Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's 50th Published Novel

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In my mind, and for my collection rules, if it is published in HC and should be collected (again to my rules) it is a novel/book. I don't really make a designation, collection wise, between Fiction and non-fiction. It's always "books" to me. The single exception being "Faithful", and you all know where I stand in that regard.

Whatever the final consensus, I believe we all agree that it is an amazing body of work. It also offers some timeless tome's for future generations, The Shining, The Stand, 'Salem's Lot, TDT epic, IT, just to name a few.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Joyland, at nearly 80,000 words, is most definitely a novel. The Colorado Kid, at only 35,000 words, is less clearly one.
    Vincent, I agree with you. We should count Joyland as a novel, and not count The Colorado Kid & Cycle of the Werewolf.. This would make the upcoming Mr. Mercedes the big Five-O.. In checking Justin's latest 2013 edition, he classified Cycle of the Werewolf as a novella. The Colorado Kid as a novel, and Joyland as a novella. I am not understanding his logic with his classifications or he has The Colorado Kid and Joyland reversed. Maybe we can get Justin to chime in on this discussion..
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Both Joyland and The Colorado Kid are clearly novels. They're about the same length as the early Bachman novels.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Both Joyland and The Colorado Kid are clearly novels. They're about the same length as the early Bachman novels.
    Good point... you concede that Cycle of the Werewolf should not be classified as a novel?
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Will Mr. Mercedes meet the novel criteria though?
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    Good point... you concede that Cycle of the Werewolf should not be classified as a novel?
    Since Stephen King has always considered it a novel I'll continue also to consider it a novel. Thus the 50th novel was unequivocally Joyland. Since Mr. Mercedes is around 500 pages and also referred to as a novel, it'll be a novel.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The first four Bachman books are much longer than people realize. Even the shortest of them is nearly twice as long as The Colorado Kid. Joyland is comfortably a novel. The Colorado Kid -- that would be a judgement call.

Rage = 55,000
    The Long Walk = 85,000
    The Running Man = 65,000
    Roadwork = 90,000

Michael Jackson Darkday is on a distinguished road Darkday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    The reason I would count The Colorado Kid is because the book was published as a crime novel.
    I just re-read the original press release by Hardcase Crime. To me it looks like they carefully avoided using the term "novel":

Winterfall LLC, creator of the celebrated Hard Case Crime line of pulp-style paperback crime novels, today announced that a new book by Stephen King will be the lead title of the line’s second year. [...] The book was written specifically for Hard Case Crime and has never previously been published. [...] The book will be published through Winterfall’s ongoing collaboration with Dorchester Publishing, the oldest independent mass-market publisher in the United States. The book will also be available in audiobook and e-book editions from Simon & Schuster, publisher of Stephen King’s work since 1998. [...] "We originally contacted him to see if he’d be willing to write a blurb for our line, and he decided that what he really wanted to do was write a book for us instead. [...]"
    Source

Country
    Country Flag

Another thing that to me makes Cycle of the Werewolf a novel is that it has a dedication. Short stories or novellas for the most part do not have dedications.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is just fascinating. I don't really care what's counted as a novel, novella, novelette, or toilet paper (which is how Merlin would probably classify Faithful). As someone who studied literature, I'm just intrigued by the conversation!

And for the record, as long as he keeps writing, I don't care how many "novels" he's written!

Country
    Country Flag

Well it sort of is important, I think. King has written a quantifiable amount of works. It sometimes peeves me a bit when often in news articles or reports they refer to him having written X amount of novels or this many books or (I've seen this) 400 or so short stories (when it's also an exact number and much less than that). So the 50th novel and the 50th book should theoretically be important career mileposts. Hopefully we'll get to his 100th book before there won't be any more.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

COTW is not a novel. I don't think there is any legitimate debate about it unless the term has no definition beyond "a work of fiction." If we use the accepted modern day US definitions then it just doesn't qualify.

As far as it being listed on the SK.com site as a novel, the site also lists Salem's Lot Illustrated Edition, The Plant (incomplete e-book) and each Green Mile segment separately. It also fails to list the Grant Dark Tower books but does list the Viking and Scribner versions. It is hardly an authoritative source for answers to this question.

The Colorado Kid, while a little short by word count should rise to the level of "novel" in my humble opinion. The Stand Complete and Uncut qualifies in its own right.

Counting both would make Joyland the 50th novel. This would be the correct count without extra qualifications.

Counting only discrete novels would discount TSCU as partially previously published and make Doctor Sleep the 50th novel.

Further limiting the list by some arbitrary criteria, such as a word count, would be necessary to make Mr. Mercedes the 50th.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    As far as it being listed on the SK.com site as a novel, the site also lists Salem's Lot Illustrated Edition, The Plant (incomplete e-book) and each Green Mile segment separately. It also fails to list the Grant Dark Tower books but does list the Viking and Scribner versions. It is hardly an authoritative source for answers to this question.
    Again, it's listed under novels in all King books with an Also By page. You can't get more authoritative than black and white in an official King book.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Again, it's listed under novels in all King books with an Also By page. You can't get more authoritative than black and white in an official King book.
    Are you sure that they include ALL of his books, even those published by other publishers?
    I've noticed that, from time to time, in some french books. Omitting books released by other publishers
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With SK at least I've noticed that his book lists usually include his whole bibliography.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I meant US books.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG, there are 3 pages of posts on this!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Yeah - you wonder why everyone is passionate about a bunch of books. Oh wait where am I posting again......
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

Yeah - you wonder why everyone is passionate about a bunch of books. Oh wait where am I posting again......
    but it is really an interesting topic. We've just had a passionate debate in Dutch Hill as to what should or shouldn't be considered a novel (by the way, the Top half of the 100 Novels list is now being voted on), and haven't come to a conclusive opinon.

Now that I saw this thread, I first decided to check how many King novels I would be able to remember within 5 minutes. The resulting list contained 46 titles: I forgot Green Mile and didn't count in Mr.Mercedes, which makes it 48; but I could never have guessed that the other missing two - Cycle of the Werewolf and The Colorado Kid - were also novels.

As many people have said in this thread, they are just too short. If they are novels, why Sun Dog or The Langoliers (etc) aren't? Only because the former were published separately and the latter make part of collections?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

In a word, yes. That's how the author sees these works. To me that's all-important. Everything else is secondary.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

In a word, yes. That's how the author sees these works. To me that's all-important. Everything else is secondary.
    Feel free to do a recount then. He considers all DT books "one long novel." Straight from his mouth at the Toronto event.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    He considers all DT books "one long novel.
    precisely as I do. Luckily, we entered it as "one long novel" into Top 100.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Feel free to do a recount then. He considers all DT books "one long novel." Straight from his mouth at the Toronto event.
    That's different, not really the same. He's obviously not speaking literally. You can't with all due respect view The Dark Tower as a single novel. It's been published with many years in between volumes, all very different from one another. And the first volume could also technically be considered a collection.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

But that's how the author sees it. Can't argue with that!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

I only meant to kid everyone is all. Goblin's are too intense!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast