Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
Well those films do not stand the test of time and with a contemporary viewing, they look very dated and clichéd.
These films only look cliche because they came first i.e. everything else borrowed from them. The Day The Earth Stood Still is fantastic and the remake was a blight to mankind. As as for being dated, all films from the 50's etc. look dated. Are you saying fantastic film like Rebecca, All About Eve or The Apartment (Best Pictures winners from 1940, 1950, 1960) are dated, which make them inferior films?
Those films were great in their own time but their impact diminished as cinema evolved. It's not just the photography or set design that makes these films dated, it's also the style of acting. Can you honestly say that the acting in Rebecca is as good as the acting in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)? Personally, I think the acting in Rebecca comes across as wooden and stilted when compared to such a film. Or how about comparing the sweeping visual grandeur of Out of Africa (1985) against the simplistic tableau of All About Eve - which of the two has more impact? Or the raw emotion and narrative drive of Braveheart (1995) compared to the lack of such substance in The Apartment - which of those two has the bigger impact?

Best Picture films of the 40's, 50's and 60's just cannot compare to Best Picture films of the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Saying Laurence Olivier is wooden and stilted is an insult to film. Rebeccas is one of the most brooding films I've ever seen, and covering some very twisted subject matter for it's time. All About Eve featured some of the best talent of it's time going at each othe. Bette Davis one of the best her generation. Paths of Glory has some the most poignant scenes in all of film, more poignant than Braveheart. Next you'll say Some Like It Hot, one of the best comedies ever, isn't funny. To write off older films because of the stage film was in when they were made is like saying Beethoven is boring because there were no wicked guitar solos or lacked a great beat, or Pride and Prejudice wouldnt feel as dated if the Bennet Sisters could text each other or cave paintings would be cooler if they were computer animated.