Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which should be higher on the list?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

10 37.04%
  • The Lord of the Rings, by J.R. R.Tolkien

17 62.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Round 8-C: Dostoyevsky vs. J.R.R.Tolkien

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Round 8-C: Dostoyevsky vs. J.R.R.Tolkien

VS.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

C&P.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

... and now they tied

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

If Lord of the Rings wins I will burn this website to the ground.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    If Lord of the Rings wins I will burn this website to the ground.
    Simmer down now!!! I LOVE LOTR!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My eyes cannot accept what they are seeing right now. I'm almost offended by these results :/ Now I have to see Dostoesky lose to frackin' Harry Potter now too, don't I?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOTR is great, no doubt, and I have all those beautiful Tolkien deluxe editions but come on...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Books are emotive things. It's not always just about which is the better story or has the better writing. Factors such as the age you were when you read it first, who introduced you to or gave you the book, your emotional state at the time, etc all have a contributing factor to how you rate it personally. I read a book as a child called "The Phantom Tollbooth" (there was even an animated film made of it). Not a great book by anyones standards, but as a young kid I thought it was full of intelligent humour and concerned a solitary child which resonated with me personally. I have often looked for a really nice 1st edition, but alas nothing yet.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

But this shouldn't have anything to do with sentimentality. This is about the greatest novels, not most beloved novels.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Like I voted Animal Farm over The Old Man and the Sea because its the better novel, not because I love it more...I even put Animal Farm over Catcher In The Rye which I love so much.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    But this shouldn't have anything to do with sentimentality. This is about the greatest novels, not most beloved novels.
    I think many will find that a hard distinction to make. A lot of books on this list were nominated because they were peoples favourites. What makes them great is that others agree. The more they agree the higher they will go.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure we should differ "greatest" from "most loved".

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

C&P.
    Because I think it is a book that can make a lasting, profound, and even character-changing effect on the person who reads it. Regardless of age, gender, etc. Because the feelings and thoughts it touches upon sit way deeper within the personality than anything LOTR can ever reach.

Disclosure: I do not particularly like LOTR (call me biased ). Respect it for its magnitude and the ability to make hordes of people love it (all the way to wanting to LIVE it). It was a very difficult read for me, not because it was "uninteresting" per se, but because reading it felt like I was cruising it, not really having the feelings that a book *must* awaken to be considered great. For the record, read it at about the same age as C&P.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

wow!! Marina, you said exactly what I would have said - only better!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm honored, Jean. Thank you.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Me, too. Very well said. I'm not in favor of trying to divide "greatest" from "most loved," either, but LOTR is a work I really liked, not a work I really loved, and it seems to me that people need to think about that difference.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Mike.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well you can love a book that isn't particularily well written but isn't that what this is about? The best written books? In terms of the style and content of writing there is a gaping canyon between Dostoevsky and Tolkien. Favourite has nothing to do with quality, or at least not in all cases. There are films I love and can watch over and over again but I know they are not great, then there are films that are so good I have to wait years between viewings. I think Dostoevsky's best book is Brother Karamazov but Notes From Underground is my favourite and if I have to judge the greatness of one vs the other, which I do when it's called 'greatest novels' I look at them objectively side by side. Favourite for me is a word that denotes partiality where greatest doesn't. That's just how I vote on these things. Favourites can always change because we change but the quality of the work never changes, it is always the same and it's always great to re-visit art as we age because we will always see it even though it never actually changes.

I'm just thinking if a bunch of our members loved Twilight and Twilight was beating Dostoevsky...I'm getting chills just thinking about it lol

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The greatest works have partiality within them. If you set aside the personal viewpoint and try to asses writing unromantically, could you allow yourself to give any more credit to the writer who expresses a romantic take on personal cares than to one who is firm-minded and technical?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mean to say someone is wrong in voting with partiality...but isn't partiality what gave us Indiana Jones as the greatest film character of all time? I recall some sadness over that lol

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm not sure: It's hard to say exactly what it was that led ultimately to that.

Fortunately, I keep my sense of perspective. We can criticize literary guilds for acting like the lists they come up with are supremely definitive, but some of us don't even pretend that what this site does is perfect. What can you say but "Come on, guys, LOTR, seriously?"

Just no burning the place to the ground, okay?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll try not to lol Maybe I'll re-read 451 and just imagine it's Lord of the Rings only that gets burned lol

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, guys, but C&P beat me down somewhere about half way through. All the self-flagellation and angst felt like it stretched on forever to the point of feeling over-the-top. I could not bring myself to finish the book. I have a strong need for closure, so that almost never happens.

Perhaps I will revisit CRIME AND PUNISHMENT someday and my perception will change, but until then, it isn't winning any contests for me.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Books are emotive things. It's not always just about which is the better story or has the better writing. Factors such as the age you were when you read it first, who introduced you to or gave you the book, your emotional state at the time, etc all have a contributing factor to how you rate it personally. I read a book as a child called "The Phantom Tollbooth" (there was even an animated film made of it). Not a great book by anyones standards, but as a young kid I thought it was full of intelligent humour and concerned a solitary child which resonated with me personally. I have often looked for a really nice 1st edition, but alas nothing yet.
    Man, I loved that book! In junior high, we adapted the book into a stage play. I played Milo in our school production of The Phantom Tollbooth.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

this poll closes tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast