Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: The 'Salem's Lot Shrinking Running Time Conspiracy

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The 'Salem's Lot Shrinking Running Time Conspiracy

I still have my VHS tape that I taped off the air of the original mini-series and I wrote on it the running time of 210 minutes, both on the inside and on the spine of the case. Also, from the magazine, Cinefantastique, which had a cover story on 'Salem's Lot in the Winter 1979 issue which said that the mini-series was 4 hours (3 1/2 without ads).

In 1979, the film aired at 210 min.
    In 1993, a laserdisc was released at 193 min. (missing 17 minutes)
    In 1995, a VHS was released at 184 min. (missing 26 minutes)
    In 1999, a DVD was released at 183 min. (missing 27 minutes)

[I'm not counting the paired-down movie version that was made for international release]

Why does this movie's running time keep shrinking and when will we ever see the full 3 1/2 hour, 210 min. mini-series version on Blu-ray or DVD ever again?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You weren't supposed to find this.

You don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Trust me Mr. Skyofcrack, go back to your normal life and leave this alone. You won't like the answers that are brought to light.

*slowly closes door*
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

You don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Trust me Mr. Skyofcrack, go back to your normal life and leave this alone. You won't like the answers that are brought to light.

*slowly closes door*
    Okay, NOW I am intrigued!!! C'mon spill it SS!!!! Inquiring minds want to know!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

*slowly closes door*
    lol but stirring the shitstorm is my normal life and that's Sir skyofcrack to you.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's what I wrote in my essay about SL adaptations in Screem magazine:

The 200-minute miniseries was reduced to 150 minutes for a three-hour movie of the week for subsequent airings and further edited into a 112-minute version for European theaters and for domestic videocassette release. In these jumpy, cut-down versions, the fate of Susan Norton is lost completely and several characters’ storylines are reduced substantially.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Here's what I wrote in my essay about SL adaptations in Screem magazine:

The 200-minute miniseries was reduced to 150 minutes for a three-hour movie of the week for subsequent airings and further edited into a 112-minute version for European theaters and for domestic videocassette release. In these jumpy, cut-down versions, the fate of Susan Norton is lost completely and several characters’ storylines are reduced substantially.
    That's not the issue. The issue is the fact that 'Salem's Lot has been released as the complete mini-series over the years even though it's missing chunks of footage. The versions you're talking about were drastically cut down and re-named 'Salem's Lot: The Movie.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hmmm, you would think they would release a full length uncut version on dvd by now. I never knew it had been edited so much. Now I'm curious to watch the whole thing.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post

*slowly closes door*
    lol but stirring the shitstorm is my normal life and that's Sir skyofcrack to you.
    My apologies, my lord.

In all seriousness, it might be fun (and maybe a pain in the butt) to set up two TV's and play different versions to see what has been removed.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

*slowly closes door*
    My apologies, my lord.

In all seriousness, it might be fun (and maybe a pain in the butt) to set up two TV's and play different versions to see what has been removed.
    Come over, I'm equipped to play up to five versions at once!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

*slowly closes door*
    My apologies, my lord.

Come over, I'm equipped to play up to five versions at once!
    Ideally, yes, but my VCR, laserdisc and DVD players are in storage right now. All I have is my laptop.