Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Thank you Brian.
    Delighted to obtain a lettered copy, personally I do not think I have seen another one for sale. Obviously there are collectors with them.
    The photographs for the first time ever were down to me, though still posted by Simon and logged into the catalogue.
    Many thanks Simon.
    Most welcome!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Traveler nyles45 will become famous soon enough nyles45 will become famous soon enough

Hi Alec,
    You've got an amazing collection! Thanks very much for letting us all see it! Can I ask which is your favourite book (disregarding price) and why?

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Good morning Nyles.
    My favourite book is a copy of The Stand (First Edition). It cost $350 quite a few years ago and it was purchased with the intention of reading it, not to collect. I wanted to read one of the finest stories in its original print. Deciding against this course of action I indulged myself with a red library copy.
    Without intent I had started a collection.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Traveler nyles45 will become famous soon enough nyles45 will become famous soon enough

That's an interesting answer, and a wise decision. I imagine the list of books you don't have is quite small at this point. Have you checked out Betts books list for things you may be missing? http://www.bettsbooks.com/w95020ai.html#supercollection
    Have a great weekend!
    J

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

The very first high end book that I purchased was Salem's Lot, Centipede Press. I sourced this through Emmanuel at Very Fine Books. Everything about the book, shipping and quality were exactly what I expected. Therefore I went back and have been doing so for many years.
    I am sure this loyalty is reflected by customers at Betts Books.
    It is just one of those things, we are all creatures of habit, book collectors more than most I believe.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my. very, very sweet!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoy following your collection thread Alec, thanks for being active on here.

Hi Alec,
    I understand your loyalty, and you have a great supplier, no question about that. I have not purchased from Betts Books either. I just found the site and saw some items there that I'd never seen before and thought you may be interested in having a peek.
    All of us are in awe of your collection and enjoy your participation in the forum.

Sincerely hope I will be participating for many years to come.
    There are many items to be found and then more after that!!
    Thank you all for the comments and compliments it is not only enlightening but much appreciated.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great new additions, Alec. I think I saw your collection a few weeks too early. The Green Mile and The Regulators Lettereds are high on my want list (even though I can't afford them at the moment). Awesome books including the Lettered Legends! Congratulations.

Good evening Jon, we shall catch up again prior to Christmas, I am sure.
    I see that you have been industrious on the purchasing front, very impressive!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Alec sent me some new photos of books he's recently acquired. We just had a discussion on these and he is over the moon with the quality and finish of Paul's EOTD rebind.

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a new find to Alec, he was lucky to get #1 though!

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

And finally a very, very nice signed copy of Different Seasons. This is difficult to find in VG+ condition, never mind the almost perfect copy that Alec has obtained. As always, he wanted to thank Emmanuel of veryfinebooks.com, for sourcing and tracking down such an exceptional copy with a beautiful signature as well. Note the date, this is earlier than the previously assumed publication date shown in the catalog (27th August 1982). I will also add a note to the catalog on this for discussion.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice adds!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

MY man Alec, always getting the tasty goodies!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations on your beautiful new books, Alec. Does the Fifty-to-one contain excerpts of stories by Hard Case? I'm not too familiar with its contents.

Simon, many thanks indeed, much appreciated.

Jon to answer your question, yes it does. I know it suffered heavy criticism due to the price of $750 that it was originally sold for, however it holds its ground with others I have seen in that price bracket.
    Many thanks as always for the kind words from everybody.
    Alec.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Congratulations on your beautiful new books, Alec. Does the Fifty-to-one contain excerpts of stories by Hard Case? I'm not too familiar with its contents.
    Jon (As always) the catalog is your friend...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Alec. I particularly like that copy of Different Seasons. And I'm pleased to see that you received the rebound book and that you are happy with it. Congratulations!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Actually I think it is a novel by Charles Ardai that utilizes as chapter titles the titles of the first 50 books published by Hard Case Crime. I don't think there is any writing by King or anyone else other than Ardai.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice additions Alec. What a gorgeous copy of Different Seasons.

And Bob is correct - Fifty-to-one is a novel by Ardai with chapter titles in chronological order of other Hard Case publications.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the information, guys.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Alec, I've just been spending another 20 minutes perusing this amazing collection - you must have one of the largest King collections in the UK, and yet only collecting for 3 years! Can I ask, have you been a King reader / fan for years and that directed you into collecting him, or did the appreciation come concurrently with collecting these collectible editions? Also, is there anything that you are especially after which you don't have as yet? Any "holy grail" you've not crossed paths with? Only if you feel comfortable to share it, of course. I always wonder what the canon collectors who have seemingly everything, have left to seek out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast