Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: About a potential next tournament

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not at all. There is lots of interesting discussion on the difference between suspense and thriller: https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...e+and+thriller

It mainly boils down to the fact that thrillers are action-oriented and suspense or mystery movies are not. One particular article breaks it down thus: Suspense/Mystery is "why" and "who". Thriller is "how". Doesn't mean there can't be elements of each in one movie, like Alien is horror/sci-fi, but to me a suspense film and a thriller are different. But maybe that's just me...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So Gone Girl is action oriented? Thriller and Suspense are two sides of the same coin but the value of the coin is the same. Just two slightly different methods on achieving the same end. Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Science Fiction, are the genres of film: everything else is just subsets of these. Though things like Westerns are their own genre, I think Westerns and War films as a sub-genre of Action, and though this link disagrees with that, it does agree thriller-suspense are the same thing. Surprised with your Fincher examples you didn't say Se7en, which is his definitive thriller/suspense.

http://www.filmsite.org/filmgenres.html
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Well when you get right down to the nitty gritty, everything can be either a tragedy or a comedy, there's also the idea that there are only about five or six stories; success, failure, love, revenge, quest for meaning/god etc.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe Gone Girl isn't the best example, I agree. And most will just lump suspense and thrillers together. But then we'd have to call Hitch the Master of Thriller.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Michael Jackson was the Master of Thriller.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Maybe Gone Girl isn't the best example, I agree. And most will just lump suspense and thrillers together. But then we'd have to call Hitch the Master of Thriller.
    His movies were Thrillers for the time period. Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo, Rebecca...all thrillers, just some more methodical and latent in the thrills than others.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    So Gone Girl is action oriented? Thriller and Suspense are two sides of the same coin but the value of the coin is the same.

Country
    Country Flag

Rear Window is the epitome of suspense. And most other Hitchcock films. Can you really call Rope a thriller? There's almost no action whatsoever.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Rear Window is the epitome of suspense. And most other Hitchcock films. Can you really call Rope a thriller? There's almost no action whatsoever.
    Plenty of talk about strangling chickens though

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I always put suspense and mystery together, because often in a thriller there is no mystery. So to me the distinction is with suspense/mystery something happened or could happen, but you're not sure what, and in a thriller it happened or is happening in plain sight.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't seen Rope. Suspense is just a tool for thrillers. I don't consider any film a suspense film. Suspense is just tension, and tension is used to build an eventual thrilling payoff, which Rear Window definitely has. Just because Hitchcock is the Master of Thrillers doesn't mean all his movies are thrillers. That's like saying because Stephen King can't be the Master of Horror because of Shawshank Redemption.

Country
    Country Flag

There's suspense in everything, it's an essential part of drama. But a suspense/mystery film is not everything, it's a specific genre, I believe,

He may have a point pablo, all the films mentioned here are classified as Thrillers on IMDB, even Rope, although most have other classifications such as crime, mystery, horror etc. but I haven't found any listed as suspense

edit: suspense is not a genre listed on IMDB but Thriller is

Country
    Country Flag

RT lists Rope as: Drama, Mystery & Suspense.

Genres listed on IMDB:

Action
    Adventure
    Animation
    Biography
    Comedy
    Crime
    Documentary
    Drama
    Family
    Fantasy
    Film-Noir
    History
    Horror
    Music
    Musical
    Mystery
    Romance
    Sci-Fi
    Sport
    Thriller
    War
    Western

Country
    Country Flag

IMDB is not the end-all of movie encyclopedias (it lists as genres things that aren't technically a genre, like Animation or Documentary). Though you could expand "Mystery" to be "Mystery/Suspense". Here's Paramount Pictures with their list: http://www.paramount.com/theatrical-...stery-suspense

IMDB is not the end-all of movie encyclopedias
    Never claimed it was but it is a large tool that we all use and shouldn't be dismissed, I do also agree with you about Mystery and Suspense but I have to ask myself, If you took the suspense part away and those movies are just listed as Mystery, would there be a very big difference?

Country
    Country Flag

I think so. Take Rope as an example again. There's no mystery, we know whodunnit. There is suspense though, because we don't know how or if they'll get away with it.

good point, but then it could be called a thriller and we are back where we started.

The original tagline for Rope was "It's his most nerve-stretching thriller!"

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

But still pablo, it's Mystery & Suspense, not Mystery, Suspense. That just means Suspense is a subgenre of mystery which is a subgenre of thriller and/or crime, which is a subgenre of action and/or drama. Suspense is a quality of a film, not the genre. If suspense is a genre than 90% of reality TV is considered suspense television.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Next tourney should be best animated film.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I could do this, but even animation is just a type of medium.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    That sounds even better.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm fine with how we did the nominations last time, unless we do worst movie. Like I mentioned above, it will have to be tweaked for that.

How would you guys feel about smaller tournaments to bridge the gap between the larger ones? I'm thinking along the lines of specific sub-genres like best war movie, best prison movie, best heist movie, best disaster movie and there are tons more that are interesting, but wouldn't take long to do.

I know not everybody is into sports, but I'd love to do a best sports movie tournament.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is way way too early, but I'm really looking forward to doing a suspense/mystery tournament and a thriller tournament. Because these two genres often overlap, it will be a pretty fascinating and contentious (hopefully in a good way) process that could be real fun. But to make things easy maybe the next one should be action.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Idk... grouping those two separately will be splitting hairs. Shit, we had a hard enough time separating Horror and Sci-Fi, it might be next to impossible to extract these two.
    Well, that's the fun part! For me, suspense is more cerebral, less actiony. Like Rear Window, probably the best suspense/mystery film. On the other hand, movies like Fight Club or Gone Girl are thrillers, in my view. So the discussions will be meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Thriller/Suspense are the same genre.
    This tournament will probably take us into May anyway so no worries. And any new tournament wouldn't be held right away. As far as tweaking the nominating process, I'm all for that, but I think it worked pretty well this time around, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Well when you get right down to the nitty gritty, everything can be either a tragedy or a comedy, there's also the idea that there are only about five or six stories; success, failure, love, revenge, quest for meaning/god etc.
    Look, I am fully aware that my opinion carries little weight in this neck of the woods (or the site for that matter), but some of the above banter is exactly my point. I get that some of you enjoy the back and forth quite a bit, but I feel it gets to an extreme. IMHO you should really tighten the definition of each individual genre and then have the nomination process strictly adhere to it. If I recall, BTTF was up for best comedy and Sci-Fi!!! Pick one!! Sure it's a comedy utilizing a Sci-Fi premise, but if you're going to include it in a "Best of" contest you need to firmly decide which one it truly qualifies as an entry. Otherwise, your voting, as much fun and enjoyment as may you get out of it, is totally worthless with regard to any true gauge of the films competing. JMHO and FWIW to consider going forward.

Also, as in most sports, it is very difficult to truly gauge a "Best of all time film & category". Just as in sports, the times, technology and evolution make a lot of comparison's unfair. Take Sci-Fi for instance, you cannot even begin to account for advances in movie making in Avatar as compared to say, Forbidden Planet. Therefore, it may be best to have the films compete somewhat "Generationally" so to speak, that way you pit them fairly against their peers at the time. Maybe every 20 or 25 years? for instance.

Again, just food for thought. I'm not telling anyone how to run the show just making some suggestions, IMHO on how to improve the process.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast