Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: What's more collectible/desirable???

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What's more collectible/desirable???

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question...

What do you think is considered more collectible/desirable, a Galley Proof, or an ARC?
    "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SirFolio16 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Just a quick question...

What do you think is considered more collectible/desirable, a Galley Proof, or an ARC?
    I'd say "Galley Proof". IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It depends on how many of each are available. Most of King's works have one or the other available, but not both. To me, they're both equally collectable.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    It depends on how many of each are available. Most of King's works have one or the other available, but not both. To me, they're both equally collectable.

John
    Good point, but I still like a "Galley" over anything else.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Bill. An ARC usually looks like a paperback version of the trade hardcover edition, which to me is very boring. Proofs usually look very plain but I like that, it reflects exactly what they are - little pieces of publishing history, 'work-in-progress' versions of books.

I basically only collect older proofs (up to the mid-1990s) and I do own the Pet Sematary and Thinner ARCs (because, as John said, sometimes they're the only pre-publication state available). But they're not my favorites.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with John--both are desirable....
    Look at Doctor Sleep US and UK proofs. VERY few have surfaced(so far)-I think we may see more soon but who knows? Look at the proof for CELL--very hard to find....

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

It is a question that may not have a single best answer for every book. At times the terms proof and ARC are interchangeable and/or synonymous. Some books have proofs and ARCs published, some have only proofs and some only ARCs.

Personally, if there are two or more prepublication states done and available to collectors then the earlier state is the most collectible. So, in most cases, a galley proof is more collectible than an ARC, IMO.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob
    So true.
    Depends on the book. I have some "proofs" at home of course that have the word "galley" on them.
    I think I like the "manuscripts" best!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Earlier is better, but (for me) only to a certain extent: I've never felt the need to collect manuscripts (bound or not), for example. For reasons I can't explain I simply have a weak spot for proofs - especially the Viking and Doubleday proofs (not that I own any Doubledays of course).

*edit: I forgot to mention in my first post that I own a Carrie ARC, of course. Even though it's not a proof it is one of my favorites (the exception to the rule).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    Depends on the book. I have some "proofs" at home of course that have the word "galley" on them.
    Exactly. The terminology is fluid, unfortunately. It would be nice if the nomenclature would stay the same over the years. The term "galley proof," to me anyway, refers to the long galley pages that were printed in only a few copies and were strictly for in house proofreading and editing. These would never be sent out to reviewers. They were working copies for proofers and editors.

Nowadays, as you said, Mike, review copies get sent out to reviewers with the words "galley proof" or "advance uncorrected proof" printed on the front page. It can be very confusing. Often we aren't really even talking about the same thing.

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

This is actually what I was reffering to in my original post "refers to the long galley pages that were printed in only a few copies and were strictly for in house proofreading and editing. These would never be sent out to reviewers. They were working copies for proofers and editors. "

To me the Galley Proof is a very plain copy of the book in a raw form (usually on 8 1/2 x 11 paper) that was used for the proof readers and editiors...

This is actually what I was reffering to in my original post "refers to the long galley pages that were printed in only a few copies and were strictly for in house proofreading and editing. These would never be sent out to reviewers. They were working copies for proofers and editors. "

To me the Galley Proof is a very plain copy of the book in a raw form (usually on 8 1/2 x 11 paper) that was used for the proof readers and editiors...
    Then there are different types of galleys. I don't have many examples of these but here is the final galley proof of The Shining. This is sometimes referred to as an unbound galley. The pages, in this case, are 6 inches by 24 inches. Usually less than five such copies exist but that would, of course, vary.

Then, later in the process, comes the bound galley. This is more like a finished book. In this case I think 50-55 copies were printed.

It can be and is very confusing to those of us not in the publishing industry when terms get used in different ways to describe different states.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we are talking about the same thing... I am pretty sure they have just started using a more standard size paper over time.... however I could be wrong....

I think we are talking about the same thing... I am pretty sure they have just started using a more standard size paper over time.... however I could be wrong....
    I am thinking that there must be a specific point to your question. Care to share?

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Not really a specific point... I am new to the whole Galley/ARC/Proof collecting scene... and I am trying to get a better feel for what I should be looking for, and if I have to make a choice at some point between any of the below mentioned items what would be the best choice...

At the moment I only have an ARC of The Dark Man... signed and remarqued by Cahdbourne.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also like the manuscripts. With most of these, however, there is no way to verify provenance--they are relatively easy to reproduce. I also collect F&Gs (folded and gathered) which are the actual signatures of the book before they are bound. I have a number of these. Actually, I like the pre-publication items in general.

John

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Stand S/L vs Salem's Lot S/L

Here is a good one I think. Which would you prefer to own and why?
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand s/l without a doubt. The production quality can't be beat.

John

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

John,

I have to agree. The Stand S/L production quality is comparable to that of todays "Lettered" editions.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

They both have a timeless, classy look. They're both great but I like 'Salem's Lot just a little more.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it would be The Stand S/L as well... it really is an amazing book.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I concur. The Stand S/L for me too.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I may be the only one, but I don't like the Salem's Lot S/L. So its The Stand for me.