Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I wasn't too impressed either.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love satire. The violence of Dredd is akin to that in Unforgiven. Regarded independently, the film is still not as good as Robocop. But Judge Dredd (1995) is not even as good as Robocop 2. One of the problems with the Stallone film was that it started playing with the fundamentals of the franchise too quickly. Dredd is a better adaptation, yet it is just a "day in the life" episode -- doesn't delve into how making police into judges is in fact a bad idea. That's why there needs to be a proper sequel.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    what films have you guys seen since the mini break?
    I was at my mom's yesterday and saw she had Source Code on DVD. I asked if I could borrow it and she gave me this look and said, "It's yours." Oops. I'll try to watch it before that bracket closes, I saved one vote.
    Depends on what kinds of films she likes. My mom wouldn't like a movie like Source Code. She doesn't really like Sci-Fi, so in her case I wouldn't be able to gauge whether or not I would like a film like Source Code based off her reaction. That's probably different in your case.

I really enjoyed it.
    I probably should've said that differently. She meant it was mine, as in she borrowed it from me and I completely forgot I even had it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Okay, so I saw "Dredd" today. Better than the Stallone version, but not by too much. I guess I am just not a fan of the storyline/premise. Still pretty good shoot 'em up. Definitely Sci-Fi
    "Not by too much"? Dude, it's leagues better! There's no Stallone or Schneider in Dredd - that's a huge improvement right there!

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I love satire. The violence of Dredd is akin to that in Unforgiven. Regarded independently, the film is still not as good as Robocop. But Judge Dredd (1995) is not even as good as Robocop 2. One of the problems with the Stallone film was that it started playing with the fundamentals of the franchise too quickly. Dredd is a better adaptation, yet it is just a "day in the life" episode -- doesn't delve into how making police into judges is in fact a bad idea. That's why there needs to be a proper sequel.
    Perfectly stated my feelings on both adaptations, Mike, particularly the mistake in Judge Dredd playing with the fundamentals of the character too quickly. One of my favourite storylines in the comic is Dredd becoming disillusioned with the system for a long period before quitting and eventually returning to Mega-City 1 with a stronger belief in the Law than ever, but that only really pays off after years of knowing how much of an uncompromising asshole Judge Dredd is. For the Stallone film, it was definitely too soon to have him asking himself any questions regarding the Law (especially because of the "wisdom" of Rob fucking Schneider!), so I was definitely pleased with the 'day in the life' approach in the new film (which wouldn't have worked quite as well if it weren't for the introduction of Anderson, which was a really neat storytelling device of seeing through her eyes while also developing her a great deal both as a character and a Judge). Also glad how you summed up why there needs to be a sequel (and why there's such a huge demand for one compared to so many films out there). Agreed that it's not as good as RoboCop, but still a damn good scifi-film and a refreshingly different comic book movie.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

IS DREDD REALY JUST A RIPOFF OF

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Considering it was in production in 2010 and even had its script leaked in July 2010 as 'Peach Trees', no, I don't think its likely that Dredd ripped off The Raid.

- Melike

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Okay, so I saw "Dredd" today. Better than the Stallone version, but not by too much. I guess I am just not a fan of the storyline/premise. Still pretty good shoot 'em up. Definitely Sci-Fi
    "Not by too much"? Dude, it's leagues better! There's no Stallone or Schneider in Dredd - that's a huge improvement right there!
    Actually, there were a few moments there where I thought, Urban was channeling, Stallone (Ducks to avoid the plate being thrown at my head). It definitely was a better film than the other, grittier and better use of FX, but I just don't see it as a "Sci-Fi Tentpole" so to speak. Also, the repeated "Slo-Mo" was a little much at times, but I understand it's use with regard to the plot. What I really liked, surprisingly, was the addition of the "Rookie" and her talent, both in the film and as an actress. Bear in mind, I have never read the comic, so I go in with no outside influences.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, I was pleased about the rookie character Anderson too - she's a major character in the comics, but I liked how it was essentially her story more than Dredd's - we see through her eyes what a day in the life of a Judge is like and we also see her gradually become more badass too. I was skeptical of Thirlby as Anderson, in fact, I was skeptical of Urban as Dredd, originally, but both played their parts really well. Other than the frown (which is, essentially, Dredd's trademark, probably the only thing Stallone got right), I don't see much of Stallone in Urban's performance. If anything, I saw it more as Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry influenced. Which considering that's what Dredd was originally supposed to be in the first place, definitely shows how much Urban nailed it. And not just because he actually wore the helmet the whole time, as well.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

"Not by too much"? Dude, it's leagues better!
    MUCH better.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of sci fi, can't freaking wait for this

Interstellar

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I like Knowing far more than I thought I would.
    It's more like Dark City than National Treasure, really.
    Listening to the commentary track, the director continually refers to the whisperers in this film as "the strangers." Even though he didn't write this one, I find that interesting. Funny that it is overtly about everything having design, whereas Dark City has opposite themes about the value of free will.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen Knowing. I've heard mixed things, more good than bad I think but it came out in the midst of the 'Nic Cage is a mockery of himself' phase of his career which was a big turn off, kind of like when I see the name 'Johnny Depp' I throw up in my mouth a bit.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I haven't seen Knowing. I've heard mixed things, more good than bad I think but it came out in the midst of the 'Nic Cage is a mockery of himself' phase of his career which was a big turn off, kind of like when I see the name 'Johnny Depp' I throw up in my mouth a bit.
    I felt the same. Exactly why I didn't watch it before now.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooo it's worth adding it to my queue then?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Audio commentaries are sometimes a pretty nice advantage of DVD rental over a standard download or streaming service. The track I heard on this copy of Knowing is particularly unusual - the director has an anonymous interviewer who seems really critical. Most commentaries I've listened to are all people involved in the production sharing stories or at most gently pitching questions to one another set up to easily add justification to the work. Here, though, Proyas takes serious challenges to his creative choices. Not that they're asked in a mean way; it's just franker than I'd expect from a bonus feature put out by the same studio. The free will issue is addressed, and so is artistic license versus scientific credibility. I don't want to give the impression to you folks that I recommend this movie unreservedly -- it has several flaws, and it's still rather corny. Just not as palpably as I thought. You have to kind of respect Proyas's deliberate effort to let the audience use their own intelligence.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I'm certainly intrigued now, that's for sure. I think I'll go ahead and add it to my list.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Knowing is kind of a mixed bag, but I remember enjoying it when I went to see it. Pretty suspenseful and really good effects/action sequences. If anything, it's one of the few movies that had the guts to
    Spoiler:
    kill off all its main characters and destroy the entire world.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed that (Dredd)'s not as good as RoboCop, but still a damn good scifi-film and a refreshingly different comic book movie.
    Well, not only does the first film brilliantly lampoon the media with its interspersed faux broadcast clips AND aptly target social problems by dramatizing privatization of public services in Detroit, (which has presently begun to be more reality than sci-fi) it is also one of the best origin stories ever -- an enforcer who's not practically inhuman through his own choice, but who had his humanity suppressed by evil experiments.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And you also have the speculative aspect of what it would be like for a CPU and its imperatives to be grafted onto a human consciousness and the struggle for one to override the other.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    And you also have the speculative aspect of what it would be like for a CPU and its imperatives to be grafted onto a human consciousness and the struggle for one to override the other.
    Great ending, isn't it? Good endings are rare and wonderful. Never needed sequels.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Completely agreed with both of you, Mike and Fernando. The last words he says at the end are absolutely a perfect way to end the story.

- Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir. I was just recently reminded how some stories are built around personal change, thought you might like the example. But despite appreciating that fine little drama, my favorite part is still the sociological aspects, where Judge Dredd as a whole has the edge. (Not to go off-topic.) BTW, when is the RoboCop remake coming out? I know nothing about that, except my guess that it will bite.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's already been released, Mike! On blu-ray! Cinema release was months back. And no, I haven't seen it yet, either.

- Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Knowing is kind of a mixed bag, but I remember enjoying it when I went to see it. Pretty suspenseful and really good effects/action sequences. If anything, it's one of the few movies that had the guts to
    Spoiler:
    kill off all its main characters and destroy the entire world.
    Here people have been remarking on your statements that you'd never seen Star Wars, never seen BTTF, & so on, but I let that all pass 'cause I've known others who just didn't watch much sci-fi. Now, tho, I suddenly remembered this, how you seem to be the only one of us who watched Knowing before. So after all, I guess it is remarkable.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The last two groups in Phase 2 were posted this morning. This is how the groups played out :

Group A
    Akira
    Cocoon
    Contact
    Dredd
    Independence Day
    Men In Black
    Them
    Total Recall

Group B
    Back to the Future I
    Children of Men
    Demolition Man
    District 9
    Source Code
    Starship Troopers
    Sunshine
    Time Bandits

Group C
    Blade Runner
    Chronicle
    Frankenstein
    Ghostbusters
    Pi
    The Thing
    War of the Worlds 1953
    X-Men : Days of Future Past

Group D
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Gojira
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978]
    The Abyss
    The Fifth Element
    The Matrix
    Vanilla Sky

Group E
    Artificial Intelligence
    Event Horizon
    Gattaca
    Waterworld
    Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back
    Twelve Monkeys
    The Invisible Man

Group F
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    Le Voyage dans la Lune
    Looper
    Solaris
    Sphere
    Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    Terminator 2
    Wall-E

Group G
    ET the Extra-Terrestrial
    Ghost in the Shell
    Robocop
    The Butterfly Effect
    The Road Warrior
    Village of the Damned
    War of the Worlds (2005)
    Metropolis

Group H
    Aliens
    Back to the Future III
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Dark City
    Island of Lost Souls
    The Cell
    The Fly
    The Time Machine

Group I
    2001 : A Space Odyssey
    Donnie Darko
    Fire in the Sky
    Forbidden Planet
    Planet of the Apes
    Predator
    Super 8
    Videodrome

Group J
    Alien
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Escape From New York
    Mimic
    Minority Report
    Serenity
    Somewhere in Time
    Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

Group K
    A Clockwork Orange
    Altered States
    Cube
    Jacob's Ladder
    Jurassic Park
    Mad Max
    Pitch Black
    The Day The Earth Stood Still

Group L
    Gravity
    Inception
    Moon
    Soylent Green
    Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope
    The Fountain
    The Mist

The final two groups will be closing a week from today, at which point the sorting for Phase 3 will begin. Happy voting!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast