Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: The Official 2014 Oscar Contest Thread

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought DiCaprio was amazing in Wolf of Wall Street, it might even be his best work. McConaghey was great I just hope Leo doesn't passed up for too much longer. He's been nominated for Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the longest a person that has been nominated for an award but not won it is Susan Lucci...but then again that is the Emmy....lol.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Two entries into the "Grand Prize Giveaway for our winner, Heather!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Sorry I didn't get in on this, I'm lame.

Congrats to Heather! Again ... I guess ...

Thanks for hosting this again this year Mike!
    You said it. I think you should take the black and head to the wall. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Anyway, I don't know about everybody else, but I always suffer from the after Oscar blues. I look forward to the show all year and spend the better half of the last few months consuming every film I can that might be nominated for an Oscar. Oscar night is a lot of fun. I love watching people get recognized for some of my favorite films of the year. Then there is just this let down. I look at the films in theaters now, and there's nothing that excites me. This time of year is just a dumping ground.

I thought the show was enjoyable. Ellen did a nice job. I'm not a huge Ellen fan, she's a little too tame for my tastes. She did have a few nice jokes early that had some bite to them. I just wish she would have done some more creative things. I would have liked to see a pre-taped bit or something. I'm not a huge fan of the "in the audience" segments. I think they can be very hit or miss.

As for the actual awards. Leading up to the show, all the experts said it was going to be the closest Oscar races in all the categories in years. While I agree that all the categories were particularly strong this year, they were all pretty much locked up before the show even started. Except for Best Picture, which was between two films.

I have no problem with 12 Years A Slave winning. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but it had everything the Academy loves. I knew months ago after seeing the trailer that it would be a front runner. I'm happy for McConaughey, I think he's really hot right now. I'm loving his performance in True Detective as well. I think we have a really interesting story developing with Leo. It's going to be very interesting in the coming years to see if he finally wins an Oscar. Stay tuned.

It should be interesting to see what Leto does from here. He clearly has talent, kind of makes me wonder why it took him this long to utilize it. As for Lupita, I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but Lupita's career peaked last night and it will be downhill from here. I hope she proves me wrong, but I don't make the rules. Hollywood is not exactly kind to young, African American women. I can't wait to see what kind of path she chooses in the wake of hear Best Supporting Actress award.

Well, this was a lot of fun, guys. Heather won again, we gave it our best shot and a few of us came close, she was just better last night. That being said, why on Earth did you not pick Lupita, Heather?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Leto utilized it before, he was great in films like Requiem for a dream and Panic Room. I'm just glad to see him doing some more films after him spending so many years in his brother band.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Leto utilized it before, he was great in films like Requiem for a dream and Panic Room. I'm just glad to see him doing some more films after him spending so many years in his brother band.
    Good point. I'll clarify. Why hasn't he utilized it since 2002? Don't say it's because he went to pursue a music career. He made a few average movies before having the roles dry up in the mid-2000's. Obviously, he wasn't getting the scripts he wanted and decided to do something different. Hopefully there's more to come.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, just want to point out that Cuaron is the first Mexican director to win the BD award.

AHHH YEAHHHHH

VAMOS PA' ARRIBA MI RAZA

(shoots six shooters in the air)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I thought DiCaprio was amazing in Wolf of Wall Street, it might even be his best work. McConaghey was great I just hope Leo doesn't passed up for too much longer. He's been nominated for Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street.
    I'll have to look up the year The Departed came out. I'm curious now who was nominated then. And I've still to see The Aviator, and Blood Diamond. Is that second one any good, you never hear anyone talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Two entries into the "Grand Prize Giveaway for our winner, Heather!!!
    Thanks Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    That being said, why on Earth did you not pick Lupita, Heather?
    Jennifer was my wildcard spot. If there was going to be any surprises that night, I thought that'd be the one.

This year was filled with so many movies that honestly I could really care less about. I have no desire to see 12 Years a Slave, Captain Philips, Philomenia or Dallas Buyers Club. Even Nebraska doesn't interest me too much. The only ones I'm wanting to watch that I have yet to see are Gravity and Wolf of Wall Street. And out of the two I have seen, I absolutely loved Her, but hated American Hustle. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see more films with a wider appeal get some nominations.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Out of all of those you have to see Philomena, it's wonderful.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I'm the complete opposite of your view, Heather. I think this was one of the strongest years in terms of Best Picture nominees. Ironically, though, most of them I didn't expect to like, but they blew me away.

Way back in 2013, pre-Oscars buzz, Captain Phillips and Gravity didn't interest me at all (Gravity especially. I actually laughed at the trailer in the theater). I only saw them because they were nominated for Best Picture, and I am glad that I did. I really liked Captain Phillips and Gravity ended up being my favorite movie of 2013.

Philomena and Blue Jasmine (not BP-nominated, though) I didn't really know about pre-Oscars, but was really impressed with both.

I just enjoyed so many good films this Oscar season, and can't remember a past year's nominees that made me enjoy (or be excited from) film as much.

(I still haven't seen Nebraska or 12 Years a Slave.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish Judy Dench was my grandmother. She's probably one of my favorite actresses, no bull shit.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I wish Judy Dench was my grandmother. She's probably one of my favorite actresses, no bull shit.
    Wow, I never knew that. For some reason it really surprises me, I don't know why though

Ricky your review of Philomenia made me a little more interested in it. Maybe once they come out on dvd I'll check some of them out.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    This year was filled with so many movies that honestly I could really care less about. I have no desire to see 12 Years a Slave, Captain Philips, Philomenia or Dallas Buyers Club. Even Nebraska doesn't interest me too much. The only ones I'm wanting to watch that I have yet to see are Gravity and Wolf of Wall Street. And out of the two I have seen, I absolutely loved Her, but hated American Hustle.
    The only Oscar nominated film I really have no interest in seeing is Captain Philips. I've heard great things but everytime I see it mentioned I'm just like, meh.

How can you NOT want to watch 12 Years A Slave?! Considering it's pedigree, and the fact that it depicts one of the darkest times of American history, damn!

I want to see Dallas Buyers Club solely for McConaughey's performance. That guy has risen like the Phoenix from his own ashes to become a powerhouse actor. Bless em.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

12 Years A Slave should be required viewing for History majors and acting majors. It's a master's class in both. I'm with Ricky, it was one of the stronger years for film in recent memory.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't it just released on blu ray yesterday? Hell, I'm thinking of picking it up right after work.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Captain Phillips was good but I thought other movies were more deserving of that best picture slot.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I forgot to mention, Blood Diamond is a solid film. Not amazing or anything, but if you're trying to watch Leo films, it's a must.

Thanks, I'll have to add it to my queue.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This still somewhat pertains to the Oscars, so I will put it here.

Matthew McConaughey just won his first Oscar after putting together a great year with a small, but memorable role in The Wolf of Wall Street. A great performance in Mud and of course his Oscar winning performance in The Dallas Buyers Club where he literally transformed himself. That's just on the big screen. As we speak, McConaughey is turning in a powerhouse performance on a weekly basis on HBO's True Detective. His Emmy is surely already being carved.

McConaughey's rise from rom-com purgatory, to awards season staple even has its own name - mcconaissance. With all that being said, it didn't just happen over night. McConaughey has put together a bunch of strong performances that deserve some attention.

If I had to pinpoint a film where Matt started his rise, it would be 2008's Tropic Thunder. That's right, a comedy. McConaughey plays Ben Stiller's cooky agent that will stop at nothing to get his client TiVo. You could make a case that Matt already had a mcconaissance back in 2011. He turned to familiar ground as a lawyer in the criminally underrated Lincoln Lawyer. 2011 also included to Indy films. Bernie, where Matt turns in another strong supporting character performance and Killer Joe. In Killer Joe, McConaughey does some of his best work in years.

Now that McConaughey is hot, I hope people will go back and watch some of these films. McConaughey's rise didn't happen over night. It's been a few years of smart script choices and strong performances.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    This still somewhat pertains to the Oscars, so I will put it here.

Matthew McConaughey just won his first Oscar after putting together a great year with a small, but memorable role in The Wolf of Wall Street. A great performance in Mud and of course his Oscar winning performance in The Dallas Buyers Club where he literally transformed himself. That's just on the big screen. As we speak, McConaughey is turning in a powerhouse performance on a weekly basis on HBO's True Detective. His Emmy is surely already being carved.

McConaughey's rise from rom-com purgatory, to awards season staple even has its own name - mcconaissance. With all that being said, it didn't just happen over night. McConaughey has put together a bunch of strong performances that deserve some attention.

If I had to pinpoint a film where Matt started his rise, it would be 2008's Tropic Thunder. That's right, a comedy. McConaughey plays Ben Stiller's cooky agent that will stop at nothing to get his client TiVo. You could make a case that Matt already had a mcconaissance back in 2011. He turned to familiar ground as a lawyer in the criminally underrated Lincoln Lawyer. 2011 also included to Indy films. Bernie, where Matt turns in another strong supporting character performance and Killer Joe. In Killer Joe, McConaughey does some of his best work in years.

Now that McConaughey is hot, I hope people will go back and watch some of these films. McConaughey's rise didn't happen over night. It's been a few years of smart script choices and strong performances.
    I could not have said this better myself... I always thought he was a bit underrated.. I also think some of the best acting on TV he is putting out right now (Emmy... just give it to him now). I will be very sad when it ends this weekend. He deserved the Oscar... oh my how DiCaprio must be longing for that feeling... haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

DiCaprio seems to be getting the shaft like many other big name actors. Pacino comes to mind, but there a few others. Nicholson?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6