make the icon "SK specific" and another more "My Collection" specific, no? I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly idea. I only have the most rudimentary understanding of this stuff.

Funny too, in that I used to own a top flight Telecom Co. and was always up to the minute on technology, until I retired. Sadly, I have aged ten fold since then in regard to "Tech". I am now the equivilant of a 150 year old when it comes to technology. Merlin IV is 2+ years old and he already plays with a smart phone!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Na. This could work for iBooks, Kindle and any other apps.
    It would say "King Books" underneath, or something else succinct. Do you have better images? Please share.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Icons:

I'm working on a similar icon with 'S' and 'K' on each of the open pages. I'll post it when done.

I decided to actually fire up Xcode and write something - VERY early days, but work HAS BEGUN!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Exciting! I'm here cheering you on!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

After reviewing all the threads, not very carefully, it is midnight after all......

did you say I could mark which first editions I have flat signed?

Can I record if I have duplicate copies and how many? I currently have 12 unsigned revivals. 8 dr sleep, stupid random signature grab bag events!

Will this include my sk paperback collection? Used bookstores love me, because I don't remember what I already bought!

My porno collection? Sk first appearances in adult magazines?

My red leather library collection? I never surf the net at work, but if I did this would come in handy!

sorry if this has already been covered.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

to those that are interested....

I posted about some app ideas in another thread and realized I hadn't updated this one in a while (It was all the way back on page 4! )

This project is very much alive and I am working on it whenever my work schedule allows. Since posting that WIP screenshot it I have been pretty busy (and the slipcase project was a little distracting too ). After a couple of abortive attempts where I was just playing with UI, I finally got round to seriously thinking how this whole app and the updating of the underlying data would work. If you have no interest in how the mechanics of this are put together and just "want a frickin app where I can track my books right now!" then feel free to go and read something more interesting, I'll let you know when its done.

so here is my plan.

1. All data used by the app will be structured as JSON data (if you don't know what JSON is then look here - it's basically a structured file that is readable by software applications).
    2. I plan to have multiple data files. So far I have identified the following:
    a) All US 1st Editions
    b) All UK 1st Editions
    c) All Bachman Books
    d) All US Signed Limiteds
    e) All UK Signed Limiteds
    f) All US Gift Editions
    g) All UK Gift Editions
    h All proofs

Why all the separate files? Well the idea is that different people collect different things and may not want a huge amount of data to constantly sort through, filter, search, etc. When you open the app for the first time, you will have the opportunity to select which books you want to track and only those files will be downloaded and stored by the app. If at a later date you start collecting say, proofs, then you can just go back and tick that box and voila now you have the data for proofs!

It also means I can add to the files as new books are released (the app will be notified when there is a new version of the file and will download the updates).
    Potentially I will be able to add whole new files as well, so for those of you that collect other non UK or US editions (or maybe paperbacks or Red Library editions to answer RosanneBarr's question), you should be able to create a file and send it to me for inclusion. I also have plans to include books about King as a separate file as well.

The files will be stored on a server in the cloud.JSON files are tiny so download will be fast. I will also store all of the book images in my cloud storage as well. By default All you will get is the small book cover that you see in the list and the overview. You will be able to tick a setting to also have the larger book images (Cover, back, spine, left inner DJ
    , Right Inner DJ and CP page) downloaded as well. This is obviously for people who are concerned with space on their device.

To be clear, this data is only downloaded once, from that point it is all stored locally on the device, so it will work even when you have no data connection.

I am working on getting certain features working fully before moving on to the next piece of functionality, this (very roughly) breaks down into:

1. Define the JSON structure (basically done, but will undoubtably change as I think of new things to add)
    2. Proof the mechanism to download separate files and associated images (done)
    3. Create the main book list and detail screen to show info for each book (80%)
    4. Create the screens to show the cover Images (50%)
    5. Add the filters to the Book list
    6. Add the menu option to search and filter
    Phase 1 complete. At this point I will have a fully working 'Catalog app' - this could be released for testing I'm not sure yet

Phase 2 is adding the functionality to add details of your own books. You will be able to add data on each copy you have as well as info on price paid, date acquired, condition, etc. (see screenshots posted earlier).

Phase 3 is just adding more functionality. I'd like to link to ebay, where you can see what copies of a particular book title are currently on sale (this would open up ebay on your device browser and pre-filter by key words). The idea of tracking signings for a book is a great one and I hope to include that. Pricing info was part of the original spec, but as there is no central source, it's difficult to know how that would work.

So there you have it folks, I'm pretty committed to getting this built. (at the very least in iOS). I plan to make it work on both iPhone and then iPad. Android will hopefully follow at the end of phase 2. If anyone has (or knows someone) with Android Development skills - get 'em on board! I am happy to share designs, thoughts, etc to get the Android version built in parallel!

Oh one more thing.... (see what I did there? RIP Steve Jobs )
    Creating these JSON files is gonna be a lot of work. Also the various Book Cover Images need to be created in a consistent size and manner. I'm hoping that the wider community will be able to help by taking responsibility for a set of books (maybe 20 or so) and physically typing in the required information. You wont need to know anything about JSON or programming, I will create a spreadsheet that you just need to populate. I will then take everybody's files and create the JSON from that. Let me know if you are willing to volunteer.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

a) All US 1st Editions
    b) All UK 1st Editions
    c) All Bachman Books
    f) All US Gift Editions
    g) All UK Gift Editions
    h All proofs
    Yeah! Who want's that foreign language shit anyway

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    a) All US 1st Editions
    b) All UK 1st Editions
    c) All Bachman Books
    f) All US Gift Editions
    g) All UK Gift Editions
    h All proofs
    Yeah! Who want's that foreign language shit anyway
    LOL! Foreign editions WILL be supported - but I won't necessarily be creating the file data! (US and UK is more than enough work right now ))

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'd be happy to help out. Great stuff!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll help. Hoping of course an Android app will appear down the road.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ummm...apparently I was too busy running around the eastern coast of the US and entertaining annoying relatives in late December to see this thread, but I LOVE IT!!!!! For years, I have been carrying a print-out of "Identifying 1st Editions" from King's website and more recently have begun carrying spreadsheets including information on what I own. It's a pain in the ass, to say the least! I am a technological nitwit, but I'll gladly volunteer to help gather info.

And Simon, you are awesome just for attempting this!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast